Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Basal Cell Experience???

I had a mole removed from my upper arm. It tested as Basal Cell Carcinoma. I have an appointment next Friday when my dr will cut the skin in that area out & stitch it.

Anyone with experience? Tell me it's not so bad - please!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I had one removed on my upper arm too. It wasn't bad at all. The doctor numbed the area, cut the affected tissue out, stitched it up, and I was out of there. The whole procedure lasted maybe 5 minutes from start to finish. I did take some Tylenol before I left home. It just made me feel better that I did something. I was nervous.

I have a very small scar from it. I always put extra sun screen on that area.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
I had one removed on my upper arm too. It wasn't bad at all. The doctor numbed the area, cut the affected tissue out, stitched it up, and I was out of there. The whole procedure lasted maybe 5 minutes from start to finish. I did take some Tylenol before I left home. It just made me feel better that I did something. I was nervous.

I have a very small scar from it. I always put extra sun screen on that area.

THANK YOU! You made me feel better already, OceanAnnie!

I will take a deep breath and RELAX!!!
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
THANK YOU! You made me feel better already, OceanAnnie!

I will take a deep breath and RELAX!!!
I'm glad. Let me know how it went for you. I'm sure it will be fine.

The funny thing is it was on my right upper arm. I thought it should have been on my left, because that's my driver's side and *seems* to be exposed to more sun.

I'm more diligent about sunscreen now. I wear hats more if I know I'll be in the sun for long periods too. Mostly visor hats. The doctor probably told you you need to be checked every year. It's a good thing.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
LukenDC
DIS Veteran

On Thursday, I had a basel cell carcinoma removed from my face. The doctor used a special surgical technique called Moh's surgery. Moh's surgery minimizes scarring and is used primarily on the face and head. With Moh's, the doctor slices a small layer of skin and examines it under a microspoce to determine if there is more cancer to cut out. Once he achieves clean margins, he closes the wound and sends the patient on his way. Since your skin cancer is on your arm, they probably won't go to the trouble of a Moh's procedure because they will not be as concerned with scarring.

Thankfully, the doctor was able to remove all the cancer with the first excision and I was in the doctor's office for only two hours (Moh's can take several hours due to the time consuming nature of the pathology work). The procedure was painless and the most unpleasant part of it was the cauterizing of the wound. Nothing like hearing your blood and flesh sizzle as the smoke wafts under your nose. I have several stitches, but I am not in discomfort and there was no bruising.
September 2007 WDW Poly/UO Portofino Bay
September 2008 WDW Poly/UO Hard Rock
December 2008 WDW Coronado Springs
August 2009 Polynesian
September 2009 Yacht Club
September 2010 Polynesian
September 2011 AKL
July 2012 Aulani
October 2012 AKL
September 2013 BWI
LukenDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I had one removed from my face. It was outpatient surgery with a plastic surgeon for me. My doctor didn't like MOHS surgery for some reason. He said the location of mine wasn't a good candidate for that one.

It was quick and painless and now my scar makes me look like a pirate. Really though most people don't even notice it.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I had an area removed from my back about five years ago. The doctor numbed the area and cut it out. It took about 15 minutes. I have a two inch long scar on my back. No big deal.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Basal is the least dangerous and most common of the skin cancers. You'll have a few stitches and a scar.

I've had two melanomas removed. They are much more serious and invasive, and require a lot of tissue removed to check for borders.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
amy-momofthree
DIS Veteran

My dad had it on his nose. He also had Moh's surgery. He is just fine.
amy-momofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
christineann
DIS Veteran

I had the Mohs procedure several years ago for a pinhead size spot on the side of my nose. The scarring is pretty minimal given the amount of times they had to go back in (4 total). I was very uncomfortable the next day but fine after that.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

I guess mine was a little more extensive than others here. I had a small spot on the tip of my nose. They did Moh's, but it took quite awhile to get clear labs back. I went straight to a plastic surgeon to fix the eraser sized hole on my nose. He did a fancy type of repair and I had probably 20 tiny stitches on my nose. I also had black eyes and extensive swelling for several days. Once the stitches came out, I used makeup to cover the scar. It's been 18 months and it is still slightly noticeable. When my students(4-6 years old) ask why I have that line, I tell them to be sure and use their sunscreen.

I was told that once you have one spot, you are very likely to have more. Usually the damage is from 15-20 years before. Part of it is just from your skin type. My sister used to lay in the sun on a foil mat using crisco as suntan oil. I have always been a burner and have never tanned for the heck of it. Unfortunately, I have the skin type that is more susceptible to skin cancer.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
christineann
DIS Veteran

Fortunately, the physician who performed the Mohs procedure on me was also a plastic surgeon, so he did everything needed that day. It was an eraser size area by the time he finished the excisions. I don't know how many stitches I had, but the stitches extended from just over the nostril on the side of my nose up to the area between my eyes. The scar is barely even noticeable. He did a great job. I wouldn't have even gone to a doctor about it, but my daughter, who stays out of the sun (smart) asked me if I had a new freckle and said I should get checked out.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #13
kacaju
DIS Veteran

BTDT..Had it on my face..under my eye. Doc did MOHS and you cannot even tell where the scar is.
Good luck..it is scary...but it is one of the *best* cancers to get!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
POOHsie
DIS Veteran

I had a basal cell carcinoma at the tip of my nose. I had one session with the plastic surgeon where he cut a circular area and sent the tissue to the hospital lab. A few days later I got a call that the clear margins weren't sufficient so a little more had to come off in a second visit. My nose looks a little flat now but not scarred looking or discolored. The proposal to fix the damaged area called for cutting skin from between the eyebrows and turning it around to replace the damage on the nose. Sounded like it could result in looking worse than what I already had, so I declined.
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by POOHsie View Post
I had a basal cell carcinoma at the tip of my nose. I had one session with the plastic surgeon where he cut a circular area and sent the tissue to the hospital lab. A few days later I got a call that the clear margins weren't sufficient so a little more had to come off in a second visit. My nose looks a little flat now but not scarred looking or discolored. The proposal to fix the damaged area called for cutting skin from between the eyebrows and turning it around to replace the damage on the nose. Sounded like it could result in looking worse than what I already had, so I declined.
This sounds like what the surgeon did to me. In my case, though, just sewing up the hole would have looked really bad. The scar I have now is barely noticeable, and not noticeable at all if I wear makeup.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: