Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #31
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

It bugs me when they say anything that's negative. I don't mind, "These strawberries sure look good," or, "I love these things," but other types of comments make me uncomfortable.

One time I had to go to CVS to buy pin worm medicine. Pin worms are worms that are in a very private part of your body. (They come out in your bowel movements.) One of my young sons had them, and I treated his naturally with garlic (don't ask what I did with it). The instructions for pin worm treatment said you should treat everyone in the family. I was sure I didn't have them, plus I was pregnant and didn't want to take unneeded treatments, but DH decided to treat himself, and he didn't feel like getting intimate with garlic, so I bought him the regular (oral) medicine.

Well, when I handed the medicine, which was called Anti-Pin Worm Medicine, to the cashier, she said, "What are those?" I was fumbling in my purse and just acted like I hadn't heard her. Then she said, "Well, I never heard of those things." I just ignored her. I know that's rude, but I didn't want to discuss what type of creatures my husband may or may not have in his digestive tract. And no, she couldn't have been commenting on anything else because it was the only thing I bought. Very inappropriate. It's probably a good idea to just never comment on medicines.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
Elmo9607
DIS Veteran

It's threads like these that remind me to never comment on people's items I'm ringing up for them. Sometimes I'd like to make small talk over something, but I never know what kind of response I'll get, so I keep my mouth shut.

I work in a home improvement store so it's difficult to say something rude or personal about a box of nails, lol, but I deal with enough rudeness that I don't need someone getting upset with me because I asked what kind of project they were working on!

People are strange, and yes, I have indeed had someone get upset with me because I asked them what kind of project they were working on while they were making a return. In a home improvement store. What I thought was innocent obviously wasn't!!

College Program at Cosmic Ray's January 2011-May 2011
Elmo9607 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #33
carrie1626
DIS Veteran

I used to work at a grocery store ( as an adult and in charge of the workers which you refer).

Give them a break!

As long as they aren't talking about how drunk they got the night before, how drunk they want to get tonight, who's cheating with who or who they are cheating with then what do you think they might want to talk about?

The stuff right in front of them. Yes, Unfortunately some people have little common sense.

If you didn't like the comment, go to another cashier next time.
2000 NOV Polynesian 2001 OCT AS Music 2002 AUG Grosvenor DD 2003 AUG DoubleTree DD 2004 NOV Port Orleans French Quarter 2006 NOV POP Century 2010 AUG Animal KingdomLodge 2011 NOV Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012 NOV HGVC Internat'l Dr 25th Anniversary trip 2013 DEC Pop/CBR next trip not soon enough

Last edited by carrie1626; 01-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.
carrie1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #34
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

I frequently get comments about the gluten free food I am buying. Most of the time they are asking how it tastes and inquiring about why I need it out of sincere curiosity.

Other times they give me crap for how expensive it is and ask why I would even bother getting that food when the normal stuff is cheaper. I just explain it is for medical reasons but it sure ticks me off.

I have also had one or two customers who were in line with me comment on what I am buying mostly insinuating that I didn't need that food and should be buying healthier stuff that would make me skinnier.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #35
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by branv
A comment like that would actually remind me how lucky I am that I could purchase that without it being a hardship, while for others it would be a big expense. I dunno...definitely something they shouldn't say, but I wouldn't be offended. I'd mostly feel sorry that money is tighter for them.
This. Count yourself lucky that the price was a deal to you, versus something they might consider a splurge.

I don't get making show-off comments back to any service worker about why you buy something that's expensive. Kind of makes me cringe.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #36
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I had a cashier once make a comment about the size of jeans I was buying. She was rude and negative and even though I have insane self-esteem, I got to my car and I cried my eyes out.

I SHOULD have just left them there at the counter and walked out AND that made me cry more that I just took it. Very unlike me.

When I got home, I wrote a letter to the store manager about it and to this day, I won't set foot in that store again.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #37
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I had a cashier at Walmart get all excited because we bought 100 items and it was the longest receipt she had ever had, that was pretty funny. I've had some ask what I use certain items for, I was on a health kick and had bought some flax seed.

A friend had a bad experience when she was struggling to conceive and was buying an EPT and the cashier got all nosey and excited and was making a big deal over it. It was negative and she never had a 2nd kid, so that really upset her.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #38
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilliputian View Post
It bugs me when they say anything that's negative. I don't mind, "These strawberries sure look good," or, "I love these things," but other types of comments make me uncomfortable.

One time I had to go to CVS to buy pin worm medicine. Pin worms are worms that are in a very private part of your body. (They come out in your bowel movements.) One of my young sons had them, and I treated his naturally with garlic (don't ask what I did with it). The instructions for pin worm treatment said you should treat everyone in the family. I was sure I didn't have them, plus I was pregnant and didn't want to take unneeded treatments, but DH decided to treat himself, and he didn't feel like getting intimate with garlic, so I bought him the regular (oral) medicine.

Well, when I handed the medicine, which was called Anti-Pin Worm Medicine, to the cashier, she said, "What are those?" I was fumbling in my purse and just acted like I hadn't heard her. Then she said, "Well, I never heard of those things." I just ignored her. I know that's rude, but I didn't want to discuss what type of creatures my husband may or may not have in his digestive tract. And no, she couldn't have been commenting on anything else because it was the only thing I bought. Very inappropriate. It's probably a good idea to just never comment on medicines.
In November I had shingles. I got acyclovir, which also is used to treat herpes. I made sure when I picked it up from my local pharmacy that I created conversation that lead to me being able to explain that I had shingles!
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #39
DonaldDuck80
Earning My Ears

When my wife was pregnant we were shopping at a certain store that likes to use a bullseye and the cashier started asking about her pregnancy. She asked if she was having twins and we said no. Her response was, "Have you made sure?" We answered yes we had, several ultrasounds showed only one. She pressed again saying we should get a second opinion. It was weird.......or a subtle insult at my wife's size.......
DonaldDuck80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #40
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I wouldnt take it in a wrong way. Baggers dont make a lot of money(i use to be one age 16-20). In this economy most people cant afford a lot. I know theres no way I could afford a $25 steak. I only buy meat if its on sale and try to stay under $8.
When i first started as a bag girl we were told never to ask women how many months pregnant they were because they might just be overweight and they would be very offended. We were told one aother thing but i cant remember its been 20 years ago.

I'd be offended if I was told I shouldnt be buying certain food because i was overweight or asked if I was pregnant-lol!

Brush it off and be happy you can afford $25 steaks, I think they were just shocked because I'm sure so many are on budgets
Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #41
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We used to go back to our home state (LA) in the fall and would stock up at Walmart on our favorite coffee from there. It was so funny to hear the comments, sometimes to us, sometimes just in our hearing. People would start running back to the coffee area thinking it was a terrific sale. The cashier would comment that we sure must love coffee to be able to use that much.

We just laughed and told them the truth that we were on an annual visit and were stocking up. Most of them understood, as we are very particular about our coffee in southern Louisiana

Never had any rude comments from any cashier - just polite conversation that I always join in with.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #42
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I don't since my wife does the grocery shopping. But she has commented to me that at times the baggers/cashier make a comment when she requests paper over plastic, and double bag them, please.
lol! I use to be a bagger 20 years ago and baggers hate having to do double paper and especially paper in the plastic-lol! I didnt mind it because that was my job and I always tried putting 100% and with a smile. The large orders where they would have a full basket or two were a pain but only because it would get backed up and the cashier would just stand there and watch after they were done ringing it up.

Tell your wife the next complaint she can say " well its better then paper bag in plastic"-lol!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #43
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

There is one cashier at our local Wal-mart that I avoid at all costs! I think she is just trying to be friendly, but she doesn't think at all before she speaks. It's been 15 years ago (I don't know how she has managed to stay employed that long) anyways, I had just started my cycle for the first time and my mom wanted to take me to the store to show me the different options I had and to choose a brand I felt comfortable with. I wasn't thrilled about the idea and was so afraid I would see someone from school. I pick out my items and we go pay. I blush so easily, so I assume I was all red in the face and was ready to run out of the store. The cashier picks up my items to scan them and then asks me if I had just "started" for the first time. She then proceeds to tell me about how she had that happen for the first time at camp! I was never so uncomfortable!!!
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #44
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellone View Post
Horizon cows have 'access' to pastures, but they are in a factory farm and don't get out there. Their cows are constantly hooked up to the milking machines - they produce double the national average of milk. When a cow gets sick they just ship it off to slaughter. They are an awful company that shouldn't be allowed to label their products as organic. They are owned by Dean Foods.
Really? Do you have some links? I'd be interested to read more. I will sometimes pay more for local organics just because it helps my local farmers, but I had not heard that about Horizon before. I try to stay away from Dean because I know they use rBGH on their cows but I assume that Horizon does not. My DD is smaller than her peers and I am sure it's because she doesn't consume all the hormones in milk and meat (she is a vegetarian and I mostly buy organic dairy).
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #45
hellow
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handbag Lady View Post
I had a cashier once make a comment about the size of jeans I was buying. She was rude and negative and even though I have insane self-esteem, I got to my car and I cried my eyes out.

I SHOULD have just left them there at the counter and walked out AND that made me cry more that I just took it. Very unlike me.

When I got home, I wrote a letter to the store manager about it and to this day, I won't set foot in that store again.
I would have cried if I got a comment like that. I remember many years ago, when I was at my thinnest and not overweight at all I walked to the corner store during my break and bought a bag of candy to share with my co-workers. The guy made a comment about me buying it, how he bet I would eat the whole thing, and I told him it was for work, and he said, "Yeah, sure." What a jerk.

I just love it when complete strangers think they have a right to comment on your weight (or your kids' weight, your eating/spending habits, etc) to shame you or something. Trust me, anyone who is overweight shames THEMSELVES enough.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: