Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Rayvn
Mouseketeer

Question Combining Birthdays

Liam will be turning 3yo on 9/1. His brother, Ryan, will be turning 6yo on 9/28. I never wanted to combine birthdays, but with my husband's schedule this year, it would be best to do so. The same people will come to both parties.

Ryan has Autism with SPD and goes to a special class in our local elementary school. His friends from his class also belong to our local Autism support group and they all know Liam also. Family is Family to both kids. I think it is the smart thing to do.

I want to hold the big party on Ryan's actual birthday of 9/28, since it is a Saturday. We will have small immediate family birthdays for each kid.

Ryan and Liam watch Disney, Sprout, and Nick Jr. They like the iPad, being outside, swimming pools, jumpy houses, and bubbles.

I like planning around a theme and color scheme to tie it all together.

In the beginning, Ryan hated his new brother and now he tolerates him. Liam misses his brother while he is at school and always wants to be like Ryan.

Any suggestions on colors or themes?

Leslie
Old 01-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I don't know, but let me say that I've had a combined birthday all my life (my brother's birthday is 8 days from mine) and I hate it so, so much. Even still as an adult, but I really, really hated it as a kid. If I could have my parents do anything over again, it would be to separate our birthdays. (And my brother feels the same way.)
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

one combined party wont hurt your kids. How about picking a show (or two) that they like (mabey both like) and pulling colors from that? Like for example, kipper. You could do brown (kipper and his basket) grey for his dog freind, pink for the pig... You could even do like an animal theme with kipper.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

My brother and I are 2 years and 2 days apart. I hated having combined birthdays with him. It's nice that you don't usually do them together every year, like my family did. It's not "your special day" when you have to share it with someone else.

Ask your boys what colors/theme they would like. I always let my DS pick his out.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Rayvn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
I don't know, but let me say that I've had a combined birthday all my life (my brother's birthday is 8 days from mine) and I hate it so, so much. Even still as an adult, but I really, really hated it as a kid. If I could have my parents do anything over again, it would be to separate our birthdays. (And my brother feels the same way.)
I understand this. I will only do this once and they have the same friends and family.

Leslie
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Rayvn
Mouseketeer

Their fave shows that they share are Fresh Beat Band, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, and Special Agent Oso.

Leslie

Last edited by Rayvn; 01-26-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Rayvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I would let each pick a theme, even if they dont match its ok. Then do two smaller cakes instead of one big one so each gets his own cake to blow out candles . Just try to make each feel special and you'll be fine. We all have close birthdays in our house so at times we have had to do a joint party , it will be fine
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I agree with the poster just above me. A joint birthday now and then will not hurt. I have 4 kids and have combined 2 of them many times.

Looks like you are in NW Florida. Late September should be beautiful weather for an outside party. I would go outside!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
mkymouse1928
This driving me nuts
Thanks everyone! I'm having a great day!

Myself and my 2 younger brothers have birthdays within a 20 day time span. My mom often did one big combined family party (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc), but then made sure each of our individual birthdays were special. She would make our favorite meal, or we would go out to dinner to the birthday person's favorite restaurant, and then a personalized birthday cake. I never minded it, and I don't think my brothers did either. I always felt bad for my sister because she was the odd man out with her birthday being at a totally different time of year!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

When my son was younger, he went to school with a set of triplets (2 boys, 1 girl). They let each child pick his/her own theme (cake, plates/cups), even though the party was combined.

For instance, they held the party at a bouncy-house place, and all the friends were invited. But child #1 had a My Little Pony cake and plates; child #2 had a Lego cake and plates; Child #3 had a superhero cake and plates. After the candles were blown, the parents served the cakes, with each guest getting to choose his favorite (they were often different flavors, depending on the kids' choice.) It also wasn't unusual for the kids to take a tiny sliver of each, which they thought was a HUGE treat.

The party didn't come across as "well themed" but it was nice that each kid got to choose his own stuff... and if the kids have fun, that's really what it's all about, right?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

My younger two are almost exactly 2 yrs apart and we did have some joint parties when they were preschool ages. As Christian is so developmentally delayed, it really wasn't realistic to keep having their parties together. So, rather than have one big party, I set aside a weekend and gave the parties.on consecutive days. I just put up some balloons and streamers, bought party plates for two different themes, and got each one a small cake. DD had her friends over on Sat, Christian had his (few) friends over Sun afternoon.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Rayvn
Mouseketeer

My 5yo has no concept of birthdays. He likes presents. The 2yo likes presents also. Neither one asks about their birthday.

My 5yo says, "I want Party!" A party to him is time at a jump house. The last birthday party we went to was at a jumpy place, so party = jumpy place.

Thanks for opinions and help.
I never shared birthdays as a kid. My closest sibling in 12 years older than me.

Ryan's party themes -
1st b-day - Turtles
2nd - Elmo
3rd - Mickey
4th - Backyardigans
5th - Colors and Shapes

Liam's themes -
1st b-day - blue blocks
2nd - Winnie the Pooh

Leslie
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvn View Post
My 5yo has no concept of birthdays. He likes presents. The 2yo likes presents also. Neither one asks about their birthday.

My 5yo says, "I want Party!" A party to him is time at a jump house. The last birthday party we went to was at a jumpy place, so party = jumpy place.

Thanks for opinions and help.
I never shared birthdays as a kid. My closest sibling in 12 years older than me.

Ryan's party themes -
1st b-day - Turtles
2nd - Elmo
3rd - Mickey
4th - Backyardigans
5th - Colors and Shapes

Liam's themes -
1st b-day - blue blocks
2nd - Winnie the Pooh

Leslie
If I were the mom, I would think about my kids and what they like and are able to do. So looking at what you have given us, I would say rent a bouncy jumpy thing for the backyard and invite friends and family over with generic "Happy Birthday" themed plates, cups, decos and cake.

But then again, I am a keep it as simple as possible kind of gal.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I think it's quite ambitious that you already have a date picked out 9 months in advance for a kids party. I usually wait until a few weeks before the birthday

I think one or two combined parties will not ruin their chihood birthday memories. It will be fine, especially since they are so young.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombrontrent
I think it's quite ambitious that you already have a date picked out 9 months in advance for a kids party. I usually wait until a few weeks before the birthday

I think one or two combined parties will not ruin their chihood birthday memories. It will be fine, especially since they are so young.
I didn't notice that your right, we have both dd bday in feb and I still have no set plans !! Lol now I feel like a slacker
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: