Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

Magic Band? Give me some info...

Ok - what is the Magic Band? Does it replace the KTTW? Don't tell me I have to wear a darn bracelet the entire vacation?!

Anyone know when this new practice begins?
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatgirl
Ok - what is the Magic Band? Does it replace the KTTW? Don't tell me I have to wear a darn bracelet the entire vacation?!

Anyone know when this new practice begins?
Many active threads already discussing this.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatgirl View Post
Don't tell me I have to wear a darn bracelet the entire vacation?!
DH keeps saying the same thing!

MinnieGirl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

The best one got locked I wonder if we can get it re-opened after things have cooled down...

The 5 cent tour:

- MagicBands will be free to all resort guests, and take the place of the KTTW card. It will be your room key, room charge, photopass and ticket media all in one. Non-resort guests will be able to purchase one.
- MagicBands are a removable bracelet that contains an RFID chip and a transmitter.
- MBs (and RFID-enabled tickets) will allow for the use of FastPass+.
- You are not required to wear the MB, but you will need to be able to present it when needed.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
The best one got locked I wonder if we can get it re-opened after things have cooled down...

The 5 cent tour:

- MagicBands will be free to all resort guests, and take the place of the KTTW card. It will be your room key, room charge, photopass and ticket media all in one. Non-resort guests will be able to purchase one.
- MagicBands are a removable bracelet that contains an RFID chip and a transmitter.
- You are not required to wear the MB, but you will need to be able to present it when needed.
Yep. Beward of trolls who just look for arguments.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

The thing is that no one really knows how it is going to work. There has been tons of guessing (some educated, some a shot in the dark), speculation, predictions of disaster, illegal use of surveillance, doom and gloom and much more. All of it without the slightest idea what the total plan is and how it is going to work.

My advice, for what it is worth, is wait until it actually becomes reality and then you will know what it's all about. It could be the best thing since the invention of the wheel or, as some have stated, the reincarnation of Hitlers Germany. I suspect it will have some positive attributes and a some negative but it will not be the end of the world as we know it.

As human beings we are all slightly concerned about change in any form. It's just natural, but we live in the 21st century now. Good or bad, we cannot turn back the clock without putting ourselves at a disadvantage. Let's see what it does and then we can have a real, intelligent discussion about it. JMHO!
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

So just for resort guests? Anyone know if the regular fast pass will survive or not, or is that still up in the air as well?
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanic View Post
The thing is that no one really knows how it is going to work. There has been tons of guessing (some educated, some a shot in the dark), speculation, predictions of disaster, illegal use of surveillance, doom and gloom and much more. All of it without the slightest idea what the total plan is and how it is going to work.
We know quite a bit on how it's going to work. Disney has already told us.

There are still a lot of things we don't know, but I didn't list those.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
So just for resort guests? Anyone know if the regular fast pass will survive or not, or is that still up in the air as well?
Quote:
MagicBands will be free to all resort guests, and take the place of the KTTW card. It will be your room key, room charge, photopass and ticket media all in one. Non-resort guests will be able to purchase one.
If I'm understanding correctly, you'll be able to use either the regular fast pass or fast pass +, but not both. I could be wrong, though.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
If I'm understanding correctly, you'll be able to use either the regular fast pass or fast pass +, but not both. I could be wrong, though.
This is true. Once you are converted to use MagicBand, you will not be able to use the regular Fastpass system any longer but it is necessary to use FastPass+. How as a resort guest you can opt out of that part to use the old Fastpass system, I'm not sure yet.

And that's for as long as regular FP still exists. Bets are in favor of it being phased out as soon as all guests have access to FP+.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom
Not just for resort guests. Resort guests, AP holders, and photo package purchasers will be given one for 'free'. All other guests will have RFID-enabled tickets and can purchase a magic band.

FPs, as they currently exist, are unlikely to survive the transition because the new ticket media/magic bands will not work with the current machines.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
tophatgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The 5 cent tour:

Glad to know I won't be stuck wearing it the whole time!
Family trip 2011 - POP
Family trip 2013 - All Stars Movies
tophatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren

During the transition, you appear to be correct. However, we don't know how long that transition will be or how FP+ assignments will effect the amount of FPs that will be available.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

This is true. Once you are converted to use MagicBand, you will not be able to use the regular Fastpass system any longer but it is necessary to use FastPass+. How as a resort guest you can opt out of that part to use the old Fastpass system, I'm not sure yet.
you merely wouldn't enter your ticket into your profile. The real question is whether package purchasers will be able to avoid having the tickets linked to their profile. I suspect that the transition will be rapid enough that it won't matter for most guests.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

So, anyone know when this is happening? We're going in July and staying offsite. I don't want to have to buy the FP privilege like I would at Universal. I don't mind giving resort guests an extra privilege, but I hope they will allow other guests to also have the opportunity not to have to stand in lines all day. I guess we will wait and buy our tickets closer to our vacation. We might just cut out our 3 days at Disney and try some other attractions before we do Universal.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: