Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
disneychick0412
DIS Veteran

Do you do online check-in?

I've never done online check-in. I've never had to wait for a long time to check in, so I don't understand the point. Is there a benefit that I am not aware of? Does it improve my chances of getting requests met?

Thanks!!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I usually do. And do you want to know why??? It's a truly stupid reason.....it gives me something 'Disney' to do while waiting for my trip to arrive!!!
I used to think that it didn't matter much when staying DVC...I had yet to have my requests met to any great extent. But when I went down in Dec, and stayed at SSR for the first time, online checkin actually gave me some usable options. So, I requested close to the bus stop. And that's exactly what I got!!! Walked out the door of the bldg and there was the stop...about 30' away!!! I had no idea what I was doing when requesting anything at SSR..had never even been there before!!!
So, yep, I still do online checkin. I have to checkin anyway, might as well do it now.
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Historically the benefit was (in theory) a slightly more streamlined check in process because your welcome packet, etc was 'WAITING FOR YOU'. Also, once magic bands, fast pass plus, etc are fully rolled out, it appears that the online check in will be the guest's "key" to opening the pre-reservation aspects of fast pass plus (ice, it may become like making dining reservations for character meals, where it helps to go online at first possible minute of available window), but that system does not yet exist and it is also still in flux-in other words, that aspect not yet relevant.
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychick0412
Is there a benefit that I am not aware of?
Until they roll out FastPass Plus, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychick0412
Does it improve my chances of getting requests met?
Nope.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I usually do. And do you want to know why??? It's a truly stupid reason.....it gives me something 'Disney' to do while waiting for my trip to arrive!!!
I used to think that it didn't matter much when staying DVC...I had yet to have my requests met to any great extent. But when I went down in Dec, and stayed at SSR for the first time, online checkin actually gave me some usable options. So, I requested close to the bus stop. And that's exactly what I got!!! Walked out the door of the bldg and there was the stop...about 30' away!!! I had no idea what I was doing when requesting anything at SSR..had never even been there before!!!
So, yep, I still do online checkin. I have to checkin anyway, might as well do it now.
I agree. I also have been able to change room assignment if needed even doing online checkin. I asked for a different floor than given and they looked for availability and changed room number at online checkin desk. So I don't see why you wouldn't.
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
MYD714
Please stand clear of the doors...

We've done online check in for our past 3 or 4 trips, and liked it. We've also been lucky to get all of our requests. I do feel that the process is a lot faster.

Last year we were greeted upon arriving at AKL and told to have a seat. A woman came over to us and provided us with our check in packet. We didn't have to get in line and stand at the desk at all; it was really nice.

MYD714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

It depends alot on what Resort and When you Arrive there. By using Online Check-in you will almost always get a shorter line. Plus by giving your request ahead of time it is my understanding that your room becomes one of the first to be asigned for that day of arrivals. Almost every time that I have used the Online Check my room was ready when I got there even though my 1:30ish arrival is before the actual check-in time.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
iheartjuppy
Mouseketeer

It may be urban legend, but we've never done online check-in because rumor has it that you have a better chance of a little pixie dust (better room, upgrades, etc.) if you do regular check-in with minimal noted requests. Not sure if that's true but we did receive some pixie dust on our last stay so we're sticking with it
iheartjuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
lobsterslayer
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I was guilty of this today. We are 15 days away, I had already decided long ago not to do online check in. Today I got bored and couldn't help myself. Oh well, we are staying at the BCR CL SV room and the only request we had was full balconey so I don't think it's going to make much differance. We do arrive around 1pm so if the room is ready and we like the location and our KTTW cards are all set it will be that much quicker we can start enjoying Disney.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychick0412 View Post
I've never done online check-in. I've never had to wait for a long time to check in, so I don't understand the point. Is there a benefit that I am not aware of? Does it improve my chances of getting requests met?

Thanks!!
I've arrived when the "stand by" check in line was very long. The online is supposed to speed things up but it doesn't seem to be doing that but I'll continue to use it. Online check in was supposed to be for people who didn't have room requests and had been at the resort before so all someone needed to do was show a photo ID and get their packet and leave. But it seems everyone is taking advantage of the check-in so people who don't need high maintenance still have to wait anyway.

Sorry - pet peeve. Give me my room key and I'm gone. Don't take up the time to ask a zillion questions or complain about not getting your exact room you wanted.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I don't do it. It's important that I get my requests whenever possible, so I don't want to have to wait for a pre-assigned room to be changed. We arrive early in the morning and we've never had much of a wait. So we don't see the point- but that's just us.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: