Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #76
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl View Post
Verrrrryyyyyy Interesting Mom2rtk. The POTENTIAL is there to do just that. Perhaps sometime in the future (5 yrs, 10?) if they can make this techno wizzardry work, thats the exact plan. How lean and streamlined and business savvy on the Big D's part if they can do it. No standby line. huh. Little scary really.

Can they do it? Could they do it? Hmmmmmm. (yes, I think if they can get the technology to work right, and the customer response is positive,, I think they would.)

This is the billion dollar idea perhaps. But before we worry about that, we will have to see how this new system succeeds or fails, and what the consumer response is to it. Perhaps that is what they are thinking too - lets see how this baby rolls!

But nice point.
Thanks Rileygirl.

Welcome to appointment riding.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #77
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks Rileygirl.

Welcome to appointment riding.
Which might be ok if I wasn't paying more than $400.00 a ticket to get in the parks. $125 for a 14 day pass (sea world/Busch gardens), I might not complain too much.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 02-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #78
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

You know, although we can speculate and guess, and anticipate, we really just don't know how this is all going to play out. I AM a little pesimisstic that the educated user is going to end up with the short end of the stick, BUT really I am going to see this thing roll out before I get my nickers in a twist about it.

We have painted a fairly ugly picture, and yet, I cant help but think - Disney has to make it pallatable, otherwise, it aint going to fly. They just have too.

I am actually off to the big D in a couple of weeks, just for a day or two before a cruise (lucky me, trying out the fantasy!) so if there is any chance to participate in this beast, I will do my best to report back to y'all.

And, forgive my ignorance, what is appointment riding? I dont get that reference, but maybe because I am not American?
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #79
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl
You know, although we can speculate and guess, and anticipate, we really just don't know how this is all going to play out. I AM a little pesimisstic that the educated user is going to end up with the short end of the stick, BUT really I am going to see this thing roll out before I get my nickers in a twist about it.

We have painted a fairly ugly picture, and yet, I cant help but think - Disney has to make it pallatable, otherwise, it aint going to fly. They just have too.

I am actually off to the big D in a couple of weeks, just for a day or two before a cruise (lucky me, trying out the fantasy!) so if there is any chance to participate in this beast, I will do my best to report back to y'all.

And, forgive my ignorance, what is appointment riding? I dont get that reference, but maybe because I am not American?
I believe "appointment riding" would be that all rides (or nearly all) would be by appointment - where essentially everything is done by fastpass, "appointment" with guests effectively standing in "virtual line" at nearest gift shop/restaurant (ie, spending money) waiting for their next ride appointment, with standby line becoming more like airline standby, where just a few riders to fill in any "gaps" in cars due to temporary unexpected drop in fastpass for one particular trip of the ride. And they could conceivably even eliminate that limited standby due to locator function of magic bands and spontaneously offer extra fastpass to any guests within vicinity of ride if there are spaces. As far as i know, appt riding is not a "real" word, just a clever phrase created by users on this board.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #80
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

I see, thank you. I thought it had something to do with politics. Duh
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 AM   #81
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleScout View Post
I believe "appointment riding" would be that all rides (or nearly all) would be by appointment - where essentially everything is done by fastpass, "appointment" with guests effectively standing in "virtual line" at nearest gift shop/restaurant (ie, spending money) waiting for their next ride appointment, with standby line becoming more like airline standby, where just a few riders to fill in any "gaps" in cars due to temporary unexpected drop in fastpass for one particular trip of the ride. And they could conceivably even eliminate that limited standby due to locator function of magic bands and spontaneously offer extra fastpass to any guests within vicinity of ride if there are spaces. As far as i know, appt riding is not a "real" word, just a clever phrase created by users on this board.

It just seems like a lot of the talk lately has been about Disney maximizing the FP slots. And the more heavily the system goes toward FP, the less ability there will be to ride by standby. And the more they do that, the longer those standby lines will be. And honestly, once the standby line reaches a certain point, I won't even consider it an option. So riding with a FP (by appointment) would be the only option left.

Just "discussion" on my part. But heck, we haven't had anything new to discuss on this in a long time. So why not......
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #82
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I can't wait to hear your reports. Some true on the scene observations. In a few weeks, I will be in Little Rock, Arkansas! Not quite the same I might add!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #83
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
In a few weeks, I will be in Little Rock, Arkansas! Not quite the same I might add!
Scoping out building sites for Disney-Arkansas? Being a fellow Missouri resident, I have to say I'd be thrilled!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #84
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Scoping out building sites for Disney-Arkansas? Being a fellow Missouri resident, I have to say I'd be thrilled!
Maybe that is the Walmart/Disney Merger PeterPirate2 keeps talking about! I will see what I can find.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #85
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
Maybe that is the Walmart/Disney Merger PeterPirate2 keeps talking about! I will see what I can find.
LOL, I clearly need to hang out on the rumor board more often!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #86
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileygirl

Thank you! To many people on these threads, this one much less so, treat their opinion as fact, which is silly because only my opinions are fact. I share your pessimism about the education user ending up on the short end of the stick, but we won't know until it rolls out and I don't think we will even know then. I think this is going to be something that will be tweaking for a very long time. I think it's the not knowing is bothering us more than FP+ itself. The one thing about he current system that I like is the fact that a lot of visitors never use it because they didn't understand it. I have a feeling that Disney is going to be pushing this much more, probably with easy pre-selected itineraries, people can choose from.

Enjoy your trip!
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #87
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

lol, I hear you Mikegood2 (but pst, its my opinion that is right silly :>) And yes, I agree 100% that Disney will put EVERY effort into educating and wooing the average vacation goer, because it nets them a huge profit called data.

Barry, I happen to be staying at Kidani Village, and there was a rumour a few weeks ago that we get the test rather then Boardwalk, but whether or not that has changed I dont know. We are taking ME, so it could work out. I am hoping to be in the right place at the right time (this was purely accidental though).

Also, I have no idea what value there is to be 'testing' the system, but allowing those who get FP+ to also get FP regular (as has happened in the past) - how is any data they gather there to be helpful when the system goes live when this situation will not exist? What guest wouldnt love three extra priority fp's, and then all the other ones you can score through the regular set up. What kinda feedback is disney expecting to get? Of course that is going to be positive. But helpful? I dont get it. I have several analogies for this type of data gathering, but I think they would not be appropriate for a public board.

(I will, however be innocently grilling cm's on stuff, everything from OHRC's to reliability of standby times posted with the new system, ect. ect. )

Cheers
~A

Last edited by Rileygirl; 02-21-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Rileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #88
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
lol, I hear you Mikegood2 (but pst, its my opinion that is right silly :>) And yes, I agree 100% that Disney will put EVERY effort into educating and wooing the average vacation goer, because it nets them a huge profit called data.

Barry, I happen to be staying at Kidani Village, and there was a rumour a few weeks ago that we get the test rather then Boardwalk, but whether or not that has changed I dont know. We are taking ME, so it could work out. I am hoping to be in the right place at the right time (this was purely accidental though).

Also, I have no idea what value there is to be 'testing' the system, but allowing those who get FP+ to also get FP regular (as has happened in the past) - how is any data they gather there to be helpful when the system goes live when this situation will not exist? What guest wouldnt love three extra priority fp's, and then all the other ones you can score through the regular set up. What kinda feedback is disney expecting to get? Of course that is going to be positive. But helpful? I dont get it. I have several analogies for this type of data gathering, but I think they would not be appropriate for a public board.

(I will, however be innocently grilling cm's on stuff, everything from OHRC's to reliability of standby times posted with the new system, ect. ect. )

Cheers
~A
I can't wait to read about this. I am really curious to see what attractions have the RFID FP+ connected to them. I am secretly hoping that Hall of Presidents and the Riverboat are included (but I have been chastised for this before). If they are included, it makes for a much better story!!!

But, I still haven't seen a complete list of which attractions will be available for fastpass +.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #89
Rileygirl
DIS Veteran

You want them to be fast passed Barry? I have been thinking I am glad Pirates (and gasp tiki birds, which we always take in) is maybe not being fp+, because any attraction that will not be fp+ will maybe be super easy to do via standby line. Thats just a pet theory of mine. Anything that is off the grid, Disney wont be educating the average guest to go to it.....

We do plan to do the MK, so I will snoop around Liberty square and try and find out the deal for you regarding these two attractions....

I tend to just hang out in a couple of threads, I dont read all the stuff ongoing with the FP+ or Magic Plus, so I missed your chastisment. Was it entertaining? Do tell
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #90
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You want them to be fast passed Barry? I have been thinking I am glad Pirates (and gasp tiki birds, which we always take in) is maybe not being fp+, because any attraction that will not be fp+ will maybe be super easy to do via standby line. Thats just a pet theory of mine. Anything that is off the grid, Disney wont be educating the average guest to go to it.....
Also, the ones without FP+ won't have a standby line slowed by even one FP+ person coming through. So logic should dictate that I hope for no FP+ on as many attractions as possible. But I'm with Barry. The story is so much better with those included!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: