Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
jweb20
Earning My Ears

Ohana vs chef mickeys?

I've never been to either. I'm looking for a fun atmosphere and decent food. (Sausage. Waffles. Cinnamon rolls etc)

What are your experiences?
jweb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
lcpalmer
Earning My Ears

Ohana for dinner and chef Mickey for breakfast
lcpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
shell8558
DIS Veteran

Can I suggest Crystal Palace for breakfast? It is our favorite. We love to get there for an 8:05 reservation before the park opens and take great pictures in front of the castle. The food is yummy and the characters are fun. We have never been to Ohanas for breakfast, but we LOVE their supper.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
jweb20
Earning My Ears

Is ohana's dinner food kid friendly? When I looked at menu before it seemed like mostly meat and my son is not a big meat eater.
jweb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

I agree. I love Crystal Palace. The food is so delicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell8558
Can I suggest Crystal Palace for breakfast? It is our favorite. We love to get there for an 8:05 reservation before the park opens and take great pictures in front of the castle. The food is yummy and the characters are fun. We have never been to Ohanas for breakfast, but we LOVE their supper.

There is 3 kinds of meat, noodles, potstickers, salad, bread, and wings. Honestly i didn't care for the food AT ALL. Very over hyped place. The breakfast is great thou!! Love it. You get mickey waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, pineapple bread, fruit, and i think that's all. The atmosphere is gorgeous, and its a nice and relaxing time. I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb20
Is ohana's dinner food kid friendly? When I looked at menu before it seemed like mostly meat and my son is not a big meat eater.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
hughech
Earning My Ears

Crystal palace is great and very kid friendly. Can't wait to try Ohana this time around. Have heard all good things about it
hughech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
vicb224
Mouseketeer

To be very honest, I have been to both and found the character breakfast at Cape May Cafe in the Beach Club resort to be better food wise - quality, and different things- and the character interaction better. Not so crowded and noisy.. And the walk to Epcot afterwards is so peaceful. Just my 2 cents
vicb224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

chef mickey's = bad food.

For that MK area:

breakfast - best Kona...GF Cafe also good...if you have to have the characters, then Park Fare or Crystal Palace.

Ohana ok for dinner - not great - but ok. used to be far better. alternatives in the area are all the Signatures, kona again, whispering canyon, avoid the park...no good grub available. highly suggest artists point...never gets that much love, but some VARIETY and a good spot/dining.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb20 View Post
Yes, when dd was younger she at only kid's stuff and now that she's older when we go to WDW she still mainly eats kid's stuff lol! But O'Hanas has access to kid's menu items like Grilled Cheese, hot dogs, etc...I think whatever Kona has they can offer that there. (dd was a big grilled cheese eater and some things never change)
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
toobie75
Mouseketeer

Ohana offers kid's meals. My daughter had the choice of chicken nuggets, hot dog, hamburger, grilled cheese, pb&j, and macaroni and cheese. Even if they get a kid's meal they can still eat the other food that is brought out for the table.

My family all really loved Ohana. We loved the atmosphere and the food the night we went was really good. Chef Mickey's...ummm YUCK!
toobie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb20
I've never been to either. I'm looking for a fun atmosphere and decent food. (Sausage. Waffles. Cinnamon rolls etc)

Breakfast wise - Chef Mickeys will have more variety. I think Chefs gets a bad reputation. It is good and we have had fun here with the fab 5.

Breakfast wise - Ohana - great characters & juice. I wish there was more of a variety here. I do not like sausage or waffles. I wanted the potatoes to be more hash brown quality and they are not. That being said, it is fun but this does not take away from the experience of Ohana at breakfast.

Dinner Chef Mickeys - it is not as bad as people make it out to be. The dessert is good Oreo ganache mickeys are very good and the make your sundae bar is very good. Sides have a nice variety. I think part of the problem at Chefs is that the buffet is small and the restaurant is always crowded so there is not always a huge variety of food and at times it looks dirty because of the traffic and food is not always replenished fast enough. Also, protein selections here are lacking at times.

Dinner Ohana - I think Ohana gets a bad rep at times also. It is a very good at dinner, we love it. We have only had 1 bad experience here out of all our visits. We like the food here but the point is the food has to appeal to you. We do not lime sushi or fish, we avoid these restaurants because we do not like it. This is also another very busy restaurant that is often over booked. We really like the noodles, wings, potstickers, sauce, I like some of the meats but not all. I like the dessert but it is too sweet for me so I eat a small portion and leave the rest to Dd & DH to devour. Yes, they do have kids menu which is wonderful.

Good luck & enjoy!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
MinnieTink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb20 View Post

We have been to both for breakfast and to Ohana for dinner also. We liked Ohana so much better. We are not fans of buffets at all, so Chef Mickeys wasn't a winner for us. We knew it going in but wanted to experience it at least once. The characters seemed rushed and the food just meh.

The Ohana breakfast is good and delivered to your table family style, which we like much better. They have scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage and waffles. Also the pineapple bread and juice...yum! No cinnamon rolls tho. We thought the character interaction at Ohana breakfast was fantastic each of the 4 times we have done it.

Ohana for dinner is good too but really too much food, and that is coming from a family who likes to eat. My DH likes it but agrees too much food. It is just ok for me but Im not a big meat eater. The dessert is the BOMB tho and who doesn't like a Lapu Lapu??

MinnieTink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Hannah0811
Earning My Ears

I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about Chef Mickey's here on the boards.
Personally- it was one of the worst Dining Experiences I have ever had at Disney. Atmosphere, food, everything. On the other hand I have read reviews that rave about how great Chef Mickey's was, so maybe it was a bad day for them when I was there.

O'hana on the other hand- my experiences with breakfast and dinner are outstanding! I have never dined at O'hana for dinner with a little one, so I did not really pay attention to the offerings for kids there. But I have dined with little ones at breakfast and they loved the character interaction and the food.
Poly is beautiful too.
July 2005 Pop Century December 2006 Pop Century January 2008 All Star Sports August 2009 Wilderness Lodge December 2009 Pop Century July 2010 All Star Music And many Summer Day trips from Daytona Beach

Disney Cruise
2005 July Disney Wonder 2008 January Disney Wonder
2013 February Disney Dream upcoming
Hannah0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

I avoid CM like the plague! Poor food quality.

'Ohana all the way! For both breakfast and dinner! Great food!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
riostoker
Earning My Ears

Hands down 'Ohana! Better food, better atmosphere, better character experience, and everything served family style. You don't have to time trips to the buffet around characters coming around. 'Ohana only has characters at breakfast.
riostoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: