DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
JamboJustin
Earning My Ears

Disney Cruise: 202 points or $4,000?

Hi All,

One thing that I've read is that you are better off renting your points and paying for a cruise in cash. But my wife and I were just pricing out a cruise in February 2014 and something does not seem right. A deluxe stateroom with verandah costs 202 or so points. But the cash prices start at $4,000.

Can someone please explain the discrepancy?

2012, April, BCV
2012, April, Disney Dream
2012 December, SSR

2013, August, AKV!!!
JamboJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboJustin View Post
Hi All,

One thing that I've read is that you are better off renting your points and paying for a cruise in cash. But my wife and I were just pricing out a cruise in February 2014 and something does not seem right. A deluxe stateroom with verandah costs 202 or so points. But the cash prices start at $4,000.

Could that be per person?

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

I believe it. My wife and i did a 4 night bahamian cruise last aug. Price 220 points.plus $95. If we had paid cash 3250.00,plus they upgraded us a week before the sailing via a phone call. That was a treat.!!
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Hi All,

It's 202 points per person. You could save $444 by renting and paying cash, plus no $95 fee.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
heynowirv
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All,

Feb. what? how many nights and where was it going?
heynowirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
JamboJustin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
Could that be per person?
I'm pretty sure it isn't. here is the point chart for a 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. It is pretty clear that it is for the stateroom. There is an additional charge for the 3rd adult or 3rd child in the room, so 2 adults and 2 children are covered.

2012, April, BCV
2012 December, SSR

2013, August, AKV!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

It would be 202 points for each adult. Each child would then be a separate additional cost. So just the adults would be 404 points.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it isn't. here is the point chart for a 7 day cruise on the Fantasy. It is pretty clear that it is for the stateroom. There is an additional charge for the 3rd adult or 3rd child in the room, so 2 adults and 2 children are covered.
You need to read the fine print, it's per person.

"Reservation points are per person, based on double occupancy and apply to 1st and 2nd passenger. Ranges shown reflect the amount of reservation points required by stateroom category. Stateroom options, based on category and/or location, require higher reservation point amounts. General terms and conditions of this program are in the Member Benefits Guide in the “Member Benefits & Privileges” section. Please review them carefully before booking any of these travel options. Program terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. Members should contact Member Services about other stateroom options offered and possible additional surcharges".

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
JamboJustin
Earning My Ears

Hi DisneyNutz, I did read the disclaimer, but it also says it's based on double occupancy - two adults. Moreover, the disclaimer does not list children, but there is a separate charge for a 3rd or 4th child, which suggests that the first two kids are included.

2012, April, BCV
2012 December, SSR

2013, August, AKV!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboJustin
Hi DisneyNutz, I did read the disclaimer, but it also says it's based on double occupancy - two adults. Moreover, the disclaimer does not list children, but there is a separate charge for a 3rd or 4th child, which suggests that the first two kids are included.
All of the points listed in the top section are for the 1st and 2nd person. Adult or kid doesn't matter there. All of the points in the bottom section are for the 3rd and 4th person. That's where you get a slight break for the kids points. ALL points are per person.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
JamboJustin
Earning My Ears

Ok, I guess I was misreading it.

Cruises are expensive whether you pay cash or use points!

2012, April, BCV
2012 December, SSR

2013, August, AKV!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, I guess I was misreading it.

Cruises are expensive whether you pay cash or use points!
Generally you get a return in the $6-7 a point range compared to cash, assuming you're comparing apples to apples (same EXACT category), that's not a bad return at just over $9.50 pp. The other issues include that if any portion is cash, it'll be higher according than the cash price you're seeing and you have to pay it all up front. Also, if you have to change, there's another $95 fee even for minor changes. If you have to cancel, the points are no longer DVC points but rather reservation points and can only be used for cash type exchanges plus they expire the end of that UY. Just proceed carefully if you decide to.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
If you a a single person staying in that same stateroom, your point requirement will be a whole lot more. Almost double of what they post for double occupancy. That just means that is the price for each person for two people in the stateroom.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #14
JamboJustin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Generally you get a return in the $6-7 a point range compared to cash, assuming you're comparing apples to apples (same EXACT category), that's not a bad return at just over $9.50 pp.
I just went through the rental process and it was easy, so I don't mind doing it again. But I initially priced the cruise in cash assuming I'd rent points and got sticker shock!

I guess we'll stick with the parks! That's a lot cheaper than cruising, particularly with a couple pool days, which are often my favorite days!

2012, April, BCV
2012 December, SSR

2013, August, AKV!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just went through the rental process and it was easy, so I don't mind doing it again. But I initially priced the cruise in cash assuming I'd rent points and got sticker shock!

I guess we'll stick with the parks! That's a lot cheaper than cruising, particularly with a couple pool days, which are often my favorite days!
There are other cruise options besides DCL that are a fair amount cheaper. Some are very equal to DCL in most ways, it simply becomes personal preference.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: