Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Tink-n-MrIncredible
DIS Veteran

Homemade Pirate costume ideas wanted for female

Hi all. Show me pictures of your homemade pirate costumes. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated. BTW this is for a female. TIA Tink
Tink-n-MrIncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I don't have pics, but gaucho pants(maybe cut them jagged at the bottom), a white poofy blouse and vest and a sash. A peasant skirt and corset. Just google and I'm sure a ton of things will come up
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

I put mine together from findings at thrift stores, etc. over the space of a few months. White peasant shirt, black lace bodice (that got a few looks at the thrift store ), an oversized Captain Jack type jackets, a shabby, peasanty skirt and then pirate jewelry and accessories galore : skull necklaces, shell bracelets, old compasses, red satin sash, etc., etc.

I just picked stuff up when I saw it and then mixed and matched with dh and the kids. It was a blast. I refused to buy boots to wear tho' as it would take up just too much suitcase space. Instead I bought some cheapo sandals that had a kind of cuff around the ankle to make them look like low boots or something.

Dh really wanted to bring boots but his mean wife wouldn't let him so we compromised and he bought those 'boot toppers' from a costume store to wear over black shoes. I'll post a link if I can find a pic handy.

Here ya' go:
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )

Last edited by FergusBC; 01-26-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Added pic
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-n-MrIncredible View Post
Hi all. Show me pictures of your homemade pirate costumes. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions. They will be greatly appreciated. BTW this is for a female. TIA Tink
For my costume, I used a black mid-length skirt I already had, DD made me a "Renaissance-faire" shirt (she's into that), a "corset", black stockings and black shoes. Added the Disney bandanda with beads and that's me. For DH, I cut out a black felt vest, added some gold trim, bought a pirate hat at Disneyland. He wore just regular pants and shoes.

With our kids, DD and BF had costumes from their Faire stuff, DS wore a mockturtleneck sweater of mine, with thrift store kahkis cut off, an old sash off a blouse of mine and the DCL bandana.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

Thrist stores are awesome. I got my skirt and boots there, also a great belt. I ordered a pirate hat on clearance through a costume store. I'm still looking for a shirt and will get some jewelry too.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
buglady11
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
For my costume, I used a black mid-length skirt I already had, DD made me a "Renaissance-faire" shirt (she's into that), a "corset", black stockings and black shoes. Added the Disney bandanda with beads and that's me. For DH, I cut out a black felt vest, added some gold trim, bought a pirate hat at Disneyland. He wore just regular pants and shoes.
Great photos - Thanks for sharing! This might just help me convince my husband that guys can have fun and dress up too.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Mauierlyn
Earning My Ears

My sister and I decided last minute that we wanted to dress up for pirates night. We had gotten a little costume for my nephew on clearance after Halloween.
I wore a black ruffled mid-length skirt. A white "crinkled" ( wrinkled) white blouse that I wore open over a tank top. I used a thick black belt to hold the shirt together under my chest. We went on a Wal-mart run and got the tackiest "gold" costume jewellery we would find. I wore thick hoop earrings, the bandana like a head scarf and some huge metal rings. My sister wore similar clothes with probably 15 necklaces. We found a toy Skully from Jake and the Neverland Pirates that we pinned to my brother-in-laws plain black top and found a pirate hat to stick on him.
It was fun! I saw people in great full costumes and others that were dressed up at all and neither seemed out of place.
Mauierlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
vakamalua
DIS Veteran

I like to be comfortable and keep packing to a minimum...so I wear cropped black yoga pants, a long sleeve red & white striped t-shirt (from Kohls), a black skull & crossbones bandana and one big gold hoop earring. Guess you could call me the female Smee!

[And if I run out of clean clothes toward the end of the cruise, I can always wear the shirt and pants with other things...]
vakamalua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #9
disbridebailey
Earning My Ears

Subscribing Such good ideas!
disbridebailey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: