Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
littlesparkler
Mouseketeer

As I'm reading this, my son is playing with about 20 of them. We love them! When I first saw/read about them, I thought "how dumb", but somehow we got so into them. I have noticed, though, that they are on clearance sales and that's not a good sign.

And, why the rudeness to OP???????? That is what is dumb.
littlesparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesparkler View Post
As I'm reading this, my son is playing with about 20 of them. We love them! When I first saw/read about them, I thought "how dumb", but somehow we got so into them. I have noticed, though, that they are on clearance sales and that's not a good sign.

And, why the rudeness to OP???????? That is what is dumb.
The ones you're seeing on clearance a bunch are a little different. Without too much detail: Some vinylmations are commissioned by and distributed primarily by the Disney parks division (Park Series, Urban Series, Animation, Pixar, etc....) The ones that are primarily available online at Disneystore.com and at the Disney Stores are created by (you guessed it) the Disney Store division. These are done predominantly seperately from each other, and there are even rumors that parks team is none too happy with the way the DStores folks have watered down and damaged the Vinylmation brand. The clearance sets (like Myths and Legends, Big Top, Wrestlers, etc...) are mostly Disney Store sets. These are widely viewed within the Vinylmation community as over-produced sets. While many of them are liked and well-received by some collectors, predominantly they have much lower collectibility than the park sets and exclusives that are done through the parks. There are of course some exceptions to the rule - Villains 3 was a park-made set that was sold in parks and at the stores, and those are a dime a dozen.

To all the general naysayers about vinylmations, people seem to be of the opinion that since these are not as widely collected/traded as pins, that they're a failure as an item. While they are certainly not as widespread as pins, they were never meant to compete with that market. They are Disney's approach to the collectible vinyl figure market (started in Japan with the Tokidoki's) and in that realm they are very successful. With over 20K vinylmation listings on ebay, and the former manager of the pins team moving over to vinylmation, I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon. They're certainly not for everyone, but there are plenty of people who enjoy them!

Great blog post from Parks blog about the future of Vinylmations:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...-disney-parks/
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: