Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Update - 48 year old millionaire adopts 42 year old girlfriend as daughter

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/01...-his-daughter/

The story is even sleazier than the title of this thread.

John Goodman (not of Roseanne fame) is a sleazy millionaire who got drunk and decided to take his Bentley out for a spin. He ran a stop sign, killing Patrick Wilson, a 23 year old recent college graduate. Patrick was driving home for his sister's birthday. Mr. Goodman is facing charges of DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a crash.

Well now, Mr Gollum(Goodman)is doing everything in his power to hold onto his precious($$$). By adopting his 42 year old girlfriend he is hoping to list her as a dependent, which would shield a large portion of his money from a civil suit filed by the victim's family. A probate court has been called upon to determine if this adoption is a sham.

Hmm... is this a sham? Isn't it entirely possible that Mr. Goodman adopted this poor 42 year old woman out of the kindness of his heart? Maybe he just wanted to finally give her a forever home. Hopefully, the court system will work, and Mr. Goodmans' high powered attorneys and millions of dollars will not be able to shield him from taking responsibility for the young man that he killed.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Last edited by Wall-E1; 03-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E1 View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/01...-his-daughter/

The story is even sleazier than the title of this thread.

John Goodman (not of Roseanne fame) is a sleazy millionaire who got drunk and decided to take his Bentley out for a spin. He ran a stop sign, killing Patrick Wilson, a 23 year old recent college graduate. Patrick was driving home for his sister's birthday. Mr. Goodman is facing charges of DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a crash.

Well now, Mr Gollum(Goodman)is doing everything in his power to hold onto his precious($$$). By adopting his 42 year old girlfriend he is hoping to list her as a dependent, which would shield a large portion of his money from a civil suit filed by the victim's family. A probate court has been called upon to determine if this adoption is a sham.

Hmm... is this a sham? Isn't it entirely possible that Mr. Goodman adopted this poor 42 year old woman out of the kindness of his heart? Maybe he just wanted to finally give her a forever home. Hopefully, the court system will work, and Mr. Goodmans' high powered attorneys and millions of dollars will not be able to shield him from taking responsibility for the young man that he killed.
really, they need a court to decide if it a sham or not
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Really?? I have a hard time believing you can adopt someone who is not (really, really NOT) a minor. This seems silly.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
really, they need a court to decide if it a sham or not
Well, sure. A court approved the adoption, so certainly a court would need to overturn that decision.
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Art 1
DIS Veteran

You can't blame him for trying.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Really?? I have a hard time believing you can adopt someone who is not (really, really NOT) a minor. This seems silly.
I was JUST watching a show that had a similar thing happen.

It was on Invest Discovery(ID), I think, and it was about people and their wills and how their estates were handled. It was on ID so of course there was some kind of criminal activity going on in those stories.

I was only half paying attention, so I can't remember how this man had KNOWN these two women, but he adopted them when they were in their 30's and made them his beneficiaries.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

Aside from being utterly ridiculous, won't adopting his girlfriend make it quite difficult when they break up? Because this relationship is just destined to last forever. Maybe he will disown her after a paternity test shows she is not his daughter.

I have never heard of adults being adopted. Why would that even happen?
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckay87 View Post
Doris Duke adopted a 35 year old woman. She believed that the woman was the reincarnated version of her daughter who died years ago. Later on they had a falling out.
WowLookAtThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

My Dad was technically adopted as an adult. He was from his mother's first marriage. She got divorced and married her second husband when my dad was young. My dad took the second husband's last name but it was never legal. When he was in his early 20's he met my mom and they planned to get married plus he was drafted into the army (this was 1956). At that time, he was legally adopted by my grandmother's second husband to make the name legal. I think his bio dad had died by then, so there was no issue with him.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I wonder if they can arrest him for committing incest.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
I dunno since she and adult
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
SallySkelington
I had enough decency to turn my head and spew root beer all over my sister next to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by okeydokey View Post
My thoughts exactly! Can you say awkward?

I've been BOO'ED by GoofyinToronto!

SallySkelington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
cornflake
DIS Veteran

There are lots of legitimate situations in which people adopt those who aren't minors - like the lost boys of Somalia, I don't know that they were but that's an example of people who did not have a normal childhood so by the time they're 18 still do need a legal guardian/guidance, etc., because they just don't know how to operate by themselves in the wider world and being able to adopt can allow for some extra stuff, like insurance and etc., that you can put a college student child on but not a stranger. That kind of thing.

However, this has nothing to do with that and seems completely despicable yeah.

Though of course they need a court to decide it, who else could adjucate the matter?
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #14
DawnM
Dawn

Wouldn't his assets be protected if he married her and had her name as his power of attorney on all assets?

Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

This man's nuts.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: