Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
*Flower*
Needs to Win the Lottery!!

Alaska Cruise Info

We're thinking about doing an Alaskan cruise for our anniversary next year and I (being the obsessive planner) need some information!

1) Hotel recommendations. We're planning on arriving the day before the cruise- maybe 2 days before (never been to Canada), and would like some ideas on where to stay.

2) Transportation. How would you suggest getting from the airport to the pier/hotel area?

3) Sights. What would the 'must do's' be for while we're in Vancouver before the cruise?

As you can see- I need HELP!! LOL
I'm good at planning connections out of Port Canaveral, Galveston, Miami and Barcelona- but Vancouver is a whole other thing!

TIA....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
*Flower*

Thanks Wendy! I'll take a look. Of course if anyone has any personal preferences- I'd be happy to check those out too.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
valbob89
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Pan Pacific which is right above the terminal. It could not have been more easy. After you pick up your luggage you go out the door and a bell cap is a few yards away to take your luggage upstairs to the lobby. The prices seem a little high, but they have a lot of discounts, ask.

You can take a taxi for about $35 or the DCL transportation which is very convenient. I think that was $25 each for a one way ticket.

We did the Big Red Bus, their Hop-on-Hop-off and the Capilano Bridge park. I could recommend both and you can get the buses right at Canada Place. Check out Group-On for discount deals.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
lisettemac
Earning My Ears

1) Hotel recommendations. We're planning on arriving the day before the cruise- maybe 2 days before (never been to Canada), and would like some ideas on where to stay.

As another poster suggested, the Pan Pacific is right by the terminal. But there are lots of other options. We stayed at a generic Sheraton in the financial district and it was fine.

2) Transportation. How would you suggest getting from the airport to the pier/hotel area?

We cabbed from the airport to our hotel and from our hotel to the port. It was easy, but I think there is also an Airlink train.

3) Sights. What would the 'must do's' be for while we're in Vancouver before the cruise?

We went to Granville Island - it has a beautiful public market, entertainers and restaurants.
lisettemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
*Flower*

Thanks Val- believe it or not, we'd already scoped out the Pan Pacific... they're ALREADY FULL for the night that we're looking for!

I'm sure that everything will work out in the end though!

lisettemac- thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll be checking those suggestions out!

I'm open to more though, because we might be coming in even earlier- depending on the powers that be!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

We stayed at the Blue Horizon Hotel.

We got the train from the airport into town.

We went to the suspension bridge, Grouse Mountain and Stanley Park.

You can read more in my TR if your interested, we stayed in Vancouver for 4 nights.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Flower* View Post
Thanks Val- believe it or not, we'd already scoped out the Pan Pacific... they're ALREADY FULL for the night that we're looking for!
I'm sure that everything will work out in the end though!

lisettemac- thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll be checking those suggestions out!

I'm open to more though, because we might be coming in even earlier- depending on the powers that be!
It could be that they haven't started accepting reservations for next summer. Check back after the first of the year.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Flower* View Post
We're thinking about doing an Alaskan cruise for our anniversary next year and I (being the obsessive planner) need some information!

As you can see- I need HELP!! LOL
I'm good at planning connections out of Port Canaveral, Galveston, Miami and Barcelona- but Vancouver is a whole other thing!

TIA....

As other posters have recommended - we knew we wanted to stay at the Pan Pacific this past June when we cruised and we were very pleased. We know next time we will definitely stay there again. We booked the room about 3 months out and had no issues. I think as another poster mentioned, check back again later as I don't believe they've opened all the dates yet.

We used a taxi to and from the airport/Canada Place and had no issues at all. We paid roughly $25-$30 for the three of us, with tip. I wouldn't hesitate to use a taxi again.

We also arrived two days prior to our cruise and LOVED Vancouver. We walked along the sea wall to Stanley Park and loved it. We also walked around locally near the Pan Pacific and ate out locally. We have so much to still do and that's why there has to be a NEXT time for us!

Have a great time,
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

We had a wonderful time. I booked the PanPacific right at 11months out. It is pricy but so easy. I flew SW so I got the train from Seattle which was very easy as well. My mom met me in Vancouver and her taxi was $35 from the airport. We loved Vancouver it was so and lots of great places to see and eat. The am of the cruise I got up at 6am and watched the wonder sail in! That was one of the highlights of the vacation.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznLexi View Post
We had a wonderful time. I booked the PanPacific right at 11months out. It is pricy but so easy. I flew SW so I got the train from Seattle which was very easy as well. My mom met me in Vancouver and her taxi was $35 from the airport. We loved Vancouver it was so and lots of great places to see and eat. The am of the cruise I got up at 6am and watched the wonder sail in! That was one of the highlights of the vacation.
Lexi, I remember seeing several of your posts regarding your recent cruise, but I don't remember if you had a harbor view room at the Pan Pacific. If not, where did you watch the Wonder come into port from at 6 AM?
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #12
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

I walked outside the Pan and walked almost to the Flying over Canada area second level I think. Grabbed a chair and sat and waited. I asked the night before where the wonder would dock there are 2 docks she also told me that If I get there around 615am I could watch her sail in. She was completely docked by 7am. Right around 615am I could see her smoke stack go under the bridge. Very cool. We also later saw in our friends room whom had the harbour corner room the characters practicing for the sail away party. I would not hesitate to book the Pan Again.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

We stayed 4 nights at the Pan Pacific, we had a harbour view room and it was worth every penny watching the sea planes taking off and landing and the cruise ships coming in every morning, including the Wonder on embarkation day!

If you don't have a harbour view room at any of the hotels you can watch it come in from Canada Place.

We also took the sky train to/from the airport - so easy and very inexpensive.

We had three full days in Vancouver - the first one was spent walking the sea wall to Vancouver Aquarium and Stanley Park, second was to Gastown, Capilano Suspension Bridge and shopping (got a teenager who was desperate to get to American Eagle and Forever 21) and in the evening we walked to English beach to see the fireworks, and on the final day we spent it at Grouse Mountain and then back in Vancouver went up the Lookout twice, once in daylight and again at night (tickets are good for all day). Capilano and Grouse are easy to do in the same day if you prefer.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We booked the Pan Pacific using Hotwire and it was amazing! The Sheraton Wall is also very nice and around the same price on Hotwire.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
*Flower*

Quote:
I feel better about not being able to book the Pan Pacific right now. Hopefully everything will work out and I'll be able to see the Wonder sail in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfaninaz View Post
Lexi, I remember seeing several of your posts regarding your recent cruise, but I don't remember if you had a harbor view room at the Pan Pacific. If not, where did you watch the Wonder come into port from at 6 AM?
Lexie, do you have a link to your trip report (or did you do one)?

Quote:
I walked outside the Pan and walked almost to the Flying over Canada area second level I think. Grabbed a chair and sat and waited. I asked the night before where the wonder would dock there are 2 docks she also told me that If I get there around 615am I could watch her sail in. She was completely docked by 7am. Right around 615am I could see her smoke stack go under the bridge. Very cool. We also later saw in our friends room whom had the harbour corner room the characters practicing for the sail away party. I would not hesitate to book the Pan Again.
This sounds amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
We stayed 4 nights at the Pan Pacific, we had a harbour view room and it was worth every penny watching the sea planes taking off and landing and the cruise ships coming in every morning, including the Wonder on embarkation day!

If you don't have a harbour view room at any of the hotels you can watch it come in from Canada Place.

We also took the sky train to/from the airport - so easy and very inexpensive.

We had three full days in Vancouver - the first one was spent walking the sea wall to Vancouver Aquarium and Stanley Park, second was to Gastown, Capilano Suspension Bridge and shopping (got a teenager who was desperate to get to American Eagle and Forever 21) and in the evening we walked to English beach to see the fireworks, and on the final day we spent it at Grouse Mountain and then back in Vancouver went up the Lookout twice, once in daylight and again at night (tickets are good for all day). Capilano and Grouse are easy to do in the same day if you prefer.
I'm hoping that we can get in a couple of days early so that we can sightsee and get used to the time zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
We booked the Pan Pacific using Hotwire and it was amazing! The Sheraton Wall is also very nice and around the same price on Hotwire.
How could you tell that you were bidding on the Pan Pacific on Hotwire? I have yet to give them a try, but am SO tempted!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: