Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #121
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

No never had anything stolen from room.

Moving to Resorts

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #122
carrie6466
DIS Veteran

Never had anything stolen. We usually have these heavy duty luggage locks with us and lock up the computer and the safe key. We use the safe for money, medicine, any cameras or phones we're not bringing with us, small stuff.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #123
middlesista
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyparentsof2 View Post
Nope, nothing has ever been taken. We do use the safe to put cash and our wallets in (with credit cards, ID's, etc. in). But we have left out computers, cameras, and other expensive stuff and no one has touched it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Protect what you can and have fun!

As a side note, we also leave all kinds of stuff in the stroller at parks. Never had anything taken from there either. Knock on wood.
I am always amazed at the items that folks leave in their stollers. I read somewhere that some people leave a pseudo dirty diaper in the stroller "just in case."
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #124
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlesista View Post
I am always amazed at the items that folks leave in their stollers. I read somewhere that some people leave a pseudo dirty diaper in the stroller "just in case."
Which is such an old trick (think it was in the Unofficial Guide back in 2007 at least) that the thieves don't even care anymore.

I just can't understand how people leave valuables unattended. Either out in their rooms or in their strollers. I guess part of it is that I was raised in a family of police officers, but I would never do that. I take any precautions I can take.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #125
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlesista View Post
Yep, very old trick. A dirty diaper in a bag wont deter a criminal. Just stopping by the nearest trash can to dump it and off they go with the stroller of goodies
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #126
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
Which is such an old trick (think it was in the Unofficial Guide back in 2007 at least) that the thieves don't even care anymore.

I just can't understand how people leave valuables unattended. Either out in their rooms or in their strollers. I guess part of it is that I was raised in a family of police officers, but I would never do that. I take any precautions I can take.
I'm pretty sure that was in the UG the first time I read it....in 1991. I was eleven at the time and I thought it was a terrible idea then, too

Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #127
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by latexscooter View Post
I've even left mouse keeping tips before in cash and they haven't picked it up because it wasn't clear enough to them it was theirs. (I wrote a quick note with thank you for your help on a memo pad.)
This. I have ALWAYS been VERY impressed with how trustworthy Mousekeeping is.

The very first time we went to Disney, I left the tip on the table for the maids. There was nothing really else on the table so I just assumed that maids would know it was for them (as happens in any other hotel/motel I've ever stayed in). I felt so bad they were not taking the tip, and it was only until I wrote a DAILY note that they started taking the money. I found that so impressive.

And as for a PP who said the dime was put on the toilet, we've had the same experience. We weren't "testing" the maids as he was, but we'd find our random change they must've found on the floor somewhere placed nicely in a pile somewhere in the room.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #128
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

A few years ago there was a thread about a stolen iPhone. The writer's wife's iPhone was stolen out of her pool bag. He used the "find my iPhone" app, contacted security, and followed his wife's iPhone onto a launch which was met at the dock by security. The thief had quite a few electronics in his possession when he was caught.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #129
NicPie
Frozen 24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano
No never had anything stolen from room.

Moving to Resorts
Thank you! I realized after the fact that I didn't switch over before I made the thread.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #130
DharmaLou
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Yes totally get that law enforcement may need it but didn't understand why a "regular citizen" would feel it necessary to bring to Disney of all places.

But hey, I'm Canadian - we don't get a lot of people here carrying guns . Law enforcement & the "bad guys" are the exception to that!!
Add this to the reasons I love our Canadian neighbors!

It makes me nervous to know that there are people at WDW resorts that have guns in their room.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #131
Pandora5
Earning My Ears

We've been 16 times since 1996 and never had anything missing. Growing up we had 4 kids each trip, the youngest in 1996 was 6 years old, and, like most kids, we weren't very smart about what we left out over the years. From 3 or 4 camera, cell phones, purses, laptops, etc., never a problem. Over the years we have become a bit more paranoid. My fiance and I always use the safe for whatever will fit. The laptops and larger items we keep in out locked luggage.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #132
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
A few years ago there was a thread about a stolen iPhone. The writer's wife's iPhone was stolen out of her pool bag. He used the "find my iPhone" app, contacted security, and followed his wife's iPhone onto a launch which was met at the dock by security. The thief had quite a few electronics in his possession when he was caught.
I remember reading this thread, and it was great! As the thieves got off the ferry at the MK, security was there and arrested them!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #133
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

employee?.how do you know?......sorry this story seems a bit odd.

JMHO

AKK
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #134
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPie View Post
Thank you! I realized after the fact that I didn't switch over before I made the thread.
No problem , we are all here to help

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #135
1971DBday
Keep moving forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
Cl does not mean safer. Maids are maids and probably hate us cl lovers more.
I do not agree with your comment "maids are maids" in addition to the "probably hate us cl lovers more".

While I am not a maid I take your comment to be derogatory and presumptuous regarding a particular working class. Please remember the individuals that do wrong are the individuals, not a group, class, or race. Please don't group anyone.

As for the second quote, are your presuming that because you think you are richer then those staying non-CL or that you chose to spend your money different then others?

Overall, there are good and bad people in the world. I will not presume that it was that maid stole unless proven guilty, nor will I presume what kind of person you are based on your comments.

I will go back to hoping in a better humanity.
'79 1st trip (child); '95 Honeymoon WL; '98 GF; '02 Poly; Nov/Dec '06 CSR; Nov/Dec '07 CBR; Nov/Dec '08 CSR; Nov/Dec2009Poly; Nov/Dec2010Poly; Oct '11 Poly; June '12 Poly; June '13 BC; Planning June 2014 AKV as First Time DVC Owners

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: