Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent View Post
Unfortunatley I don't think so. Of course the media isn't going to raise panic but it really is a valid concern.
Well, as someone in the media, I can tell you we get bombarded with studies that conflict with each other. I can't tell you how many "could lead to a cure for cancer" studies I have seen in 38 years.

I did a story on smoke detectors......focusing on how you should replace them every 10 years.....and some of mine were 30 years old.....and I replace them and noticed the radiation warning on them, and that they are hazardous material and should be disposed of properly, not just thrown in the trash.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
Only if a US company stands to make or lose a lot of money. Like the flu "epidemic" panic = selling more vaccines for the drug maker.

Now, if GE is held liable for faulty safety practices in their Japan plant, well, they stand to go out of business. Our government will make darn sure that doesnt' happen.

To no one in particular: Okay, back to your normally scheduled, mindless distractions like MtV reality and Disney World dreaming. Sorry to have interrupted with this inconvenient post.

For anyone who cares, here is the article pasted below. It does mention Disneyland, so it might be of mild interest.

---

California Slammed With ***ushima Radiation
Posted on March 30, 2012 by WashingtonsBlog
***ushima Radiation Plume Hit Southern and Central California

The Journal Environmental Science and Technology reports in a new study that the ***ushima radiation plume contacted North America at California with greatest exposure in central and southern California, and that Southern Californias seaweed tested over 500% higher for radioactive iodine-131 than anywhere else in the U.S. and Canada:

Projected paths of the radioactive atmospheric plume emanating from the ***ushima reactors, best described as airborne particles or aerosols for 131I, 137Cs, and 35S, and subsequent atmospheric monitoring showed it coming in contact with the North American continent at California, with greatest exposure in central and southern California. Government monitoring sites in Anaheim (southern California) recorded peak airborne concentrations of 131I at 1.9 pCi m3

Anaheim is where Disneyland is located.

EneNews summarizes the data:

Corona Del Mar (Highest in Southern California)

2.5 Bq/gdwt (gram dry weight)= 2,500 Bq/kg of dry seaweed
Santa Cruz (Highest in Central California)

2.0 Bq/gdwt = 2,000 Bq/kg of dry seaweed
Simon Fraser University in Canada also tested North American seaweed after ***ushima:

In samples of dehydrated seaweed taken on March 15 near the North Vancouver SeaBus terminal, the count was zero; on March 22 it was 310 Bq per kilogram; and by March 28 it was 380 Bq/kg. -Vancouver Sun
Seaweed in Seattle also tested positive for iodine-131; levels were not reported -KIRO
No results after March 28 were reported
In addition, radioactive debris is starting to wash up on the Pacific Coast. And because the Japanese are burning radioactive materials instead of disposing of them, radioactive rain-outs will continue for some time & even on the Pacific Coast.

Of course, the government is doing everything it can to help citizens cover up whats occurring. We pointed out in January:

Instead of doing much to try to protect their citizens from ***ushima, Japan, the U.S. and the EU all just raised the radiation levels they deem safe.

Nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen says that high-level friends in the State Department told him that Hillary Clinton signed a pact with her counterpart in Japan agreeing that the U.S. will continue buying seafood from Japan, despite that food not being tested for radioactive materials [see this].

And the Department of Energy is trying to replace the scientifically accepted model of the dangers of low dose radiation based on voodoo science. Specifically, DOEs Lawrence Berkeley Labs used a mutant line of human cells in a petri dish which was able to repair damage from low doses of radiation, and extrapolated to the unsupported conclusion that everyone is immune to low doses of radiation&.

Indeed:

American and Canadian authorities have virtually stopped monitoring airborne radiation, and are not testing fish for radiation. (Indeed, the EPA reacted to ***ushima by raising acceptable radiation levels.)

So as in Japan radiation is usually discovered by citizens and the handful of research scientists with funding to check, and not the government. See this, this, this, this, this and this.

The Japanese governments entire strategy from day one has been to cover up the severity of the ***ushima accident. This has likely led to unnecessary, additional deaths.

Indeed, the core problem is that all of the worlds nuclear agencies are wholly captured by the nuclear industry & as are virtually all of the supposedly independent health agencies.

So the failure of the American, Canadian and other governments to test for and share results is making it difficult to hold an open scientific debate about what is happening.

And its not just radiation from Japan. An effort by the Southern California Edison power company to secretly ramp up production to avoid public disclosure may have led to a leak at the San Onofre nuclear power plant.
Thank-you. I had a ton of information about the Japanese nuclear problem
( dis ***** out the name) on my crashed laptop.
None of it was good.
If people want to live in lala land and think that none of the radiation affected our food crops and livestock, more power to them. Researchers are expecting cancer rates to increase though, especially in the western states.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Nope. not concerned at all.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
None of it was good.
If people want to live in lala land and think that none of the radiation affected our food crops and livestock, more power to them. Researchers are expecting cancer rates to increase though, especially in the western states.
Yes, this means everyone should expect more cancer panic posts on these forums in the coming years, also. Unfortunately.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

OP, you would get along great with the poster that once started a thread about their concern over river levels rising a fraction of an inch every 300 years or something.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

What good does worrying about it do?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

Nope but I am allergic to fish, so not eating that. Also I already had thyroid cancer. That would theoretically be the first effected organ and I don't have one. Also I live in the Midwest, I'll let the Californians with the good weather act as my radiation buffer.

To all my friends in California I ask you to coordinate a date breath deep and blow the radiation back
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #23
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Perhaps we need one of these to protect us from the radiation-
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...V_Suit_HL2.jpg

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly
Perhaps we need one of these to protect us from the radiation-
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...V_Suit_HL2.jpg
Nice, I want one in pink
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Nothing I can do about it.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

You think this is bad, did you know that the moon is moving away from the earth at a rate of 3.78cm (1.48in) per year?! That's about as fast as your fingernails grow!

While 3.78cm may not seem like much, this small difference over a long enough period of time could affect life on Earth, making the planet slow down. This slowing down may cause our planet to start to slowly wobble and this will have a devastating effect on our seasons.

We have the seasons we currently do, due to the Earth's tilt at an angle of 23 degrees on its axis.

During summer the Northern Hemisphere is tilted towards the Sun so we get longer days and warmer weather. However in winter the Northern Hemisphere is tilted away from the Sun giving us shorter days and cooler weather.

If this were to change, and the Earth became unstable, then parts of the world could experience much greater temperature swings than we are used to through any given year, with freezing Arctic temperatures in winter followed by blazing hot temperatures in summer.

Now, humans will likely use technology to adapt, but most animals are not so adaptable and if these changes happened rapidly due to an unstable planetary wobble, then most animals would not be able to evolve quickly enough to hibernate or migrate out of harm's way. Rapid shifts in temperature may also drastically impact plant life, which will directly impact us.

In short, we're all doomed.

(By all predictions we only have a few billion years left!)

I just thought I'd add in something else for everyone to worry about.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
What good does worrying about it do?
That's what I want to know. Ok, cancer is going to increase because our food supply is contaminated by radiation....how do we get rid of the contamination? IS there a way? Do we not eat? It's kind of a catch-22, we are pretty much out of luck either way.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I think concerned is a good word. I don't worry every day about it, but I like to be aware of it. I enjoy having information. I'm not sure what we can do about it - probably not a whole lot. Google Rocky Flats sometime - I think we probably still deal with radiation from that too - but what can we do? I am way more concerned about radiation than I am about global warming.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi

None of it was good.
Actually, the far more likely source for an increase in cancer is from GMO foods and at least that is something we CAN do something to combat.

I am not saying that there will be no negative affects of the radiation, but that there's not a lot that we can do to change that, so why worry about what we can't change, let's focus on what we can.

Again, GMOs in our food supply are far more dangerous.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
ford family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Actually, the far more likely source for an increase in cancer is from GMO foods and at least that is something we CAN do something to combat.

I am not saying that there will be no negative affects of the radiation, but that there's not a lot that we can do to change that, so why worry about what we can't change, let's focus on what we can.

Again, GMOs in our food supply are far more dangerous.
In your opinion, to which you are perfectly entitled to hold and to which I am similarly entitled to chuckle.

As to the radiation "scare", those concerned should look at the actual effects on Western Europe of the Chernobyl disaster. The huge disparity between the impact on people living close to the accident and those of us living at distance should be noted.

ford family
ford family is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: