DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #1
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Wifi is terrible at grand californian villas

We stayed 3 nights at DGC with Adventures by Disney in a standard room (5239) with no wifi problems. Yesterday we moved to a studio villa (4504). The wifi comes and goes (mostly goes). When I called they said "you're far away in the villas and if I want to use wifi I should go to the lobby." So it looks like my iPad is useless here.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I seem to recall similar problems last year in 6500. You may do better mid-day when the system isn't so heavily used.
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

That's disappointing.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
starwood

Woo hoo finally got a very weak connection. Hope I don't lose it.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Do they still have a wired connection? When I stayed there last September they had both, I used the wired.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Meriweather
Maybe we will have an arrival or two today
Time to share your chocolate!

Spent 3 trips there this year so far and only had problems when sitting on the bed, it was good at the table and the balcony.........2nd floor and 5th floor.
They do still have a wired connection.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I seem to recall similar problems last year in 6500. You may do better mid-day when the system isn't so heavily used.
I think that the bandwidth is the problem like its to little for the the amount of people using it . Cause most time anywhere I was especially the parks the wifi I'd have full 3bars wifi and it would still take forever to connect .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
ssawka
DIS Veteran

I have learned to not rely on any public WiFi. If it works, great. If not, I'll just connect to my smart phone's hotspot.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Unfortunately for my husband he can only take working vacations and spends at least a couple of hours working each day. We were there the first week in June. He would sit at the desk in the master bedroom with his laptop and never had any issues connecting or with spotty reception. Our kids did have issues with their iPhones and iPads from time to time though. I didn't have issues with my phone, but rarely connect.

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
starwood

When I called them about the problems I was told to plug into the ethernet... well that won't help with my ipad Then they said I should go down to the lobby because it's better there. I can't believe that other hotels have no problems supplying wifi but GC can't.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
I can't believe that other hotels have no problems supplying wifi but GC can't.
Many other hotels DO have problems. Family vacation destinations tend to the the worst.

Hotels which primarily cater to business travelers or short-stay weekenders don't see high wifi usage. Room occupancy tends to be low (most business travelers are solo) and their usage typically doesn't require a lot of bandwidth. Families in the midst of a long road trip may check email or do other brief tasks, but the hotel is just a quick stopover on the way to other destinations.

But when it comes to family destination resorts, these days the rooms are packed with multiple devices all trying to share the bandwidth. You could have 8 people in a two bedroom DVC villa each using their smartphones, laptops and video game consoles simultaneously. Between email, web browsing, Netflix streaming, video chats, Facebook and Instagram uploads...the usage level can be extremely high. And it will be worst during the periods when most rooms are filled with guests--first thing in the morning and late in the evening.

Disney's internet service is provided by outside vendors. Unfortunately their hands may be tied by contracts which didn't anticipate the explosion of web-enabled devices which has occurred in recent years. It's a solvable problem but if the ISP is providing the minimum service required by their contract, corrective action may not be required on their part.

Web access is necessary in my line of work so I tend to have backup options available. Most smartphones can be set to function as a short range wifi hotspot. That's a decent option for urgent needs. And as the hotel staff said, public areas like the hotel lobby tend to have better public wifi--in the lobby, service isn't being choked-off by hundreds of guests trying to share the service.

When possible, schedule tasks to run overnight. If I have large files to download or upload, I'll just start it before turning-in and it usually completes overnight as total guest usage declines.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
We stayed 3 nights at DGC with Adventures by Disney in a standard room (5239) with no wifi problems. Yesterday we moved to a studio villa (4504). The wifi comes and goes (mostly goes). When I called they said "you're far away in the villas and if I want to use wifi I should go to the lobby." So it looks like my iPad is useless here.
We stayed in a studio villa twice with all 3 of us on our iPads. No issues whatsoever.

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
aggiemullins
Do I have to grow up?

In my experience last year at OKW, the problem wasn't bandwidth, it was that DVC cheaped out on the wifi buildout and only put base stations in certain select units. The units without base stations have to hope and pray they can find the sweet spot to catch the signal from two units over that's buried in the locked closet.

I only discovered this because we had 2 two bedroom units and we got stuck in the one without a base station and zero coverage while my sister's unit (with a base station) worked just fine.

Their tech support won't tell you this unless you pry and demand to know why your iPad works just fine in the unit next door.

aggiemullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

I agree with Tjkraz about the reasons for Internet slowness in hotels, and as a frequent business traveler would like to add that even at business hotels WiFi and even hardwire connections are generally bad. I have almost universally found that the larger the hotel, the worse it is. I purposely book at smaller hotels now like Hampton Inn, where you have a couple hundred rooms sharing a connection, not a couple thousand like VGC. I have always thought that sites like trip advisor should have rankings on wifi quality like they do for cleanliness. Most hotels provide wifi for basic business needs like email and work data connections, and never dreamed of supplying video streaming and other high bandwidth services that have popped up in the last 5 years.

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestDadEver View Post
I think that the bandwidth is the problem like its to little for the the amount of people using it . Cause most time anywhere I was especially the parks the wifi I'd have full 3bars wifi and it would still take forever to connect .
Agree....there is a bottleneck somewhere.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: