Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #76
TheSchragFamily
Mouseketeer

Some phrases might be equivocal, but to me, "ball and chain" is so silly that there's no way he meant it disrespectfully. He's not a 1940s cartoon character!!!
TheSchragFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajak73 View Post
I hope you are not standing next to me in the store when my DW calls on the phone, sirens go off and the phone says, "Warning, it's the wife calling, warning, it's the wife calling!" Oh, by the way, we have been married for 39 years so there's a lot of little jokes between us that is NO ONE ELSES BUSINESS!
DH has the same ringtone for me.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #78
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
DH has the same ringtone for me.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #79
jgh
Peter Pan!

Even if it's a joke and meant to be taken lightly, I don't take things said like that in that way. I hate when people refer to their wives as "the old ball and chain". I hate when I see those stupid shirts saying "Game Over"...with the bride and groom. It's disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. That's just my opinion though. I guess I just don't see the humor in it.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #80
SAT
Earning My Ears

My DH, DS and I were on layover in an airport. DH and DS headed off to the restroom while I waited alone at our gate. As they were heading back an announcement came on about reporting unattended bags. DH asked my son if they should report me for sitting there alone.

I thought is was funny and disrespectful never entered my mind.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #81
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

I see no problem with it either. My DH and I use sarcasm as affection on a daily basis.

I also have a special phrase my DD10 and I use. Whenever she does something wrong (nothing major) or silly I say to her, "Better get ready for your beating!" and she responds back with "beat me, beat me!" Her "beating" is tickling and I tickle her until she cries uncle. Another one is when she is grumpy or miserable I say, "the beatings will continue until morale improves" and that usually gets her laughing. I am sure if someone heard me in public saying this they would call CYS!
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #82
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Wouldn't bother me hearing the statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
Even if it's a joke and meant to be taken lightly, I don't take things said like that in that way. I hate when people refer to their wives as "the old ball and chain". I hate when I see those stupid shirts saying "Game Over"...with the bride and groom. It's disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. That's just my opinion though. I guess I just don't see the humor in it.
You have every right to feel the way you do just as others have their right to find the humor in it.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #83
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspiglet View Post
I see no problem with it either. My DH and I use sarcasm as affection on a daily basis.
That's how my family was when I was growing up (and DH and I are now). If someone wasn't feeding you sarcasm, you didn't feel loved and appreciated. It was VERY hard for me when I met DH's family because they do NOT speak or appreciate sarcasm (luckily, DH does) and they thought I was very rude when they first me me...I thought ALL families acted like we did to each other.

As long as I remember, my Dad used to always refer to my Mom (especially when she was right there) as "My wife, whatshername"
scrapquitler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #84
Sam81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh View Post
Well said! I would be so offended if my wife referred to me as anything else besides King, Handsome Sam, Lord Amazing and/or Sex Panther.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #85
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
Well said! I would be so offended if my wife referred to me as anything else besides King, Handsome Sam, Lord Amazing and/or Sex Panther.
What?! No, Master of the Universe?!?!

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #86
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

My extended family is very sarcastic. When my younger dd was around 6, she didn't understand why people were talking like that at a family gathering. My niece, who was 16 at the time told her "this is how we show love, get used to it". That is our family motto now.

My sister has a Darth Vader theme as my ringtone. She tells me she cracks up every time I call.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #87
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

If she was attractive I think this is an example of irony. It's a compliment.
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #88
dismichelle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom
I used to have a tag that said "It's not your day to eat. Maybe tomorrow". Whenever my DD used to whine about being hungry that's what I'd say to her. Once we noticed the horrified looks on people's faces it became even more amusing. I would say that (and BTW I'm overweight) to this little, tiny skinny kid and then she would look at me with the most pathetic face and say something like "I understand, it's okay" or "It's okay, I can wait". And we'd walk off laughing our butts off at the people who were left in our wake, completely dumbfounded. Sarcasm spoken fluently.
I'm so using this from now on. I have 4 kids, so I think I'll assign each of them a day during the week and tell them they can rotate out on the weekends. I can see this becoming a joke for years to come and something I'm sure I'd say while grocery shopping as well. I hope anyone that's overhearing us has a good sense of humor, otherwise I might be just be reported to the authorities.
dismichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #89
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

And, I hate the word hate. And, I strongly dislike when people stick their nose in other people's business. Looks like we can't all be happy.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #90
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

My DH refers to me as many silly things like that, especially in public. Most of the time he just does whatever it takes to get an eye roll and a smile out of me.

The other day we were in Costco and he wanted a hot dog. The lady asked if I wanted anything to eat too and he told her I was only allowed to eat the free onions and ketchup from the condiment bar .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: