Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #46
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!

Last edited by tinkerbellfan6880; 01-28-2013 at 04:51 PM.
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #47
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellfan6880 View Post
Yes I have had a cashier at a bookstore say something to me one time. I was a Barnes & Noble in my town back in the summer of 2007 I think. I went into the store to buy a couple of astronomy magazines that only B&N sold that I couldn't find anywhere else. I had five new one dollar bills that day that I had just gotten from the bank. After I handed over the dollar bills the cashier made a joke that because the bills were sticking together. Had asked if I had made that money myself that morning.

Which I found to be not funny because making money like that is against the law. It was just not funny at all to me. I know she said it as a joke but I mean come on you don't make comments like that to someone. Went out to the car and told my father what had happened and we went back in to talk to a manager about what happened.

The manager said that they would talk to that cashier. Plus I should add that this was not a teenager that made the comment it was an adult that made the comment and should have known better to say that. I hope I am making sense writing this out it has been a couple of years but something I would never forget.
I think you might have over-reacted a bit there, as that's a pretty common saying. I've had customers say it to me before when I handed them crisp bills.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #48
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecracker725

I think you might have over-reacted a bit there, as that's a pretty common saying. I've had customers say it to me before when I handed them crisp bills.
Never had it said to me before because I have never really gotten crisp bills before. I always seem to get the bills that are falling apart. I guess I did over-react was not feeling good that day.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #49
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellfan6880

Never had it said to me before because I have never really gotten crisp bills before. I always seem to get the bills that are falling apart. I guess I did over-react was not feeling good that day.
I have handed some crisp bills over before, and told the cashier they mike stick together I got them fresh off the press this morning .....Always brings a smile to their face and that special market they use..
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #50
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes I have had a cashier at a bookstore say something to me one time. I was a Barnes & Noble in my town back in the summer of 2007 I think. I went into the store to buy a couple of astronomy magazines that only B&N sold that I couldn't find anywhere else. I had five new one dollar bills that day that I had just gotten from the bank. After I handed over the dollar bills the cashier made a joke that because the bills were sticking together. Had asked if I had made that money myself that morning.

Which I found to be not funny because making money like that is against the law. It was just not funny at all to me. I know she said it as a joke but I mean come on you don't make comments like that to someone. Went out to the car and told my father what had happened and we went back in to talk to a manager about what happened.

The manager said that they would talk to that cashier. Plus I should add that this was not a teenager that made the comment it was an adult that made the comment and should have known better to say that. I hope I am making sense writing this out it has been a couple of years but something I would never forget.
That wouldn't have offended me at all. Heck, I might have said that to the cashier as I handed her the money (I don't think anyone really counterfeits one dollar bills, anyway).

My rude comment experience came when I bought some frozen pizza, soda pop, and candy. The cashier went on and on how nothing was healthy that I had. I just said, yeah, but I was kind of offended. I figured we could eat what we wanted for "movie night" without the judgment.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #51
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Quote:

I would have looked her squarely in the eye and said something like,

"The ones and fives always seem to stick to each other, that never seems to happen with the 20's and 50's. It must be the different ink I use."
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #52
Tinkh
DIS Veteran

I would have just said a nice prayer that some day that cashier would know that spending that little amount on your steaks isn't some giant splurge. In her mind, that is a big splurge obviously. She probably has to work 3-4 hours on her feet just to be able to afford that. As far as the organic milk ones, that would be working one hour on their feet just to be able to buy that.
The story about the counterfeit money joke? Really? You tried to get someone in trouble at their job for making a dumb joke?
I guess that I try everyday to see how blessed my life is. I can't imagine going back to a place in my life where it would be a hardship to buy decent food for my family. I am beyond blessed and I am so utterly grateful.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #53
MScott1851
Got a link for those Trip Reports? ;)
Type A Travel Planner
I'm a complete sucker for a drop dead gorgeous dress and strappy heels

I am blissfully oblivious about what they may think about what I buy, because I've worked retail and food service, and you can't imagine the weird stuff that people buy, every day. I know that unless I'm buying live chickens, rubber sheets, and two hatchets ands one poison I am pretty normal.

I don't even care. Walgreens had a decent paper goods sale a few weeks ago. I rolled up with a cart with a jumbo box of pads, two boxes of pantyliners, a big box of tampons, flushable wipes for me, some Thermacare patches, my daughters night time pull-ups, some flushable wipes for her, some Advil for both of us, a Digiornio pizza and a big thing of chocolate marked down from Christmas. I am sure that the cashier was afraid to say anything!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #54
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:

Seriously?? Wow.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #55
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

I just figure that the cashier is trying to be friendly and make small talk, it's boring scanning all that stuff all day long and not talking to people, so you make some small talk, commiserate with the customer about the prices and the weather, try to make the baby laugh, etc. (I used to be a cashier back in ancient times) Any dumb comments that the cashier makes and SO irrelevant to me that they don't even register. Do people really care that the cashier comments about what they are buying?? SO not even on my radar.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #56
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott1851 View Post
I am blissfully oblivious about what they may think about what I buy, because I've worked retail and food service, and you can't imagine the weird stuff that people buy, every day. I know that unless I'm buying live chickens, rubber sheets, and two hatchets ands one poison I am pretty normal.

I don't even care. Walgreens had a decent paper goods sale a few weeks ago. I rolled up with a cart with a jumbo box of pads, two boxes of pantyliners, a big box of tampons, flushable wipes for me, some Thermacare patches, my daughters night time pull-ups, some flushable wipes for her, some Advil for both of us, a Digiornio pizza and a big thing of chocolate marked down from Christmas. I am sure that the cashier was afraid to say anything!

PMS squared!

What bothers me is when the person on line behind me examines everything in my cart and makes comments. Advil was on sale one time plus we had coupons, so we stocked up on a few boxes. The guy behind us was like "you must get a lot of headaches". I would have let it go, but he was examining everything in the cart and I found it annoying.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #57
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

My friend bought about 8 bottles of Summer's Eve recently (her dog was skunked.) She didn't buy anything else and paid full price. She said she was dying for someone to say something but no one did. I imagine the cashier was too freaked out -- really, if you don't know about using it on a skunked dog, what must be going through your head?
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #58
amy-momofthree
DIS Veteran

After suffering a heartbreaking miscarriage, a few months later we decided to try again. After a few weeks,, I was experiencing early pregnancy symptoms. Not trying to get my hopes up, I went to Walmart to get some pregnancy tests. The cashier scanned them and looked up and said, "oh my goodness, pregnant, huh? I'm sorry. Are you happy about this?".

I didn't say a word, paid and left.
amy-momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #59
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I can't believe your Father would report someone for making a joke. Obviously it is illegal to make your own money. Apparently your family does not have a sense of humor at all.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #60
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
In November I had shingles. I got acyclovir, which also is used to treat herpes. I made sure when I picked it up from my local pharmacy that I created conversation that lead to me being able to explain that I had shingles!
I had Shingles and was prescribed Valtrex and Vicodin. I was SO embarrassed to pick those RXs up! As the pharmacy tech was going over everything I blurted out that I had Shingles. She laughed and said she figured that because the Vicodin we prescribed at the same time.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro,
#20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: