Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

No offence toward me with seafood! I love most of it except oysters - can do with out those except in a stew.

I'm a Louisiana girl, so crawfish, blue crabs, and shrimp are my favorites. In fact, what I miss most are our crawfish boils - now that is the life! Blue crab and shrimp boils are not too shabby either
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #32
michael61
Mouseketeer

Sounds great but if you get it done right you would love it with or without stuffing,
Getting hungry
Lol
michael61 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 06:08 AM   #33
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I eat almost all seafood, although do not eat muscles, clams, etc. Now I would eat them on the east coast if I was ever there one day.

One of these days I want to travel the east coast eating FRESH seafood.

SO that is my favorite FRESH SEAFOOD. Anything that has been caught and prepared immediately. So good....and that even includes lake fish.

Obviously here in Missouri, if you want fresh, it has to be lake fish or a fancy restaurant.

Getting "fresh" in the grocery store is just not the same.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #34
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
Halibut halibut halibut

I love it and the stuff in the lower 48 just doesn't compare to fresh caught in the summer up here. I also like king and dungenous crab.

(Actually I like almost all seafood, but those are what I eat most of, along with king, red, or silver salmon--which I like but don't love).

Seafood I don't care for: jellyfish and sea cucumber
A little jealous. I bet your seafood is fantastic, fresh and from cold water. I love most seafood, but I like it in its pure form, as in I don't like any type of crab stuffing, or crab cakes. I would kill for some of your salmon. YUM.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #35
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex View Post
Seafood doesn't offend me at all. But I'm of the opinion that, if you hold its head underwater and it doesn't drown, it's not food. And if it doesn't have a definable head, it's not food either.

It just smells wrong, and I don't care how fresh it is. It still smells bad. There's some research that backs me up, too. I'm not going to go on a Google rampage to find it, but as I recall, the compounds present in seafood that give it that "fishy" smell are present even in fresh fish. Some lucky folks can smell it even before it begins to break down, which is when most people can start smelling that distinctive smell of old fish. That may be why I've NEVER found any sort of seafood that didn't smell repulsive, even if I didn't know that it was seafood until someone told me.

You guys can have my share, with my compliments.
Right there with you!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #36
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
A little jealous. I bet your seafood is fantastic, fresh and from cold water. I love most seafood, but I like it in its pure form, as in I don't like any type of crab stuffing, or crab cakes. I would kill for some of your salmon. YUM.
No kidding. Tasha is from Alaska. I would vacation there just to eat fresh seafood if I could.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #37
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

I like it all EXCEPT Tilapia.
scrapquitler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #38
writerriann
Mouseketeer

I need to find some recipes to prepare fish. We keep saying we're going to eat more but I don't really know what to do with it. I would love some ideas on how to bake something like mahi. We like stuff grilled or backed. Fresh Market sells a coconut crusted mahi that all you do is heat up and we love it.

Our Family: Me DH DS7 and Fur Babies Milton , Bailey , and Maggie

2012: June 10 Year Anniversary Extravaganza - 2wks: Poly & Disney Dream!
2011: BC and Cheating on Walt a bit with Harry
2010: Poly - My baby's starting school trip
2009: AKL - First time at a deluxe
2008: POR - First trip with DH and DS
2002: AS Movies - First *real* trip ever
writerriann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #39
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville, Reeking Lumstown, Older than Dirtboro, Only post the good ones, USA

Love: fried calamari (only the rings), fried cod (fish N'chips) clams in white wine sauce, crab cakes, mussels in white wine, fresh tuna steak on the grill.

hate: lobster, salmon, eel.

snapppyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Until recently I liked pretty much everything except oysters. For some reason now though I have been getting turned off by seafood. I haven't given up yet though. I do need to know if it was wild or farmed raised and the country of origin before it passes my lips.

And seaweed salad from Costco sounds just so wrong. Seaweed salad prepared correctly is awesome.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #41
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
I remember vaguely eating a tuna fish sandwich when I was about 5 and my mom claims I liked lobster and shrimp as a 2 year old. I rememebr thrwoing huge crying fit when I was 7 when my dad tried to make me try a bite of fish Other then that I have never tried seafood until last wekend. I hate the smell of it and being vegan the opportunity rarley comes up

Anyways last weekend at Costco they were handing out samples of seaweed salad. My 6 year old vegetarian who likes almost everything and loves to try new foods wanted us to try it as she has been curious for awhile about "seafood". So I try it and immediatley realize how repulsive it is. It is all slimy and tastes incredibly fishy. I have never in my life tasted something this bad. There was no way I was going to get my small bite down without vommiting so I descretly turn away and spit it back out into the container. When I turn around my DD has a look of horror on her face and looks like she is about to cry. I told her it was Ok to spit it out this time so she did and matter of factly stated that she was never eating anything grown in the sea again. The terrible taste wouldn't leave my mouth so I searched in vain for another sample to rid my mouth of the awful fishiness. Of course all they had was meat and cheese samples Finalely just near the end of our trip by the checkout I managed to snag a sample of some dark chocolate.
As much as I love Costco and seafood (separately) - that was the WRONG place to attempt any seafood.

I love most seafood/fish. Mahi Mahi and walleye are my fave fish to chow on. I do love tilapia, but (as I stated on another thread)...it needs to be overcooked. I like it dry throughout.

Love shrimp, clams, mussels, oysters, lobster, crab. Love sunnies, perch, and walleye.

Only fish I have tried that I don't care for - hake and swordfish and salmon. And I have never tried it but I am squicked out by eel. So won't be attempting that one..

Oh, and NOT a fan of breading it. It needs to be cooked/eaten as is. With just a hint of lemon and such. Breading (except on shrimp a few times a year) just takes away the great taste of the food, IMO!
Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #42
diznee25
"Curse you perry the platypus!"

DH is allergic to shellfish, so I don't get to eat it except when we dine out. I love shrimp, crab claws, lobster tails. I'm more picky when it comes to fish, but there are a few salmon recipes I enjoy making!

diznee25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #43
Hercules10
Al Bundy WannaBe

Wha'chu got against fresh water critters? Bass or trout right from the water to the frying pan kicks butt!

Lobster and crab yes, but no shrimp or oysters aka sea boogers.
Hercules10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
rhanditresmom
Apparantly I play for the Washington Freedom Soccer Team, and I seem to be good! I had no idea!!
My siblings and I were seriously demented whilst growing up!
dub me "queen of the ellipses."

I love all seafood, but especially crab, oyster, and shrimp.
rhanditresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #45
Sam81
Mouseketeer

I love it all. Nothing is better than FRESH seafood. We try to eat fish at least 3-4 times a week.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: