Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #91
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz

Please take it PM... let's not get this thread shut down over something totally unrelated.

Thanks.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think either of us plan to take this spirited little conversation any further. I also don't think either of us crossed any lines or broke any rules so I am not sure why the need to intervene.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #92
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

We have never had anything very valuable taken, but we do use the safe. Whether or not that is just the appearance of safety rather than actually secure, I don't know.

I did have a new, expensive bottle of shampoo go missing after maid service. That experience changed two of our habits...

I now decant my expensive products into plain bottles. And, we have the do not disturb sign up 24 hours a day.

Although on our last trip to the Grand Californian we still got that obnoxious knock by the maid on our last morning, in the hope that they can service the room at the earliest possible moment.

I am seriously thinking of making my own door hanger, written in English and Spanish, that requests no knocking and no entry. The ones they use are reversible from DO NOT DISTURB to MAID SERVICE. Somehow, even though I check before going to sleep, they are always MAID SERVICE facing out on that last morning!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #93
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Peach View Post
We have never had anything very valuable taken, but we do use the safe. Whether or not that is just the appearance of safety rather than actually secure, I don't know.

I did have a new, expensive bottle of shampoo go missing after maid service. That experience changed two of our habits...

I now decant my expensive products into plain bottles. And, we have the do not disturb sign up 24 hours a day.

Although on our last trip to the Grand Californian we still got that obnoxious knock by the maid on our last morning, in the hope that they can service the room at the earliest possible moment.

I am seriously thinking of making my own door hanger, written in English and Spanish, that requests no knocking and no entry. The ones they use are reversible from DO NOT DISTURB to MAID SERVICE. Somehow, even though I check before going to sleep, they are always MAID SERVICE facing out on that last morning!
That's a really good idea! I use LUSH products for my hair which can get fairly expensive. I can always hide the solid shampoo but I'll have to put the liquid in a plain bottle when I go. Thanks for the idea

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

Old 01-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #94
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
That's a really good idea! I use LUSH products for my hair which can get fairly expensive. I can always hide the solid shampoo but I'll have to put the liquid in a plain bottle when I go. Thanks for the idea
You are so welcome!

Hair products can be embarrassingly expensive!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #95
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPie View Post
Has anyone ever had anything stolen from your hotel room while you were gone for the day?
When traveler checks were still popular, we had $500.00 stolen from our room. We looked all over our room, in the suitcases, draws, etc. and could not find them. We reported it to the front desk, and went to Epcot where we went into the American Express office and had them reissued. When we got back to our room that night, the checks were laying on top of our clothes, in plain site. Looks like someone in housekeeping got cold feet and returned them. TDBIASWS.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #96
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
You are so welcome!

Hair products can be embarrassingly expensive!
Very very true! It's the one thing I don't mind spending a little extra on though, especially if it lasts a while. My brother spends more on hair products than I do (and he's 16) so I don't feel quiet as bad.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #97
Kona65
Taking it slow and easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Yes totally get that law enforcement may need it but didn't understand why a "regular citizen" would feel it necessary to bring to Disney of all places. You have to get to Disney first. Locking your gun in the safe is better than leaving it in the car.

But hey, I'm Canadian - we don't get a lot of people here carrying guns . Law enforcement & the "bad guys" are the exception to that!!
Bad guys, another good reason to carry a gun.

TDBIASWS.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #98
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:

We do that too. We really don't need mousekeeping for our room. We tidy up after ourselves. I don't change our sheets daily at home and we don't need that done on vacation either.

When I see mousekeeping in the morning, I'll request fresh towels and such if we need them. I also tell them we don't need maid service. They look happy to take us off the list. Win-win.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

Old 01-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #99
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona65 View Post
Bad guys, another good reason to carry a gun.

TDBIASWS.
Anyone that has read accounts of what can happen to tourists that take a wrong turn, wouldn't question the need.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #100
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie

Anyone that has read accounts of what can happen to tourists that take a wrong turn, wouldn't question the need.
The movie Vacancy did it for me!
Old 01-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #101
ThreeBeans
Now with FOUR Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mouseketeersforus View Post
Sarcastic much?? Sheesh. No need to get all high horsey about it. We just don't honestly have people carrying guns around here. Unless they are hunting. So I was simply pointing out how surprised I was. No need to get all excited.
I'm American, and I'm shocked and a little frightened of people who think they need to carry a gun around outside of people who actually.....need to carry a gun around. Police officers. Secret Service. Maybe Mickey needs full time protections

Old 01-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #102
stindall
Congress Tart

let's move off of the topic of guns...

Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #103
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I've never had anything stolen while at Disney (stayed there 19 nights total).

Last weekend, my DH did an "experiment." I didn't know about it...I found a dime on top of the toilet. I asked him if it was his. He said yes, he had left it on the floor to see what the housekeeper would do with it.

I think, by and large, that most people are honest. There will be a bad seed every once in awhile, but that's the exception more than the rule.

We used the safe in the room to put some of our more expensive items in. There is a key on a key ring that you can just take with you. We put it on the key ring with our rental car key.

I think the good rule is just to use common sense. Keep valuables locked up/out of sight. I've never worried about my stuff being stolen. I figure, why stress myself out over something that has such a miniscule chance of happening?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #104
latexscooter
Be nice even if it takes some effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicPie
Has anyone ever had anything stolen from your hotel room while you were gone for the day?
No, but we usually take precautions like using the safe to reduce risk. I've even left mouse keeping tips before in cash and they haven't picked it up because it wasn't clear enough to them it was theirs. (I wrote a quick note with thank you for your help on a memo pad.) generally I like to give hotel staff the benefit of the doubt but I do my best not to be stupid and leave myself open to risk.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #105
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

edited by me because I changed my mind *====*==*

Last edited by Luvchefmic; 01-26-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: 2nd thoughts
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: