Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Yes, my sister thought I was too young and she let me know it, lol. I was 22 and I WAS too young but we've been married for 25 years this past August.

My FIL came to me before I went down the aisle and told me if I had any doubts that could back out and he would handle telling everyone. I think he was afraid of having another child's marriage end in divorce. We'd had a roller coaster courtship so I do not blame him. He loved me like I was his own though--it wasn't that he did not like me. (Thank God or I probably would not have married!)

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
penn19
DIS Veteran

We both were. His side thought he was too young (23) and had his life before him and I guess I was out to screw all that up. On my side it was because they felt I could do better.....

Anyway, 20 some years later, still married.
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

My MIL, due to religious differences. She even called the pastor that was performing the ceremony to express her 'concerns'. I was not pleased.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

DH was 21 and I was 20 when we married.

His mother warned us that we were too young. My parents knew better than to say anything.

His mother also told us that we would have a lot of kids because DH and I are both the oldest of 4.

Funny, MIL has been divorced twice and is not married. But DH and I have been married for over 17 years. AND we only have 1 kid!

In the end, the wonderful thing is that YOU make decisions for yourself. People can give what they feel is good advice, but nobody knows you better than yourself.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

Nope! We had then opposite problem. We got together at 17, got engaged at 24, and finally married at 26 (almost 27). So a ten year courtship. I was royally sick of the slightly demeaning "Don't you want to get married and start a family" questions. When we finally did get engaged there was also very little in the way of congratulations and a lot of "about time" comments.

So, it goes to show. You can never do things right when it comes to pleasing other people!
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

No one said we were too young, heck on my side i was just following along with all the ones before me. (i was 19, dh was 20)

However they were all taking bets on how long it would last. They all lost, we will be married for 27 years May 3rd.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:26 PM   #22
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
Actually, his dad flat out told him he would pay full ride to any college he wanted, if he would just call off the wedding.
While it's obvious you had issues with your inlaws, actually, without it being personal about a specific relationship, I think many people make this offer to their kids. For many families unmarried = financial support through college. We like our son's girlfriend just fine, but I don't think she likes us very much based on this. Thankfully she knows that in our case it has nothing to do with her.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #23
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

Pooh you and I were alike. Both sides were taking bets on how long the marriage was going to last for. They all lost as we just celebrated 38 yrs. I was 18 and we had been seeing each other for 15 months at the time of our wedding. His mother had been vocal about us not getting married although it was really directed at me not my dh. My side was not happy but they did put on the wedding, although nothing was the way I wanted it. When I got pregnant shortly after (1st dd born 14 months after the wedding) she was really not happy. When we told her the good news she almost cried and was VERY vocal about how she felt (only to me again though).
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #24
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh67_68 View Post
No one said we were too young, heck on my side i was just following along with all the ones before me. (i was 19, dh was 20)

However they were all taking bets on how long it would last. They all lost, we will be married for 27 years May 3rd.
I believe our best man gave us 5 years and my mom bet 3 (either that or 7 and 5?). Who takes bets on a non-celebrity marriage?

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #25
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

Yes, I was warned by every single family member because of my age (20) and because are an interracial couple.

My mother actually didn't talk to me for a year

18 years later, and 3 kids later, I am the only one in my entire family not divorced. Not only that, but everybody loves my husband. Sometimes they call and don't even want to talk to me, they want to talk to him.

My mother and DH are BFFs
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
powellrj
I am wide awake and on the dis boards
My db and I usually fight over the turkey bones
It was so bad, it was funny
Note to self, never make anyone suffer with thirst

No, but now that I have grown children, I can't believe nobody tried to stop me!

I was 18 and had just finished my first year of college, DH was 22 and just graduated from college. We were both working part-time jobs. We had been dating since my jr. year in HS and had gotten engaged at my HS graduation.

We have been married almost 35 years, so it has lasted, but if my kids came to me at our ages, without full-time jobs, I think I would try really hard to try to make them wait. Both of our boys are in their 20's. Our oldest is married, but he was 25 and had already been to Iraq, and married a girl from HS, so I really didn't see a problem. Our middle DS is 22 and will graduate from college soon, but swears he will never get married and just be the next Hugh Hefner (that thought scares me!), so that leaves DD who is 16. She shows no interest in getting married anytime soon and has big college plans, so I don't think she will take my path.

As someone now middle aged, I keep thinking what were they thinking?!?!? Why DIDN'T anyone try to talk me out of it!

powellrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #27
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

A week before our wedding my mother told me that she didn't think we would last and there would be nothing but heartache. We were 23 and both had full time jobs teaching math.

This Aug we will celebrate 35 years. I know she really appreciated dh now.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

My MIL told DH that it was disloyal of him to marry me. We have issues.

We have not been married long. Almost 8 months. But we have been together for almost 7 years. We just decided to make it legal and wanted a specific date last year. It means something to us.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #29
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Does the limo driver count? He was a friend of mine. As we got to the church, my Dad got out. The driver told me he could take me down to Florida right then. Told me I was too young to be getting married. But I got out of the limo and got married anyway.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #30
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

None of our family members or friends expressed any doubts (at least out loud to us!), I think because DH and I had known each other since I was three and he was five. He lived down the street from me and I was friends with his sister (a year younger than I) long before he and I became a couple.

However, the pastor of our church, who had only been there for a year or so, thought we were too young and suggested that we wait until we knew each other better. When we told him that we had known each other for 15 years (at that point), he just sighed and said "Well, I guess you know each other as well as you're going to without getting married!" (Remember, this was 1966!) That was the end of our pre-marital counseling.

Still going strong after 52 years as a couple, 47 married.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: