Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Ipad

Just thinking about all the research and planning I need to do for our Disney trip in August and I think an IPad is the way forward, I just need to persuade DBF. Surely an IPad would be great to actually take with us too. Do any of you take an iPad with you and what do you use it for while you're there? I need some ammunition to persuade him lol
Claire Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
orangetiggs
Married my sweetheart in DISNEY!!!!!

Always take mine :-) live on it here and love it there, we use it to keep in touchwith family back home with facetime, and to surf internet on downtime

We load it with movies and games for the girls as well
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Is it free to use FaceTime? I've never used it, just thinking I could leave my iPhone with my mum and then I could speak to her as I call her everyday here because she's on her own.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
luke
Señor Mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Bear
Is it free to use FaceTime? I've never used it, just thinking I could leave my iPhone with my mum and then I could speak to her as I call her everyday here because she's on her own.
Over wifi it is indeed 'free'

Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Oh that's good to know. Thank you
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Vixster
DIS Veteran

I used mine to FaceTime my mum free from magic kingdom and let her watch some shows and parades in England as she isn't able to travel now and she loves disney
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Wow, my mum would love that! Didn't realise there is wifi in the parks. I've been searching these threads all night and I'm feeling so excited. Not sure I'll be able to sleep with all this whirling round my head!
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Ooh just thought, what do you do with your iPad or other valuables when you go on rides, are there lockers to hire or something?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

I got an iPad at Christmas - one of the main reasons was to bring it with me when I travel. I got an accessory that will allow me to upload photos from an SD card direct to my iPad which will be very handy and allow me to back up my pics at the end of each day!

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Disneyland Resort California - April 2013
izzie-wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Bear View Post
Ooh just thought, what do you do with your iPad or other valuables when you go on rides, are there lockers to hire or something?
Get a skin for it, toss it in your backpack and let it ride with you. You can rent lockers for $12 a day at the parks but do you really want to have to run back to the lockers at the park entrance before and after each ride?

I take a DSLR with me and usually have it in my hand on almost all rides, with the exception of Kali river Rapids and RnR. It will be fine

And a sneaky add-on at Bay Lake Tower
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

At home I tend to use my i phone or lap top. But at Disney my i pad is my friend! There is now free Wi Fi in all Disney parks and hotels. It was only in MK and hotels our last trip and came on in Epcot part way through that trip but in the hotel it was fab. My DS (then 13) could hook up with his friends daily for free on FB etc and we put some films on it for the kids too and DD enjoyed playing apps. I could not be hassled travelling with a lap top but the i pad is ideal. I don't take it into the parks though. We all have i phones and used them in MK last trip and look forward to using them in all the parks this year.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys. I'm always a bit scared of using our iPhones when we're away in case I do something wrong and get charged loads but I guess I should just do some research and then that would not be an issue.
I didn't realise you could take backpacks on rides. There are so many things to think about when planning a Disney trip. My list of questions is getting longer but I'm finding out a lot if answers on here and some great tips.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
scoobydooby

Just turn off data roaming.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
Claire Bear
Mouseketeer

I think if I get an iPad I'll leave my iPhone with my Mum and use DBF's iPhone in the parks then and leave iPad in the hotel. Can you get queue times etc through any apps in the parks?
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
scoobydooby

Yep! There is now the official Disney one, called My Disney Experience and a number of unofficial ones. I like the Lines app best (linked to touringplans.com which is the website linked to The Unofficial Guide to WDW book). The podcast which is associated to these is WDW Today. Three times a week. Again, one of many Disney pod casts, the DIS has one too!

Happy planning immersion!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: