Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
GJM
DIS Veteran

Outer Banks, NC

DH & I are thinking of taking a weekend getaway to the Outer Banks - we have never been. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to stay, Hotel or B&B - we probably won't go until it gets a little warmer.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
laurajetter
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy thinks my Chocolate Lab Hershey is a cutie!
WHAT IS THE STUPID DEAL WITH THESE BANANAS?

My family is going to the Outer Banks too! I've never been but DH went with his family when he was in high school. About a month ago we decided on a rental house in Kitty Hawk which we fell in love with. It seems from what I've read in travel books and online that although there are hotels in the area it is more common for people to rent cottages. I did come across a lot of B&B's too but since we were looking for a house I didn't pay too much attention to them.

Check out outerbanks.org for some great info to get started. I also checked out the Insiders' Guide North Carolina's Outer Banks from the library... tons of helpful info! I will say when we first found the house we're renting there were several summer weeks available but by the time we inquired and sent them the deposit all the summer weeks had filled up. I read that you should book early to have the best choices available to you.

There seem to be so many fun things to do... hope you have a great time!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
low-key
DIS Veteran

my sister goes all the time, she loves
Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

I was born and raised in NC and have never been to the Outer Banks. It's on my "to do" list. And soon! My dad often went to the area to fish and much preferred it to the southern coastal areas of both the Carolinas. Anxious to read all the replies you get.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepcot View Post
I was born and raised in NC and have never been to the Outer Banks.

anit it funny, that the big tourist attractions in the area you live you often never been
Old 01-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
MomNeedsVacay
was my mom just weird?

The OBX has different parts and a different "feel" depending on the part you are staying in.. I'm a Corolla or Duck gal myself; which is further North---they have a few grocery stores, a handful of nice beach stores and restaurants... I'm not a fan of Nags Head and Kitty Hawk as much because there are too many cheesy bars, stores and restaurants for my taste--and its more crowded. You will have an assortment of hotels to choose from there. Then you have the beaches further South; SAlvo, Waves, Hatteras, Rodanthe... tHey are the quietest beaches ...some are a 1/2 hour drive to the nearest grocery store etc... I've never stayed there, but I've heard good things.
DD 7 -
DS- 4
I've been pickled! Thanks!
MomNeedsVacay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
laurajetter
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy thinks my Chocolate Lab Hershey is a cutie!
WHAT IS THE STUPID DEAL WITH THESE BANANAS?

Not sure if this link will work, but here goes: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2983191

It's a thread about the Outer Banks I subscribed to back in August. I know you're specifically looking for info about hotels/B&Bs but it has a lot of good info in general so I figured I'd share it.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
DH & I are thinking of taking a weekend getaway to the Outer Banks - we have never been. Does anyone have any suggestions on places to stay, Hotel or B&B - we probably won't go until it gets a little warmer.
Naggs Head, NC is beautiful. My ds & family live there. His FIL rents two places he built and owns there. One is a B & B and the other is a weekly rental I think. Both of them are on the Beach Road with the Ocean view. We have stayed there and they are great. It's Sandbar Bed & Breakfast Nags Head, NC on the web. The phone # is 252-489-0486.

These are beautiful, well cared for places, and no, I am not affiliated in any way - just happen to know them and have stayed there.

Beautiful pictures at Sandbar Bed & Breakfast Nags Head, NC.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
GJM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
anit it funny, that the big tourist attractions in the area you live you often never been
How true is this - I have lived my whole life about 15 miles outside of NYC and have never been to the Statue of Liberty - I guess I thought it was always there and could go when I want, now we live in SC.

Thank you for info. I will start researching, just looking for a quick getaway not too far from home.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
ccstrickler
livin' on the OBX

The Nags Head Beach Inn is good. Husband and wife team. She is also the Culinary Arts teacher at the school. Check "the bed and breakfastdirectory.com" as well. Do wait til the weather is warmer. It's 36 degrees right now. We had snow the other day! Also, a lot of the local restaurants don't open until just before Easter. Some stay open year round--Make Mikes, Bad Bean, Thai Room. Hope you enjoy your visit.
ccstrickler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: