Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
berryinDC
Earning My Ears

gluten-free and vegetarian (and romantic?)

My wife just discovered she has a gluten sensitivity last week. She's also a vegetarian. We're planning our second trip to WDW in May, for a anniversary/birthday trip. Because I'm a worrywart who wants everything to be great for her, I'm rethinking our ADRs and meals now that she'll need to be gluten free.

Does anyone have suggestions for a TS restaurant in DHS? We have an ADR at SciFi Dine-In, but after reviewing the menu and the pdf of options from Special Diets, I don't see much of anything for her to eat. Does anyone know if the vegetarian options at Brown Derby (Tofus and noodles), 50s Prime Time (spaghetti and meatballs), or Mama Melrose (flatbread, minestrone) can be made GF?

Here's our other restaurants plans, in case there are any red flags:
Sanaa
Raglan Road
Boma
Tusker House (lunch)
Jiko
BOG
San Angel Inn (considering moving to La Hacienda if that's more GF-friendly)
Rose and Crown

Also, if anyone has general suggestions on adjusting to a cooking/eating gluten free I would sure appreciate them!

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post these questions.

2013 AKL, 2010 POR, 1998 BWI, 1996 ASM, 1993 Swan
berryinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryinDC View Post
My wife just discovered she has a gluten sensitivity last week. She's also a vegetarian. We're planning our second trip to WDW in May, for a anniversary/birthday trip. Because I'm a worrywart who wants everything to be great for her, I'm rethinking our ADRs and meals now that she'll need to be gluten free.

Does anyone have suggestions for a TS restaurant in DHS? We have an ADR at SciFi Dine-In, but after reviewing the menu and the pdf of options from Special Diets, I don't see much of anything for her to eat. Does anyone know if the vegetarian options at Brown Derby (Tofus and noodles), 50s Prime Time (spaghetti and meatballs), or Mama Melrose (flatbread, minestrone) can be made GF?

Sanaa
Raglan Road
Boma
Tusker House (lunch)
Jiko
BOG
Rose and Crown

Also, if anyone has general suggestions on adjusting to a cooking/eating gluten free I would sure appreciate them!

Move San Angel to La Hacienda. Check my GF/Veg review- link in my siggie! ALSO, check out my regular blog, too- lots of recipes and videos over there.
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
berryinDC
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post
Move San Angel to La Hacienda. Check my GF/Veg review- link in my siggie! ALSO, check out my regular blog, too- lots of recipes and videos over there.
Thanks so much, your trip report was amazing! It's actually making me want to squeeze in Kona to our plans. And I cannot believe that meal at Chefs de France. My mouth dropped at that picture. Wow.

So, I was excited about the atmosphere of San Angel Inn, but it definitely sounds like the food is better at La Hacienda. I will choose good food every time.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

Quote:
Thanks so much, your trip report was amazing! It's actually making me want to squeeze in Kona to our plans. And I cannot believe that meal at Chefs de France. My mouth dropped at that picture. Wow.

So, I was excited about the atmosphere of San Angel Inn, but it definitely sounds like the food is better at La Hacienda. I will choose good food every time.

Yeah Chefs de France was HORRID. Unfortunitely, we're not the only GF folks who have had a bad experience there .

La Hacienda was AMAZING, and we're planning on going back in September! We've been to San Angel Inn a couple of times, but never as GF diners. We actually didn't love the food when we ordered it as-is off the menu, even though the atmosphere is awesome. I agree, we choose good food, too! For our next trip, we're planning on:

Breakfast at The Wave (giving it another try....)
Dinner at La Hacienda, Whispering Canyon (not romantic at ALL...), Sanaa (they have a GF menu!, so does Jiko- these are both good choices for you, too).

We're no longer vegetarian as we now follow a mostly "Paleo" type diet, but we've had a lot of success as Vegetarians, and GF Vegetarians in the past. Be sure to stop by Babycakes at Downtown Disney- all of their products are gluten free and vegan. And YUMMY.
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Brenle
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sanaa
Raglan Road
Boma
Tusker House (lunch)
Jiko
BOG
Rose and Crown

Sci-Fi did not have many choices for GF when we were there this past November. They did have a GF roll, though, so my daughter ended up having a burger. We have food allergies as well and have found all restaurants in Disney to be very accommodating to our needs. The chef always comes to the table to speak with us. Very reassuring.

From experience, having a gluten sensitivity can be overwhelming when first diagnosed. General suggestions about cooking GF: You can substitute pasta with quinoa. It's actually very tasty and very good for you. However, there are GF pastas available as well.

When you're in your local market ask where the GF section is. You'll be surprised, but they probably have one, you just haven't noticed because you didn't need it before.

Whole foods stores are a great source for GF products, too.

By the way, May is a beautiful time to be in Disney!! My favorite month to go.
Brenle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
berryinDC
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance!

I've switched sci fi for mama melrose, since they have gf pasta...and hopped over to la hacienda. Corn tortillas, yum!

I'm feeling much less anxious about the trip. Thanks again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: