Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #31
littleteapot
Privileged to be learning from the DIS-masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
I don't think I have ever heard some one say "old ball and chain" to be disrespectful, only as a joke or in a kidding around way.
this

Wow Disneyland was Fantastic November 2005, Loved the World November 2006, Back to the Land January 2008, 10 days of fun December 2008, 7 days weren't quite enough December 2009, Mom and Daughter trip to Disneyland July 2012
littleteapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I don't even know how that phrase could be considered disrespectful
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #33
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I hate being called "Old lady." The one time my husband called me that when we were dating, it cost him jewelry and a tongue lashing of epic proportions. I still don't know why he thought I'd find that funny.

I suppose it depends on the people and the relationship.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #34
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

It's impossible to understand context and family dynamics from a thirty second interaction at Costco. Be glad, OP, that you have a different family dynamic.

My November 2015 PTR-Heigh Ho Ho HO!
3Gsandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #35
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
You just made the list, buddy.

Got to love a good Stripes quote.
I don't like that movie. Therefore the line offends me.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #36
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I didn't say anything, but I was offended.
I can't picture myself being offended by something a stranger says to his wife.

And, if it were me consider yourself extremely lucky that you didn't say anything.

-------------------------------------------------------

Every time I've ever heard the "ball & chain" comment, it has been used in a joking manner.

I've also heard, and tell, lots of Mother in Law jokes, but they are just that....jokes.

You might save a lot of grief by trying to not be personally offended at eavesdropped conversations of strangers.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

My DH would say that kind of stuff out loud at stores, for the benefit of our DD and strangers nearby. I would return the barb with a few of my own. It was all in fun, and it was special, endearing, and done with love.

My DH is passed away now. DD is grown and moved away. I miss those times but I have the memories. Thanks for these posts.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

If strangers heard some of the things my family members jokingly say to each other, they would probably interpret the comments as disrespectful. But we joke around with each other a lot. I think the guy was probably joking. The comment wouldn't bother me.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #39
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I don't know if she was upset or mot. I just found it terribly disrespectful.y.DH has NEVER said things like that my or my children's presence
Did you ever see "The Princess Bride?" Remember the part where the narrator said:

Quote:
That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying "As you wish", what he meant was, "I love you."
My Mom has a nickname for my Dad. It's a spinoff of something a beloved, long since passed, family member once said. Someone who didn't know us, or the context, might think she was insulting Dad.

When she says it, she's saying "I love you."

When she says it, my Dad hears "I love you".

She uses it in private and in public, cause I don't think she much cares who hears her tell Dad that she loves him. And I know he loves to hear her use that nickname, no matter where it's said.

No one outside of that family in Costco will ever know the meaning of "ball & chain" to them. To you, it's disrespectful, to her, it could have meant "I love you."
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #40
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momvic5 View Post
My dd was standing right in front of a display of glass and mirrored balls - the ones that are to be arranged in a bowl. She immediately says, "You could get a bowl and put a few of these balls in it." Without thinking I reply, "No, we have enough balls in our house." (-And yes. I meant it as a crack at the boys in our home.) She laughs and says, "True." We start to continue down the aisle, and as I look up, I notice a lady is frowning at me, but her husband is laughing. I guess they overheard our comments.....I just smiled and continued shopping.
Ummmmmm....tag fairy? LOL
meliss8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #41
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

nvm

Last edited by phorsenuf; 01-27-2013 at 04:58 PM.
phorsenuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #42
caitlinsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
I'm convinced if the outside world heard 1/2 the things we say to each other in a very saracastic kidding way they would be mortified. However...now if a stranger came up to us and said the same thing -- would be totally offensive.

This reminds me of DD's ringtone for me! People get all upset with her because she has Ding Dong the Witch is Dead for my ringtone on her phone. I think it's hilarious!!! She tells me, people get all bent out of shape when it rings & she says "oh that's my mom calling".
My ring tone for my mom is "Ding Dong the Witch is dead" also. I'll be somewhere with my DD and her friend, my phone will ring and her friends yell "your mom is calling". It's not meant to be mean, my mom's name is Dorothy and wanted a Wizard of Oz song for her ringtone.
caitlinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #43
goofinoff
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
I feel like we are in the middle of A Very Brady Idol

Why do you care what someone you don't even know says to his wife who you don't know? He wasn't saying it to you, he wasnt saying it about you or your mother or sister or daughter. I will never understand the whole "that offends me" way of thinking. I think that is one of the problems we have these days. We can't do or say anything because we may offend someone. God forbid we wish someone a merry CHRISTMAS! It may offend someone! Oh sorry, I said God! I hope I didn't offend anyone! I say lighten up. There are bigger issues in this world to worry about.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #44
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne M View Post
Did you ever see "The Princess Bride?" Remember the part where the narrator said:

My Mom has a nickname for my Dad. It's a spinoff of something a beloved, long since passed, family member once said. Someone who didn't know us, or the context, might think she was insulting Dad.

When she says it, she's saying "I love you."

When she says it, my Dad hears "I love you".

She uses it in private and in public, cause I don't think she much cares who hears her tell Dad that she loves him. And I know he loves to hear her use that nickname, no matter where it's said.

No one outside of that family in Costco will ever know the meaning of "ball & chain" to them. To you, it's disrespectful, to her, it could have meant "I love you."

My husband and I speak the language of sarcasm to each other. It's very much affection-based.

ThreeBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #45
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

Getting offended on behalf on somebody else never leads to good things. If the wife was offended, I'm sure she is capable of addressing the situation her way. I know my "ball and chain" does.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: