Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
lsutigger2

DIS Veteran

Flights out of Vancouver

what is the earliest time you would reserve a flight out of Vancouver? the disney information suggest four hours. "Please allow four hours of travel time, customs and security checks before and after your cruise."

Asking because we are trying hard to use frequent flyers miles. some of the flights leave Vancouver before the ship even docks, some are really late (and then we would arrive home the next day!). there is a flight that leaves at
11:30am. Anyone with experience, please share your thoughts.

When we did the Alaskan cruise in June 2011, my journal notes say that "on bus to last check point before the gate was 1 to 1 1/2 hours" but I don't remember what time we got off the ship and on to the bus = haha. I do remember waiting for them to call 'purple Minnie' in one of the lounge areas and it seemed to take awhile.

We are considering staying in Vancouver for the night and flying home the next day as an option.

Oh, what to do, what to do -

thanks for any information anyone may have to share.
lsutigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigger2 View Post
what is the earliest time you would reserve a flight out of Vancouver? the disney information suggest four hours. "Please allow four hours of travel time, customs and security checks before and after your cruise."

Asking because we are trying hard to use frequent flyers miles. some of the flights leave Vancouver before the ship even docks, some are really late (and then we would arrive home the next day!). there is a flight that leaves at

When we did the Alaskan cruise in June 2011, my journal notes say that "on bus to last check point before the gate was 1 to 1 1/2 hours" but I don't remember what time we got off the ship and on to the bus = haha. I do remember waiting for them to call 'purple Minnie' in one of the lounge areas and it seemed to take awhile.

We are considering staying in Vancouver for the night and flying home the next day as an option.

We've flown out of Vancouver twice following Alaskan cruises (not DCL). I wouldn't book anything before 1:00.

I vote for an overnight in Vancouver. We flew in a day early on our last cruise, and spent a really nice day just looking around Vancouver.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
lsutigger2

DIS Veteran

Thanks Princess for the info.

i'm giving this a bump to see if any others have other experiences to share.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I remember that we booked our flight before DCL came out with their recommendations (I think for 1 hour earlier than what they suggested). In the end, we ate at the buffet, got off the ship early (you could ask for an earlier time to disembark) and took a taxi to the airport. We were a couple of hours early (distinctly remember that it was NOT a problem at all and was wishing for less time waiting around there).

Sorry it's not more specific (we went in 2011) but it honestly wasn't a problem at all. If I had had the info ahead of time, I would have booked a later flight, but it all worked out well anyway.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's the option I would take! There are lots of hotels there, and it's a GORGEOUS city. Spend some time walking around, have a crepe at Cafe Crepe (there are several locations), enjoy your time without rushing.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
lsutigger2

DIS Veteran

DH and I decided that we will just stay the night on Monday! What a sacrifice! Even paying for a hotel for a night will be cheaper that paying full fare for two!

We didn't get to see much of Vancouver when we were there in 2011. We are planning on arriving on Saturday. that gives us a day in Vancouver on each end.

thanks again for the help
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigger2 View Post

We arrived two days before our cruise and left Vancouver two days after our cruise. As much as we loved Alaska I think we talk about Vancouver more. We loved it there. Take some time to check out a great city. Heading east you are going to find most flights aren't going to work without an overnight stay.

ETA: oops I should have read the whole thread before posting. LOL Good choice!
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: