Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandy595
I was behind another customer (older gentleman) who bought a HUGE standing rib roast that was around $140. The guy said he was excited because he was having his son and his new wife over for dinner for the first time and he wanted to impress them. I thought it was really sweet. After he left, the cashier commented to me that she would never spend that kind of money on food. She said he should've just taken them out to a restaurant and kept saying he was crazy for spending that kind of money. At least she didn't say all this to him.
I hate when a cashier talks to me about the customer who just left. Makes me wonder if they are going to talk about me after I leave.
Tinijocaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
palmbeachmom
Mouseketeer

A couple of weeks ago I had a cashier chastise me for buying 10 packs of lil debbie valentine cakes. They were on sale and my teenaged beanpole son loves them for his lunches, so I stocked up. I'm not exactly a beanpole, so I guess she felt that she was "fat shaming" me.

I told her I was terminally ill and showed her my giant surgery scar, so I wasn't worried about becoming a type 2 diabetic! I figured that maybe she needed a little "bad manner's shaming"!
palmbeachmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
maslex
DIS Veteran

The cashier was young (maybe late teens/early twenties) but the bagger HAS to be in his forties, maybe even early fifties??? I know he's been there forever. It didn't really bother me what they said, it just struck me as odd. Like I said, I've never had anyone say anything like that to me before.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #19
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeachmom
A couple of weeks ago I had a cashier chastise me for buying 10 packs of lil debbie valentine cakes. They were on sale and my teenaged beanpole son loves them for his lunches, so I stocked up. I'm not exactly a beanpole, so I guess she felt that she was "fat shaming" me.

I told her I was terminally ill and showed her my giant surgery scar, so I wasn't worried about becoming a type 2 diabetic! I figured that maybe she needed a little "bad manner's shaming"!
Now THIS would cross the line for me, what the heck?!? A bit of retraining or common sense 101 is in order huh?
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #20
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I get that all of the time when I buy organic milk. I pay $5.48 or so for a gallon (not crappy organic brands like Horizon or store organic brands but a localized brand) and almost every single time the cashier says, "Really? $5 for a gallon of milk? That can't be right...sheesh". I just respond saying that the price is correct and I prefer to purchase items without antibiotics, growth hormones, or pesticides. It gets annoying after a while, and surely I'm not the only person they ever ring up that buys organic milk...I don't get it.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

rude!! I would have had some snappy comeback....but probably after I left. ROFL!!! I probably would have said something along the lines of "oh yes, expensive but so worth it for an occasional splurge and I can definitely cook it the "right" way, thanks for your concern" LOL that said, now I want a good steak and shrimp meal!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Most of the time we get small talk, no biggie.

Once someone commented on a bakery item I was buying. They mentioned that they loved it but it was too costly for them.

I took no offense because, really, there are much more offensive things in the world. But it did make me feel weird.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I pay $5.48 or so for a gallon (not crappy organic brands like Horizon or store organic brands but a localized brand)
What is so crappy about Horizon or store brand organic milk? I get both and see nothing crappy about them Am I consuming something bad for me?
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslex View Post

I got to the register and the bagger was like this, literally .....$25, this steak costs $25 that's a lot of money (along with a bunch of "wows" and "sheeshs" under his breath) Then the cashier's like, "for that price, I hope you cook them right. That would suck to pay that kind of money and have them turn out wrong" LOL
I would have said. "I didn't notice the price, I only purchase my dogs food here and he doesn't care how I cook it. I do the shopping for our food at the Whole Foods up the street."
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Art 1
DIS Veteran

I don't since my wife does the grocery shopping. But she has commented to me that at times the baggers/cashier make a comment when she requests paper over plastic, and double bag them, please.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #26
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC

I would have said. "I didn't notice the price, I only purchase my dogs food here and he doesn't care how I cook it. I do the shopping for our food at the Whole Foods up the street."
Ok that made me giggle
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

A comment like that would actually remind me how lucky I am that I could purchase that without it being a hardship, while for others it would be a big expense. I dunno...definitely something they shouldn't say, but I wouldn't be offended. I'd mostly feel sorry that money is tighter for them.

I'd hate to see what they'd do checking someone out who bought steak at Whole Foods.

Now the cashier who commented on the nutrition value of a PP's snack cakes? Ohhhh, heck no! WAY out of line.

DH and I were at our local grocery store looking for some cheese. We could see they had a sign for Manchego, but we couldn't see any. A 20-something worker came over to help us, but was clueless as could be. Then she said, "You like that stuff? I don't like those weird cheeses." Ooooph. Boy, if she thinks Manchego is out there, she has nooooo idea. To this day DH and I will pull that quote out every time we're buying for a cheese tray. But seriously, I'm sure her employer wouldn't appreciate her commentary on products they are trying to sell.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #28
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Maybe they don't make much, and have never bought that kind of meat? They might not have been judging, just didn't realize how much meat costs.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #29
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I get that all of the time when I buy organic milk. I pay $5.48 or so for a gallon (not crappy organic brands like Horizon or store organic brands but a localized brand) and almost every single time the cashier says, "Really? $5 for a gallon of milk? That can't be right...sheesh". I just respond saying that the price is correct and I prefer to purchase items without antibiotics, growth hormones, or pesticides. It gets annoying after a while, and surely I'm not the only person they ever ring up that buys organic milk...I don't get it.
That's a good price. I pay $6.99 for a gallon of organic milk.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #30
ellone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Worker Sue

What is so crappy about Horizon or store brand organic milk? I get both and see nothing crappy about them Am I consuming something bad for me?
Horizon cows have 'access' to pastures, but they are in a factory farm and don't get out there. Their cows are constantly hooked up to the milking machines - they produce double the national average of milk. When a cow gets sick they just ship it off to slaughter. They are an awful company that shouldn't be allowed to label their products as organic. They are owned by Dean Foods.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: