Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #46
mboekhoff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink1987 View Post
Hmmm not too shabby. £450 extra for us for a verandah.
Not too shabby at all
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #47
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyGirl View Post
I like to phrase it as "maximizing our vacation time available"

It drives me nuts if we wander around aimlessly trying to figure out what to do, where to eat, how to get from Point A to Point B.... when I could have had it figured out previously. There's such a limited time when on vacation I try to get everything in as efficiently and affordably as possibly.

So no... you are not over planning You are maximizing and becoming efficient so you can enjoy vacation

ETA: When you have two little ones with you, it's a definite to have a little over-planning
With kids it is extremely important to be planned. I do quite a bit of planning but I try to go with the flow when my best laid plans run into a snag. I used to stress myself into tears when things didn't go exactly right. I'm much more laid back but I always have a basic game plan.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #48
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC

With kids it is extremely important to be planned. I do quite a bit of planning but I try to go with the flow when my best laid plans run into a snag. I used to stress myself into tears when things didn't go exactly right. I'm much more laid back but I always have a basic game plan.
One ruined wedding turned me into a go with the flow type of person!
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #49
Ladyshopper
Mouseketeer

Just seen we're onto the new thread - hooray!!

I've noticed I'm the only singleton on the palo brunch I've signed up to, so please can everyone else that day talk to me! Have never done palo before precisely because I'm on my own, so now slightly paranoid!

Today I've started on my fish extender gifts which has really got me excited about the cruise.

Wednesday I am DEFINITELY starting my diet - I need to get pancake day out of the way tomorrow, then thats it!
Ladyshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #50
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

So wait does that mean you cancel, then rebook and even with the penalty it's only that much more? I'm not trying to change, we already have 5B. But just trying to understand it all haha.

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #51
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
VGT rates are out
I don't think $1,398 pp for VGT is that great. I would've guessed $998 pp. The difference between the OGT @ ~ $800 pp and the VGT @ ~ $1,400 pp is $600 - or $1,200 more for 2 people. That's a really big price jump from window to verandah.

Last edited by NancyIL; 02-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #52
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopeasonepod
So wait does that mean you cancel, then rebook and even with the penalty it's only that much more? I'm not trying to change, we already have 5B. But just trying to understand it all haha.
If it was only DH and I in the room, cancelling our ressie (lose 20% and OBC) and rebooming with *GT rate, it would cost us $14 total for the OGT and we would net $100 for the IGT rate. Since my niece is in our room, it costs more since her rate didn't change. So it would cost my sister 20% more for each kid. We will be sticking to our inside cabin and enjoying the darkness
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #53
Tubbsteruk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyshopper View Post

I've noticed I'm the only singleton on the palo brunch I've signed up to, so please can everyone else that day talk to me! Have never done palo before precisely because I'm on my own, so now slightly paranoid!

Today I've started on my fish extender gifts which has really got me excited about the cruise.

Wednesday I am DEFINITELY starting my diet - I need to get pancake day out of the way tomorrow, then thats it!
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine. It was after palo brunch on our last cruise that we met some great friends, such a great atmosphere and everyone was so chatty
Tubbsteruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #54
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

I don't think $1,398 pp for VGT is that great. I would've guessed $998 pp. The difference between the OGT @ ~ $800 pp and the VGT @ ~ $1,400 pp is $600 - or $1,200 more for 2 people. That's a really big price jump from window to verandah.
I agree, we would have never booked the VGT rate, we like to pay as little as possible since we are never in the room but thought $100 more per person wasn't that big of a jump from the IGT. Getting cheap rooms let's me cruise more often!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #55
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:

I didn't even realize that you were the only singleton on the first brunch. I just filled the slots as the PMs came in. I believe Mandy's MIL is in your group as well. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, I will change places with you or I could also PM Kirbo and see if she and her DH would like to move to the first group and then move you to the second group. Let me know if you want to change, I'm sure we can arrange something.
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014

kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #56
MissAndrea
Mouseketeer

I am LOVING this new thread! Having everything on the first page is fantastic! I especially love those that put the names of everyone that has signed up so I can see whether or not I've already done it. Thanks Mandy for getting this new thread started and thank you to all the organizers of all the events for volunteering. You all rock.

On to a different topic....everyone goes on and on about Palo. We are Disney dorks but this will be our first Disney cruise. We are NOT foodies at all so I haven't been convinced that we should do the brunch or dinner. If we were to try it, it would be the brunch. Wait, do you have to dress up for the brunch?? I don't think we are interested in dinner because we are finicky eaters and don't like dressing up. So, sell me on the brunch. Is it really that good? Is there enough for a vegetarian to eat? ***I'm not a vegetarian but I'm incredibly picky about meat, I don't really like it that much, and tend to eat vegetarian meals.

Also, I've emailed my travel agent about the new rates that came out. I'm going to see about cancelling and rebooking. Still waiting to hear back from her about that. If it works out, I may go ahead and splurge on the expensive CD of pictures!! Anyhoo, when do these rates come out on other sailings? And how long do they stay out?

Oh, one more question. Sorry, I've been putting off questions until the new thread opened. Is there a limit on how much alcohol you can bring onboard? I'm guessing no after reading Cayla's post earlier. I've read that you can't bring your own drinks out around the ship. At least not ones that are noticeable. So what do you all do? Mix drinks in the room and put them in a travel cup to take out around the ship?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #57
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
One ruined wedding turned me into a go with the flow type of person!
I hear ya both! I will plan, but when something happens that I can't control then I go with the flow.

I just can not be like some I know on cruises who literally get on the ship not knowing what the ports of call are, and then start thinking about shore excursions once onboard. Then they are the ones complaining they can't get into a certain restaurant because they never made reservations in advance. (Yep, seen it happen). That's the complete opposite though - *not* planning.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #58
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAndrea View Post
So, sell me on the brunch. Is it really that good? Is there enough for a vegetarian to eat? ***I'm not a vegetarian but I'm incredibly picky about meat, I don't really like it that much, and tend to eat vegetarian meals.

Oh, one more question. Sorry, I've been putting off questions until the new thread opened. Is there a limit on how much alcohol you can bring onboard? I'm guessing no after reading Cayla's post earlier. I've read that you can't bring your own drinks out around the ship. At least not ones that are noticeable. So what do you all do? Mix drinks in the room and put them in a travel cup to take out around the ship?
I loved Palo. I don't know how to explain it well. Perhaps a good analogy is that it is like Napa Rose? (Having never dined there, I think NR is probably a lot better overall because it's on land and can have more fresh selections, but Palo is to MDR as NR is to Storytellers?) Someone else will certainly shed better light on it, but I am definitely going to try to book a brunch and dinner!

Ahhh, alcohol. I love that we can bring our own. For this cruise I'm bringing 4 1L bottles of Stoli Vanil, 4 bottles of Captain Morgan's Black (for DH), and we use the fountain to mix with Diet Coke. We use those insulated cups with straws that we bring onboard. I do walk around with them sometimes, but not often. And I also buy drinks at dinner, Diversions, etc. Just like having our own to mix whenever we want. Having seen Cayla's post, I'm guessing the limit is how much you can carry?

And OMG they changed the "drinking" Smilie to WATER! Hahaha we are SO busted!

twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #59
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am LOVING this new thread! Having everything on the first page is fantastic! I especially love those that put the names of everyone that has signed up so I can see whether or not I've already done it. Thanks Mandy for getting this new thread started and thank you to all the organizers of all the events for volunteering. You all rock.
Thanks! It worked well in the past with each organizer being able to update their own info. You can look at any post on page one to see when the organizer did their last update on that post. I would always put a "reason" in the reason code, such as "updated PJ registrant list" or something.

Quote:
On to a different topic....everyone goes on and on about Palo. We are Disney dorks but this will be our first Disney cruise. We are NOT foodies at all so I haven't been convinced that we should do the brunch or dinner. If we were to try it, it would be the brunch. Wait, do you have to dress up for the brunch?? I don't think we are interested in dinner because we are finicky eaters and don't like dressing up. So, sell me on the brunch. Is it really that good? Is there enough for a vegetarian to eat? ***I'm not a vegetarian but I'm incredibly picky about meat, I don't really like it that much, and tend to eat vegetarian meals.
We are not foodies either but do think we will try Palo this time. Wait, let me rephrase. I will book Palo this time and let hubby know. Brunch is *for sure* with the group -- it is fun!!!

Quote:
Also, I've emailed my travel agent about the new rates that came out. I'm going to see about cancelling and rebooking. Still waiting to hear back from her about that. If it works out, I may go ahead and splurge on the expensive CD of pictures!! Anyhoo, when do these rates come out on other sailings? And how long do they stay out?
Canceling at this point you lose your deposit, but depending on what you are booked at now it may work in your favor to lose deposit and rebook. Also have to take into consideration if you already have OBC or if you booked onboard. Also be sure to check if your TA will also give perks for booking with them.

CD ran us $399 on our WBTA. We had about 415 pictures on it.

The rates stay out for x amount of cabins. Like with interline and military rates, they may put only 50 cabins into those rate codes for booking, and once gone, that rate code / category is not available at that code any longer. That said... INT and MTO rates keep popping up.... and those were released about two months ago for this sailing. Or it could be yanked at any time. We never know. I have seen KSF disappear literally right after booking a client.

Quote:
For Disney - whatever fits in your carryon. Just remember no coolers or ice chests. Other cruiselines vary, but here is the DCL website policy

Yes - please keep all bottles in your room. Mix in room for "in-room consumption" . . .
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
padalyn
Truth is stranger than fiction - you really can't make this stuff up!

Quote:

Palo - one should not miss it! The brunch is amazing...you will be fine as a single. When I have cruised alone or with people who chose to not go, I enjoyed it solo. That being said - my Nook gets a workout!!! Go, enjoy and chat with everyone - the staff are very social all over the ship.

Quote:

ok - your questions in order:
Palo - (and ALL the restaurants) offer vegitarian selections at every meal. The brunch is a better deal if you are not sure - since you pick a little of this and a little of that - it is a buffet style. They serve hot entres such as salmon pasta, eggs benedict, and personal pizza (I suggest the grape and gorgonzola....amazing!) The dinner has great choices, but you are limited to the menu (including the veg option of course) the dinner is a classical Italian 6 course meal...be ready to be over fed!

I know nothing about those rates as I am usually booked the first day the cruise opens...good luck with that one.

Alcohol - technically yes, there is a limit - I have no idea what it is. You should NEVER bring the bottles out of your cabin - we don't want to loose this perk. So, I have the steward deliver wine glasses every day (filled to the brim two are a full bottle). We always have a sippy cup of some sort and a small water bottle that we keep filled with our additive for mixed drinks.

I hope that answers the questions - ask away if you have more, always willing to give my two cents!

Cayla
Oct - our one year anniversary - the last of 7 trips to celebrate our first year of marriage! (part 7)
2/15/15:.....Magic Cruise
5/15/15:...EBTA northern itinerary
July 2015....Vero Beach for turtle watch!
Nov 2015.....family trip to WDW for Thanksgiving
Past trips: .. .. .. WDW: (no longer counting). . . . . . . . .DLR:5 . . . . . . . . . .DLP:2 . . . . . . . . .The rest? not planned yet!
. .Cruises.(27 with total nights: 191)[Fantasy x3; Dream x4; Magic x12; Wonder x9]. . ABD:Imperial Cities
.DVC member since 2001
Oct 12, 2013: our handfasting day!!!! The most important day of my life.
2012:My Grand Slam!.. .. .. .. 4 - 3 - 2 - 1....4 ships, 3 ports, 2 coasts, in 1 year!!
padalyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: