Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Need some ideas please

We will be at Disney for one day and one night before getting on a Disney Cruise for a week. We have never been to Disney before so it is a little overwhelming for me to try to plan.

We will be doing either MK or HS for a day. I am looking for recommendations for a nice but not super expensive dinner that day. We will be staying at All Star Music resort. We dont need a character dinner as we will be getting a lot of character meetings on the cruise.

If you could only recommend a couple of choices, what would you suggest? At either park or somewhere not too far away (we will have a car).

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
dismebro
Earning My Ears

If you don't want a Disney restaurant, you can't go wrong with the Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden, or Golden Corral nearby.

But if you do, just eat at the asm restaurant
dismebro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Joan S.
DIS Veteran
Needs to 'fess up to DH about the next WDW trip!

Hi, In DTD the Wolfgang Puck Express has a nice dinner menu and is priced well. It is counter service order and then the food is brought to your table. Joan
Old 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

I would want to know more about who and how old you are traveling with.

If you have never been to WDW before I would say Magic Kingdom is where you should go first.

As far as a meal plan... We would need to know more about who is traveling.
Some suggestions would be something in one of the resorts on the monorail loop... So that you can ride that.

When are you going ?
What kind of food do you like ?

Try looking at :
Kona at the poly
O'hana at the poly
Crystal palace in MK - it's a character meal but right in the MK...

I used to love the whispering canyon cafe at wilderness lodge but it has been a bit down hill lately ...easy to get to by boat from magic kingdom.

Don't get over whelmed ... We are all here to make sure your trip is magical.

You are going to LOVE the cruise !!!! Nothing better.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
sdjen
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone,

A few more details. It will be me and my DD who will be 8. We will be traveling with my cousin, her hubby and son who is 9. I would say nothing too fancy or expensive as we will be cruising and that food is awesome.

We are still trying to decide which park to do for the one day. It sounds like MK will probably be the most "Disney". If we do that, I guess we will just have to realize we cannot do everything in one day!

I think DTD might be a good choice too. Last year pre-cruise, my DD and I did that for a day and ate at Rainforest Cafe which was really fun. I was thinking about T-rex but cannot decide.

How far would it be by car from MK to DTD?

Thanks for all of the help! I am an expert on the cruise part but totally lost for the park/resort parts
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
shortchef
Mouseketeer

With kids that age, I think MK would be a good choice. Even with a car, it takes a very long time to exit and return to a park so it might be best to have dinner at the park. Columbia Harbour House in Liberty Square has good food and variety for reasonable prices. Have a great trip!
shortchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

When you say you have one day - what time do you expect to arrive that day? How soon are you going? It will affect what ADR's are still available.
If you are going from All Stars to the MK, I would take the bus. The bus is the easiest way to the MK from all resorts. Otherwise you have to park at the TTC and take the Monorail or Ferry across the lagoon to the MK.
I would recommend the Plaza Restaurant in the MK. It is mainly sandwiches and ice ceam treats, but they are delish and the decor is nice. It is also less expensive than most restaurants.
Another thought would be the Liberty Tree Tavern in the MK. It serves a Thanksgiving like, all you care to eat dinner.
If I only had one day, I would choose to stay in the park to eat, rather than wasting time travelling.
Good Luck
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Since you only have one day I would eat in the park. I, like others, would also recommend the MK and would suggest eating at The Plaza. The food is basic (sandwiches, salads, etc.) but delicious and they offer a wide range of soda fountain items. We have been going to WDW since the year it opened and The Plaza is a must for us on every visit. If you choose to dine there you would want to make a reservation as it is quite popular.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

I would recommend eating at MK. Either LTT or Tony's.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
cceandme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia's mom
If you have never been to WDW before I would say Magic Kingdom is where you should go first.
:
I agree. Magic Kingdom is a must do. Always feels like the heart of WDW to me

Me(Rhonda)38, Randy39 ,Chelsea 20, Cody 19 , Ethan 13 ,
Also at home a dog, a cat, a Macaw, a Ball python, a Leopard Gecko and a goldfish
cceandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

I'd say go the Magic Kingdom, eat QS in the park and if you want to leave that park to eat, go to Earl of Sandwich at DTD!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
sdjen
DIS Veteran

I am so glad there are so many experts to help me plan! It makes sense to me to stay in the park and not wasting park time for travel time.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I cannot make reservations for several months but I love to plan. I will ask my traveling partners which they might prefer from the good ideas you have all provided.

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchef
With kids that age, I think MK would be a good choice. Even with a car, it takes a very long time to exit and return to a park so it might be best to have dinner at the park. Columbia Harbour House in Liberty Square has good food and variety for reasonable prices. Have a great trip!
I agree!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
marshmeloh
Ev'rybody has a Laughing Place... mine is WDW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortchef
Im going to second or third this. Counter service is definitely the way to go with just one day so your not stuck having to be somewhere at a certain time. You can just eat when everyone's hungry! Columbia harbor house has great food but if those options don't appeal to you, cosmic rays in tomorrow land is pretty good too! Save room for a fresh baked cookie ice cream sandwich from sleepy hollow in liberty square or a dole whip from aloha isle in adventureland though!
marshmeloh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: