Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #91
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

FP+ for Dining

When guessing how many people a day would use a FP+ to order a lunch, we just have no idea. We guessed 1000 on the first page for MK. But of course this is where FP+ is making its return - for food ordering.

If Disney could persuade people to use their precious FP+ for dining that would loosen up quite a bit of FP+ availability.

Here is the Be Our Guest teaser.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #92
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
When guessing how many people a day would use a FP+ to order a lunch, we just have no idea. We guessed 1000 on the first page for MK. But of course this is where FP+ is making its return - for food ordering.

If Disney could persuade people to use their precious FP+ for dining that would loosen up quite a bit of FP+ availability.

Here is the Be Our Guest teaser.
If they really are expecting people to use an honest to goodness FP+ slot for a CS meal, then the only place I see that having any traction is at Be Our Guest. Beyond that? Only on a rare occasion on a day when parks are expected to close to capacity.

So I suppose that would only serve as a "consolation prize" so that people who book after all the good FP slots are gone have somthing to choose at all. But honestly, it would probably tick me off more to have them think I want my FP slot for lunch. I think I'd rather see "sorry, too late".
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #93
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
If they really are expecting people to use an honest to goodness FP+ slot for a CS meal, then the only place I see that having any traction is at Be Our Guest. Beyond that? Only on a rare occasion on a day when parks are expected to close to capacity.

So I suppose that would only serve as a "consolation prize" so that people who book after all the good FP slots are gone have somthing to choose at all. But honestly, it would probably tick me off more to have them think I want my FP slot for lunch. I think I'd rather see "sorry, too late".
I guess this fits in with the sales pitch. If people are flush with their 3 FP+ a day for 7 days - maybe they will just not know what to do with them and try ordering a CS meal from a restaurant. For my family of four - I would have use 4 though, one from each one of our accounts. How I would manage that - I have no idea. Right now I can't even link up guests for a simple little breakfast at the GF Cafe.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #94
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I guess this fits in with the sales pitch. If people are flush with their 3 FP+ a day for 7 days - maybe they will just not know what to do with them and try ordering a CS meal from a restaurant. For my family of four - I would have use 4 though, one from each one of our accounts. How I would manage that - I have no idea. Right now I can't even link up guests for a simple little breakfast at the GF Cafe.
Interesting question. Would you need to use 4 slots? How do they know you're not just REALLY hungry?
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #95
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

There are just too many darn parameters to consider regarding the FP+ for counter service. I would be worried about cold food - some of the counter service stuff is questionable at best, imagine your fried food on the pale side of cold, hanging around limply under a heat lamp waiting for you to collect it. bleck. I dont even want to try and get inside Disney's head regarding how this will all work.

And, you are right Mom2rtk, how would they know that? They must have considered this very thing, a loophole. How would they prevent this abuse? Perhaps this is Disney's unintentional "extra value" meal if you would. Heehee.

Edited to add: I really think EMH is going. I dont think it will go until this new system is in place and operating correctly, Disney will certainly not take away this perk and not have something that would be 'attractive' to the masses to put in its place. I dont know if they will just start to 'sell' MK extra fp+s at first, but I dont know how there will be any extra to 'sell' in AK until there are a few new attractions online, and that is years away.
__________________

Last edited by Rileygirl; 02-22-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #96
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
I would be worried about cold food
I would be too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
And, you are right Mom2rtk, how would they know that? They must have considered this very thing, a loophole. How would they prevent this abuse? Perhaps this is Disney's unintentional "extra value" meal if you would. Heehee.
This has me wondering if they possibly would only really require one FP slot per group, instead of per person. Which might balance out some of the perceived lack of value in using a FP this way.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #97
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
There are just too many darn parameters to consider regarding the FP+ for counter service. I would be worried about cold food - some of the counter service stuff is questionable at best, imagine your fried food on the pale side of cold, hanging around limply under a heat lamp waiting for you to collect it. bleck. I dont even want to try and get inside Disney's head regarding how this will all work.

And, you are right Mom2rtk, how would they know that? They must have considered this very thing, a loophole. How would they prevent this abuse? Perhaps this is Disney's unintentional "extra value" meal if you would. Heehee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Interesting question. Would you need to use 4 slots? How do they know you're not just REALLY hungry?
I am guessing because the app doesn't work. But supposedly, I can log into my My Disney Experience app, order food and connect one order to each of the people in my friends list. According to the terms, I can even do this for my friends connected to me. Wouldn't that be a horrible prank on someone, burn their FP+ on some cold fish and chips in Great Britain at Epcot.

People have tested this feature already - BUT not in conjunction with using up a limited number of FP+. So once again, the test run will not be a good test. People will rave about how convenient it is --- assuming the food is not cold.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #98
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Rileygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 770

I suppose the test runs are just to test the actual workings of the system, they cannot be gathering any realistic data about how consumers are going to react to this model in the proposed 'real life' mode.

You know, I have been thinking, they cannot wait until AK and or Epcot has a surplus of FP+ before they use FP+ as the incentive for staying on site, and getting rid of EMH. I am guessing MK will be the first to be 'sold' as the incentive.
__________________
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #99
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
I suppose the test runs are just to test the actual workings of the system, they cannot be gathering any realistic data about how consumers are going to react to this model in the proposed 'real life' mode.

You know, I have been thinking, they cannot wait until AK and or Epcot has a surplus of FP+ before they use FP+ as the incentive for staying on site, and getting rid of EMH. I am guessing MK will be the first to be 'sold' as the incentive.
I think you are right. The Mine Train will add a significant number of FP+ to the pile. Also, I think we might be underestimating the numbers of FP+ that will be used for Parades, Meet and Greets, and Fireworks in the MK. There will be a rather large surplus, and I don't think they will just give them away nilly-willy.

And it is going to take years before the other parks have new attractions.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #100
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I think you are right. The Mine Train will add a significant number of FP+ to the pile. Also, I think we might be underestimating the numbers of FP+
Unfortunately I think it's also going to add a significant number of bodies to the park.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #101
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Unfortunately I think it's also going to add a significant number of bodies to the park.
Do you think the attendance at WDW overall will spike or do you think MK will draw more people to that park from other areas of WDW? You are probably right. If people are packed in to Fantasyland - then they will have to be shooting out surprise and delight all day long to everyone to lure them over to the Riverboat.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #102
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Do you think the attendance at WDW overall will spike or do you think MK will draw more people to that park from other areas of WDW? You are probably right. If people are packed in to Fantasyland - then they will have to be shooting out surprise and delight all day long to everyone to lure them over to the Riverboat.
I think overall attendance will spike. It won't go "Harry Potter" crazy, but I think it will spike.

We were there on 12/7 the day after the Grand Opening. I hate mob scenes but had planned our dates before the Grand Opening was announced. I kept telling myself New Fantasyland would be busy but the rest of the park slow. And for the most part that was right. For that day anyway. We had walked on rides all day then were shocked to get to New Fantasyland and find a 120 minute wait for Under the Sea.

But it's hard to deny report after report about January and February crowds being much higher than normal. I think a bit of that is the Fantasyland Expansion. But for many the most appealing element is the coaster. There hasn't been a new coaster at Disney in a very long time. I do think it will really attract some folks.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #103
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
You want them to be fast passed Barry? I have been thinking I am glad Pirates (and gasp tiki birds, which we always take in) is maybe not being fp+, because any attraction that will not be fp+ will maybe be super easy to do via standby line. Thats just a pet theory of mine. Anything that is off the grid, Disney wont be educating the average guest to go to it.....
I think this means that Pirates will be on the FEED.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #104
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30,497

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
I think this means that Pirates will be on the FEED.
I think you're reading too much into that.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #105
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I think you're reading too much into that.


What if they can find a way to use a FP+ on a Dole Whip? See now I am just wandering around Adventureland in my mind. Pirates to Tiki Birds to ...
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 02-22-2013 at 06:25 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: