Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
Julie711
DIS Veteran

DH & myself went on a kid free trip this past February for my 30th birthday and stayed at AKL. As we were checking in DH simply said we were celebrating my birthday and was wondering if there was any upgrades available, they gave us a savannah view on the fifth floor which was great. We got to see all the animals every morning, very nice!!!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

Don't be shy or embarrassed about asking for an upgrade (or how much one costs). The front desk gets upgrade etc. requests all day long. I'm in agreement about it usually happening when it benefits the hotel or if it is a necessity for them - however, as long as your brother is nice about it (and I'm sure he will be), I don't see how it will hurt. Sometimes there is latitude regarding room assignments - hopefully you will get something extra special! Any room at the Grand Flo is fabulous though so you will give your mom a trip of a lifetime no matter what!!! Kudos to you and your brother for making this happen!

PS I've requested an upgrade twice: one time I was told there was one available and given the daily price for it and the other time, my wish was granted.
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf29 View Post
Any CM working the front desk should be comfortable enough handling this request. We all know that WDW guests have higher expectations than anywhere else, so their CMs should be well-traained to handle such a common request comfortably.
I'm not trying to imply that they start sweating over it or anything. But saying no to someone always changes the vibe of the interaction. I have no doubt that there are people that push the issue and make it a completely negative experience for themselves and the CM.

There's a reason the resort CMs here have stated that they won't give an upgrade to someone who asks.

CM: Hi! Welcome to Disney! Blah Blah Blah Blah... I hope you enjoy your magica-
Guest: Can I get a TPV room instead?
CM: Let me see what we have available.... looks like we do have some availability. It would be an additional $xxx in total.
Guest: I was hoping it would be free.
CM: ..... No, I'm sorry. There is a charge for the room upgrade.
Guest: I know you guys have done it before.

Now what? It's just uncomfortable for the CM to try and find a polite and suitable answer for the guest.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
appleorchard
DIS Veteran

Nothing against the original poster, but I have never understood this. People pay for these rooms. Why should other people get them just by asking at the front desk if they can have one even though they didn't pay for it and don't want to pay like everybody else. I just don't have that kind of...guts.
appleorchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
blackacex2
Mouseketeer

I can maybe shed some light on this discussion.

When staying at wilderness lodge woods view room in feb 2011, we requested a high floor. That was our only request- just for the highest floor available. I thought it was weird that we had to insert our keycard in the elevator to get to our floor. The next morning I noticed all these people sitting around having breakfast. Apparently I had been upgraded to club level and I didn't even know it. It was AWESOME. We would never dream of requesting that as an upgrade, but apparently the CM didn't mind hooking us up.

If it wasn't for the dozens of bats flying around the resort during our stay it would have really been magical.... lol
blackacex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #21
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Thank you for asking this! I had the same question!

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue
Thank you for asking this! I had the same question!
Its tacky to ask for free stuff.
lililoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleorchard
Nothing against the original poster, but I have never understood this. People pay for these rooms. Why should other people get them just by asking at the front desk if they can have one even though they didn't pay for it and don't want to pay like everybody else. I just don't have that kind of...guts.
*like*
Old 01-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #24
disnut8
DIS Veteran

The OP said she would be fine without an upgrade asking for one isn't tacky or rude. It's just asking. I'd imagine the conversation would go something like this -

Cast Member - OK - I have your room here
Brother - one question - do you happen to have any upgrades available?

Scenario 1 -
Cast Member - No, I'm sorry I don't
Brother - OK, thanks

Scenario 2 -
Cast Member - Yes, I do, it would be $XXX to upgrade to Y
Brother - Oh, too rich for my blood, thanks

Scenario 3 -
Cast Member - Yes, I do, it would be $XXX to upgrade to Y
Brother - OK, that's reasonable, I'll take it

To the OP - I wouldn't play the cancer card. To me, that would be tacky as Disney gets people who are terminally ill. I know your mother has been through a lot but there are a lot of people there who have been through more so doing that would, in my opinion, not be advisable.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #25
CT Yankee
Earning My Ears

Smile

My response to a question like this is always "the worst they can say is no." We received very nice upgrades on our last two trips to WDW and the first time we did not even ask for one - it was true pixie dust for us. Just simply ask if they have any upgrades availalbe.

Never underestimate the power of suggestion. I'll never forget this one episode that happened at the jewelry counter when I worked at Filene's: A mom came in with her high school aged son to buy him a good watch for his graduation present. The salesman spent lots of time with these customers to find just the "right" watch. Once they were finally settled on which watch to buy for the son, the salesman turned to the mom and very politely said, "And now it's your turn." The mom paused for a second and said, "You know, you're right - I haven't bought myself a new watch in a long time!" The guy made another sale with no pressure - just a polite suggestion.

CT Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
MyPrinceWillCome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post
To the OP - I wouldn't play the cancer card. To me, that would be tacky as Disney gets people who are terminally ill. I know your mother has been through a lot but there are a lot of people there who have been through more so doing that would, in my opinion, not be advisable.
I specifically said I wouldn't do that. I just mentioned it in the original post, because I was talking about why I want this trip to be very special for my mother.
MyPrinceWillCome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Definitely ask! If you don't ask, you don't get! Have a great trip!

You might want to save some money between now and then so you can pay for it if they don't upgrade for free!

Edit: Actually, personally with that money I would take your mom out to a very nice dinner at V&A. I find concierge to be a rip off and I am surprised anyone pays for it. It's like you are competing with all the other people who were overcharged for the scraps they put out.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #28
Chrisrokc
Earning My Ears

I plan on asking on our March 1st trip. If they ask for me to pay that's okay, but if they don't I am going to keep my mouth shut. Right now it looks like I can't upgrade at the same rate I got in November. Blah! But I bet if they have empty CL rooms when I arrive their tune will change.
Chrisrokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #29
cindym
Mouseketeer

I took my sister to the YC a few years ago. All the way down I told her about the great balconies there. When we got to our room the balcony was on a roof looking at the air conditioners! They had literally put a railing on the graveled roof that the air conditioners were on. I have never seen a balcony like that. I called the desk and asked if we could be moved as I had built up my sister's expectations so much. I had booked standard and a parking lot view would have been ok. We just wanted to be able to sit outside. (it was Jan. we're from Ohio)
We would have been sitting with the maintenance men on that balcony! They gave us an upgrade to a lagoon view room! So it doesn't hurt to ask politely.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #30
Pandora5
Earning My Ears

I have never asked for an upgrade myself, however I have been on the other side. We were always more than willing and understanding with guests that were courteous and polite rather than expecting to get something for free - not that you fall into the second category, just saying. If you do get the upgrade, make sure to take the time and write a comment card WITH the CM's name.

As many others have said, there is only one way to find out if it's available or not, and that is to ask. I would guarantee the staff is well trained in dealing with these requests and I don't believe it would put either of you in an uncomfortable situation. I say go for it.
Pandora5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: