Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #16
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Not only I love seafood but even my kids love it too. All of the mentioned, grilled, fried,baked and raw. And more, like seared Ahi Tuna, crawfish etouffee, clams, calamari etc.

For fish, anything that comes from the ocean. Don't like Tilapia or any other muddy fish.

The other dislike for me is old seafood smell or taste.
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #17
denisem
DIS Veteran

I can eat my weight in crustaceans, but pass on molluscs (except scallops - yum!)

Enjoy most fish in general (except salmon for whatever reason), but would kill for some pan fried lake perch like I had as a kid in Michigan.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 02:08 AM   #18
Robbi
DIS Veteran

We had our first hot crawfish last night and ate them cold tonight. Seafood is my favorite. Once a month, I have a Filet Mignon and that's the only meat I have. Don't like poultry, pork, or other beef or any type of game.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #19
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Love fried oysters, grilled salmon, shrimp, lobster, crab, red snapper, fried catfish (lake) and steamed bay scallops. Now I'm hungry.

13 years ago my husband and I lived in Perry,Florida about an hour from Steinhatchee. I was pregnant during this time and I craved seafood being that close to the Gulf it was always available and I ate it on a regular basis. To my husband's disgust, I dined on crab and shrimp with chocolate milk. Sounds terrible now, but at 6months pregnant it was devine. To my surprise, my son hates seafood -- I've always told him he should love crab, shrimp and chocolate milk -- but he hates all three.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
michael61
Mouseketeer

Your all making me hungry time for some food well it's 4 am not sea food now lol
michael61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I remember vaguely eating a tuna fish sandwich when I was about 5 and my mom claims I liked lobster and shrimp as a 2 year old. I rememebr thrwoing huge crying fit when I was 7 when my dad tried to make me try a bite of fish Other then that I have never tried seafood until last wekend. I hate the smell of it and being vegan the opportunity rarley comes up

Anyways last weekend at Costco they were handing out samples of seaweed salad. My 6 year old vegetarian who likes almost everything and loves to try new foods wanted us to try it as she has been curious for awhile about "seafood". So I try it and immediatley realize how repulsive it is. It is all slimy and tastes incredibly fishy. I have never in my life tasted something this bad. There was no way I was going to get my small bite down without vommiting so I descretly turn away and spit it back out into the container. When I turn around my DD has a look of horror on her face and looks like she is about to cry. I told her it was Ok to spit it out this time so she did and matter of factly stated that she was never eating anything grown in the sea again. The terrible taste wouldn't leave my mouth so I searched in vain for another sample to rid my mouth of the awful fishiness. Of course all they had was meat and cheese samples Finalely just near the end of our trip by the checkout I managed to snag a sample of some dark chocolate.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
...I hate the smell of it and being vegan the opportunity rarley comes up

Anyways last weekend at Costco ...
You just like to take the life from one extreme to the other, don't you?

Being a seafood lover I never try the seafood samples from Cosco or any other store, it's either too stinky or has to much junks added into it. The only things i get from there has to be from the ocean, raw and frozen so i can clean it and prep it the right way.
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #23
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

I like it all! My favorites are crab and oysters. I love shrimp cooked any way! I haven't tried some of the more exotic seafood like jellyfish or sea cucumbers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I love it all. The only seafood I don't eat is farmed fish/shellfish, or fish/shellfish from Asia. Lobster, wahoo, Gulf shrimp, crawfish, escargot, anything.
Escargot is not seafood.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #24
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.&ALI'SMOM View Post
I like it all! My favorites are crab and oysters. I love shrimp cooked any way! I haven't tried some of the more exotic seafood like jellyfish or sea cucumbers though.

Escargot is not seafood.
Fair enough! I always throw them in the same category as winkles. I do enjoy both.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #25
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

I don't usually care for "bi-valves" (clams, oysters, mussels) etc. (with a few exceptions)
I don't eat anything with suckers (octopus, squid, no calamari, etc)
I don't do eels or anything that might poison me (puffer fish) if prepared incorrectly
It has to be cooked (no sushi, even tuna steaks gag me when they are uncooked in the middle).
I don't do "unidentified inner parts" (roe, caviar) or strange bottom-of-the-sea type creatures (sea urchin, sea cucumber, etc)

I do LOVE shrimp, lobster, crab legs (I wish the darn things were a little easier to eat, though), scallops.
I love shrimp in all forms - fried, grilled, scampi (be still my heart )
One of the most heavenly things I have ever eaten was a lobster tail, split and stuffed with a stuffing made of different kinds of seafood, breadcrumbs, and cheese, then grilled.
Crab cakes - YUM.
"Anything" Oscar - a base of something topped with asparagus, crab meat, and Hollandaise sauce

I like fish, but only "white" fish. It has to be skinless, boneless, and mildly flavored. Salmon is too strong for me. One of my favorite things is a nice piece of cod, topped with a little butter and a lot of lemon, topped with chopped fresh herbs, baked just until it flakes apart.

Finally, I am not a huge "chowder" fan (see above dislike of bivalves) but when I was in Seattle, I ate at Pike Place Chowder and they had the most DIVINE Seafood Bisque!! All different kids of seafood and fish in a beautiful creamy tomato base. I recently found out that they ship!! To my door in just two days!!! Oh I so didn't need to know that, I have been craving that soup ever since.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #26
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

I am so surprised no one has said, "Fish is our friends.. not food"
Most likely messed that quote up but was too lazy to look it up.

In answer to the question. I just about eat all seafood love it. All except sushi so far tried it didn't like it. On Friday nights the American Legion Hall down the street from me always has a fried catfish dinner for $7 a plate. It is awesome. Better then Long John Silvers. When we have the extra money we treat ourselves to a catfish dinner with the best hush puppies I've ever eaten, french fries and cole slaw or baked beans with bacon. They switch off with the last two items. Yum!! Wish I had the extra money but this month has been really tight.

Next month will be even tighter since I got socked with a $300 electric bill. Still trying to figure that one out.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

Seafood doesn't offend me at all. But I'm of the opinion that, if you hold its head underwater and it doesn't drown, it's not food. And if it doesn't have a definable head, it's not food either.

It just smells wrong, and I don't care how fresh it is. It still smells bad. There's some research that backs me up, too. I'm not going to go on a Google rampage to find it, but as I recall, the compounds present in seafood that give it that "fishy" smell are present even in fresh fish. Some lucky folks can smell it even before it begins to break down, which is when most people can start smelling that distinctive smell of old fish. That may be why I've NEVER found any sort of seafood that didn't smell repulsive, even if I didn't know that it was seafood until someone told me.

You guys can have my share, with my compliments.

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

NO clams, mussels, or oysters.

Everything else is wonderful. Yes, I'm including octopus and squid.

But my two favorites are considered 'wimpy' seafood; shrimp and tilapia. I could give up any other type of protein and just eat those the rest of my life.

There's something about seafood that makes it so less intimidating to try new and 'exotic' varieties. I haven't come across a type of seafood I wasn't willing to try, yet at the same time I won't eat pork, lamb, veal, dark meat poultry...list goes on.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #29
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Just an FYI, seafood should not have a smell, if it's fresh.

My favorite is probably lobster, especially the claws. I can't think of any food from the water I don't like.

I would eat seafood everyday if I could. And that's exactly what I do when I go on a cruise.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
chuckabone
Mouseketeer

I love all seafood except lobster. Every once in a while I will eat a small one but it has to have a crab stuffing in it.
chuckabone is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: