Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
monicainindy
Mouseketeer

Husband now partially immobile for our vacation

So my DH managed to fall down our steps yesterday and tore his patella. Had surgery this morning and will be in a combination of crutches/wheelchair for our spring break trip in 4 weeks.

Should we consider canceling this? I know we can rent the mobile wheelchairs at the parks, just wonder what the odds are of getting one.

Anyone with experience in this area, would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks
monicainindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Ooooooh! Hope your husband is feeling better soon. I'd rent an ECV from an offsite location. They are smaller and easier to maneuver than the big park ones. It would be alot cheaper, he'd have it all the time, and he'd be guaranteed a seat on the buses. We've used both Apple Scooters and Walker's Mobility. Apple is one of the listed Preferred Providers that can deliver a scooter and leave it waiting for you at luggage services.

I have one rented from Apple for my mom for our May trip. Eleven days is $186.38 (including tax and insurance).
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I personally would postpone the trip because it's not just the getting around, it's the getting in and out of things.

If you are OK with skipping things that might be difficult to get in or out of - then you are good to go.

If you haven't checked it out yet, the disABIlLITIES FAQs thread will be very helpful. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Post 2 is about renting wheelchairs and mobility scooters. I agree with the previous poster about renting from one of the offsite places. The distances even just between places in your resort are quite large and getting from the bus stop to the park entrance where you could rent a wheelchair or scooter is also quite a distance.

There are other posts on that thread that will be helpful for you as well. Posts 18 through 22 have information about using a wheelchair or scooter at attractions. They also have information about the steps down or up to get into rides and how difficult to transfer it is.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicainindy View Post
So my DH managed to fall down our steps yesterday and tore his patella. Had surgery this morning and will be in a combination of crutches/wheelchair for our spring break trip in 4 weeks.

Should we consider canceling this? I know we can rent the mobile wheelchairs at the parks, just wonder what the odds are of getting one.

Anyone with experience in this area, would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks
a few questions for you:
how easy is it for you to reschedule? Like for my DH that would be a HUGE issue with his job. So I would have to take that into consideration...He can't really reschedule vacations. He would just have to take the week and we wouldn't get to go... We'd just have to postpone until the following year.

is it just you and DH? or are you taking kids? If it's just you and DH, I would be more inclined to say go ahead and go. if it involves kids, I'd be more inclined to say reschedule because it's going to be harder to corral kids and have to deal w/ DH's 'issues'

What are you hoping to 'get out of this trip'? Will you be happy touring at a more relaxed pace and stopping to smell the roses and doing things at a slower pace? Or were you hoping to see absolutely as much as possible and tour at a commando pace? If you would be happy touring at a relaxed pace and enjoy the parks that way, then I say go for it!

I would definitely rent your DH an ECV from an offsite company. He's going to need it for around your resort too! And there is quite a distance from where the buses drop you off to the park entrances. That's quite a long walk on crutches.

As long as he is healing well and he is not in pain, I think it is quite doable. Honestly, you may find you enjoy Disney in a different way because of the fact that it 'forces' you to slow down and you will see things in a different light. Well at least that is MHO! When you aren't in such a hurry all the time, it's amazing some of the things you see! That you don't realize you have missed before... Good Luck with your Decision, But more importantly Good Luck with your DH's recovery!!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: