Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM   #61
jen0610
DIS Veteran

DH will call me "the old lady". And seeing as I am 14 months older than him, I am his old lady.

I would have taken it as being an inside joke with them.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #62
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I would have to see how the whole conversation went, what the husband's general tone & attitude were etc.

One can usually tell when a comment is made in a loving way, even if the wording of the comment itself might be a bit . And one can usually tell when someone is being disrespectful.

As far as the MYOB thing...well does anyone every truly MYOB all the time? Of course not. We all have something that really doesn't concern us that we will still note and perhaps comment about. For some folks it's what they overhear in a public place, for some folks it's what their neighbors are doing, for some folks it's what their co-workers are doing. But we all, every once in awhile, mind someone else's business.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #63
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I don't know if she was upset or mot. I just found it terribly disrespectful.y.DH has NEVER said things like that my or my children's presence
I would be more likely to think he was being disrespectful if he were saying that sort of thing OUT of her presence. Then, you might think he actually kind of feels that way--but such an over the top, cliche, phrase with her there? Eh, I'd guess it were a joke. If anything, most of the time when someone jokes like that, they feel the exact opposite of that things--which is what makes t funny to them.

Sort of like when we call DD16 and or DS14 when we are out of the house. We'll say something like, we just left the grocery store, so you have about 15 minutes to get all of your party animal friends out of the house and the empty beer bottles stashed away. We don;t think they have been drinking or would throw a party, etc. We just want them to get the garage door opened for us, or when DH is texting his boss back, or bidding on some new stereo equipment and I ask him how is girlfriend is doing--I'm not accusing him of having an affair--I'm joking with him about being on his phone.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #64
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
We just want them to get the garage door opened for us, or when DH is texting his boss back, or bidding on some new stereo equipment and I ask him how is girlfriend is doing--I'm not accusing him of having an affair--I'm joking with him about being on his phone.
That's funny...I remember as kids when my dad would call home and we would tell my mom "it's your boyfriend".

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #65
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
DH &I were in Costco yesterday. I walked by a man standing with his two young sons just in time to hear him say, "let's find the old ball &chain.". Pretty loud, too. And his very attractive wife was standing less than 10 ft away. She had to have heard him. I didn't say anything, but I was offended. How could he speak that way about his wife, especially in public AND in the presence of his boys? Nice going, Crap Dad, teaching your kids how to treat women.

If my DH talked about me like that ,it would be game on!
I hope you are not standing next to me in the store when my DW calls on the phone, sirens go off and the phone says, "Warning, it's the wife calling, warning, it's the wife calling!" Oh, by the way, we have been married for 39 years so there's a lot of little jokes between us that is NO ONE ELSES BUSINESS!
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #66
Sam81
Mouseketeer

OMG! OP I would have been so offended and devastated that my day would literally been ruined. Is there anyway you can track this person down? I am afraid of the wife suffering even more verbal abuse.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #67
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

I used to have a tag that said "It's not your day to eat. Maybe tomorrow". Whenever my DD used to whine about being hungry that's what I'd say to her. Once we noticed the horrified looks on people's faces it became even more amusing. I would say that (and BTW I'm overweight) to this little, tiny skinny kid and then she would look at me with the most pathetic face and say something like "I understand, it's okay" or "It's okay, I can wait". And we'd walk off laughing our butts off at the people who were left in our wake, completely dumbfounded. Sarcasm spoken fluently.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #68
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorsenuf View Post
I don't see the problem. I'm sure he was just fooling around. My husband and I do that all the time. Our kids know that too. Hardly anything to get your panties in a bunch about.

What have things become that now even messing around with your loved ones in not PC anymore. Some days I really weep for our future.
Yup...us too. DH always jokes "it's time to trade you in for a new model" now that I'm over 40. I know he's just joking. We've been together for 23 years.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #69
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post
I used to have a tag that said "It's not your day to eat. Maybe tomorrow". Whenever my DD used to whine about being hungry that's what I'd say to her. Once we noticed the horrified looks on people's faces it became even more amusing. I would say that (and BTW I'm overweight) to this little, tiny skinny kid and then she would look at me with the most pathetic face and say something like "I understand, it's okay" or "It's okay, I can wait". And we'd walk off laughing our butts off at the people who were left in our wake, completely dumbfounded. Sarcasm spoken fluently.
I used to date a guy who would start all these bizarre conversations when we were eating at Denny's or sitting at the bus stop, in elevators, or any other high evesdrop location. They were absolutely hysterical and you had to be quick on your feet to keep up AND keep a straight face. One time he was doing out some story on how he couldn't leave his wife for me because she tended to get over emotional and how I should list someone else on the birth certificate as the father of my baby and so on when this old lady walked up to him, slapped him across the face, and then stormed off. After that he toned it down a bit.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #70
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Yup...us too. DH always jokes "it's time to trade you in for a new model" now that I'm over 40. I know he's just joking. We've been together for 23 years.
Yep. When DH turned 40 I told him I was going to trade him in for 2 20's.

We also have an ongoing dialogue about me running off with Raoul the pool man. We don't know a Raoul or have a pool.

As much as DH and I respect and show respect for one another (one of his rants to DS when he was younger was, "It's not that you don't speak to your mother that way, it's that you DON'T treat MY WIFE that way" left a huge impression on DS), I think it's also important for the kids to know that we can kid around and have fun as well as be the disciplinarians.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."

Last edited by lovesmurfs; 01-28-2013 at 10:19 AM.
lovesmurfs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #71
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
OMG! OP I would have been so offended and devastated that my day would literally been ruined. Is there anyway you can track this person down? I am afraid of the wife suffering even more verbal abuse.

OMG this is hysterical. LOL!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKsMom View Post

I love sarcastic twisted humor. So I would be laughing at a comment like that, "ball & chain". LMAO!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #72
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

We say stuff to eachother like that all the time. It keeps us laughing. Together 31 years and my DH still cracks me up. The kids have developed similar senses of humor, so we all laugh together. It's a good thing.

If it were true abuse, that would be a different story. I think you can tell, like others have said, by the context of the details of the situation.

I do get, though, that to some people, saying certain things would never be ok. Maybe that's how you were raised, Minkydog?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #73
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Lighten up, Francis.

Just don't put the immediately preceding lines on a Tshirt that you then wear on an airplane...
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #74
rajak73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I used to date a guy who would start all these bizarre conversations when we were eating at Denny's or sitting at the bus stop, in elevators, or any other high evesdrop location. They were absolutely hysterical and you had to be quick on your feet to keep up AND keep a straight face. One time he was doing out some story on how he couldn't leave his wife for me because she tended to get over emotional and how I should list someone else on the birth certificate as the father of my baby and so on when this old lady walked up to him, slapped him across the face, and then stormed off. After that he toned it down a bit.
rajak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #75
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH &I were in Costco yesterday. I walked by a man standing with his two young sons just in time to hear him say, "let's find the old ball &chain.". Pretty loud, too. And his very attractive wife was standing less than 10 ft away. She had to have heard him. I didn't say anything, but I was offended. How could he speak that way about his wife, especially in public AND in the presence of his boys? Nice going, Crap Dad, teaching your kids how to treat women.

If my DH talked about me like that ,it would be game on!
I am a married female. I would not be offended. It's probably a joke between them. Heck, I've even bought and signed a card for DH "I love you, the ole ball and chain".

All due respect, but I think so many people now are offended by things too easily. For example, I am still shaking my head over the older threads where some were offended by the word "ma'am" or men holding doors open.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: