Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
ms.yt
DIS Veteran

San Francisco

`I'm going to be coming to San Francisco in April for a convention. I'll have three high school students with me, and we're planning on doing a bit of sightseeing while we're there. We know for sure we want to visit Alcatraz, the Golden Gate bridge and Chinatown. I have a few questions that I thought you might be able to help with.
1. Is it worth it to do the night tour of Alcatraz? I saw online that it's the preferred tour, but I thought it might be really hard to get good pictures at night.

2. How is the walking tour of the Golden Gate bridge? Part of me wants to do it, but part of me is really scared of the idea.

3. Would you recommend visiting Chinatown with a tour group or just wandering around on our own?

4. I've never had dim sum, and I'd love to try it while we're in Chinatown. What are some good places?

1973 - Off-site with family; 1988 - Off-site with sister; 1992 - Off-site with sister; 2003 - ASMu with son; 2004 - Off-site in Celebration with son; 2005 - Pop with son;
2008 - WL with husband and sons; 2009 - CSR with husband and sons; 2011 - Off-site with husband, kids and in-laws; 2012 - Off-site for a conference; 2014 - Off-site with husband, kids and in-laws.
ms.yt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
bamagirl@hrt
DIS Veteran

We did the night tour of Alcatraz on our family vacation in October, and we enjoyed it. It was spookier, said my 11 yr old son. It's really twilight as you approach the island by boat, so I got some good pics of the outside. While on the island, I got some really amazing pictures of San Francisco at night. They also have some extra demonstrations and talks at night that you don't get during the day. However, you can't explore the rest of the island when you go at night. So, it's a trade off.

Can't comment about the Golden Gate Bridge tour or wandering through Chinatown. We did a wonderful 1/2 day tour with Dylan's Tours that took us through all of the neighborhoods, across the bridge, and to Muir Woods redwood forest. It was wonderful! I highly recommend it if you have time.
bamagirl@hrt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

The night tour of Alcatraz is worth the extra money. They do extra little educational talks and stuff- my DH and I thought it was great!

We didn't do a walking tour of the Golden Gate, but when I was there before with my dad for a family reunion, we did a "cable car" tour that took us all over the place, and stopped a few times so we could get out. One of the places it stopped was the Golden Gate, so we were able to get off the trolley and walk around, under the bridge, and then across it- but not all the way. We didn't have time for that. But it was still good- good enough for us!

I have never been to Chinatown, so I can't comment on that.

I guess since you are with high school students, a wine tour is out. That was one of my favorite things when my DH and I went- a tour of Muir Woods and Sonoma. LOVED LOVED LOVED it!! It is BEAUTIFUL there!!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

We wander around Chinatown ourselves, even though we are close enough to just "drop in" it isn't something we regularly do, but when we do we just walk around Chinatown by ourselves. To be honest I haven't found a restaurant for Dim Sum that I would recommend, we are still trying to find that perfect place to go. We usually just see one that looks good and walk in, we've had some hits and some misses but nothing so horrible that we feel the need to remember where it was so we never go back. lol

We've walked across the bridge, it is scary for me if I look over the edge but just walking on the path isn't scary, we just park and self walk it.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

DD moved to SF in Nov...she hits Chinatown after work some times. She has not had Dim Sum tho, sorry, no help there! She is a fan of exploring on your own vs tour group, however....safety first. She sticks mainly to Jackson (her studio is on that street) and Hyde street is sort of a boundary for her, she stays east of it for the most part if on her own. She said co-workers say night tour for Alcatraz, walking tour of GG Bridge-take it or leave it. She suggest the Walt Disney museum, and you are right near GG park there. Also Lucas Films, take a tour!
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
krcit
DIS Veteran

Muir Woods is a must-see!!

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

We did the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz in one day. We rented bicycles at the pier/Fisherman's Wharf. We rode along the bay and stopped at the Walt Disney Family Museum. After that we continued on to the Golden Gate Bridge and rode over it. The bridge has a separate bike/pedestrian lane. We stopped for lunch in Sausalito(the city on the other side of the bridge). We then took our bicycles on the ferry, and it went across the bay and back to the pier where we originally rented the bicycles. We dropped the bikes off, and walked to the dock for the Alcatraz night tour(it's actually still light out when the tour begins).

Another area you might like is the Haight Ashbury neighborhood. There's some interesting landmarks/shopping/dining in that area.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary - December 2014 Pop Century

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Philagoofy
Guess my favorite dog!
You must accept dust. You must become friends with dust. You are one with dust.

If you're going to San Franscisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

sorry, I couldn't resist.
Philagoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
ILUVALASKA
DIS Veteran

Check out Yelp for restaurant recommendations

me:DHDS

CMU Tartan Family
ILUVALASKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philagoofy View Post
If you're going to San Franscisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

sorry, I couldn't resist.
He most definitely wrote a song that gets stuck in one's head. RIP Scott McKinzie
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Make sure to get your Alcatraz tix well ahead of time. I had read you could get them a week out, but they were totally sold out for the entire week we were there, three weeks out.

Muir Woods is a must do. We just drove over the Golden Gate Bridge a couple of times. We did ride the cable car and rode the ferry from Sausalito and back. We also visited Fort Mason (not much to see, but a good vantage point for the America's Cup Races) and Point Bonita Lighthouse. If you have time, I'd make the time to visit Sonoma and one of the wineries or, if you are like DH and I, a brewery.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
shortbun
Peacenik

Wok Wiz tours of Chinatown. The longest one ends in a good dimsum restaurant.
www.wokwiz.com

Yes, the night tour of Alcatraz is really cool but so many great things at night in SFO. Have never walked the bridge. Sounds fun/edgy.

Coit Tower at sunset is fun!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcit View Post
Muir Woods is a must-see!!
Hmm, I've been there and while it was enjoyable, I'd rather spend quality time IN San Francisco than taking that amt of time to get up to Muir. What about it puts Muir on your 'must see'?

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #14
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

They have the hop on/off buses. They will take you to the bridge, Haight Ashbury, the Painted Ladies.
I would definitely want to ride a cable car. Ghirridelli is up that way by the cable car stop. Boudin sour dough bread is a must.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Muir Woods is a must see....unless you've seen the giant redwoods before. Most people have never seen trees like you see in Muir Woods, and if you are one of those people, they are spectacular. If you don't like the out of doors, and are an urban only person, by all means, skip Muir Woods and let those of us who enjoy it have more space. (It's always pretty busy!).

I wouldn't eat Dim Sum anywhere on Grant Street. Those places are for tourists. Look for the places that are on the side streets off Grant, and preferably one that has a large number of Chinese people in it. Best yet....the menu is only in Chinese.

I'd never pay for a walking tour of the GGB. Park on one end or the other, and take a walk. It's very accessible. And, not scary. Really. Except for the traffic involved in getting there.

You might take a look at some of the museums in Golden Gate Park. I love the natural history museum and the De Young Museum. They are both excellent, and not terribly expensive.

Also, I always tell people to completely skip Fisherman's Wharf. What a tourist trap. People who ignore my advice generally come back and say "you were right!" It is no longer an operating wharf, and is just a collection of ticky tacky tourist shops. You can do better!
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: