Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Cape May Cafe?

I am considering making an ADR for Cape May Cafe for the week of April 8-13. It would be for dinner. I just wanted some advice as to whether the food is worth the price and also if anyone would have any idea how I would find out what the price per person is. The website gives me a "price range." For our family, a buffet is the way to go as we have 3 teenage boys...but we are on a budget! Thanks!
mommytothreeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

we went for the first time last august and it was apparent right away it was a new favorite. I asked DH jsut yesterday what were his top 3 must haves next trip, and Cape May dinner was in the bunch.

It was REALLLLLLY good.

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We went last May and I enjoyed it very much, as did my DH. Since then the menu has changed some, and some of the things we most enjoyed have been removed. There are no longer ribs or clam chowder for example.
If you call the dining line with your dates they should be able to quote the correct price.
Whether it is "worth it" is totally a personal decision, What is worth it to one person, is not worth it to another. Only you can decide that for your family.
We enjoyed it and would go again.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
LovingDisney2012
All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust!

My family really enjoys Cape May for dinner (even my 2 very picky kids). I would definitely recommend giving it a try!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
PALionKingfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytothreeboys
I am considering making an ADR for Cape May Cafe for the week of April 8-13. It would be for dinner. I just wanted some advice as to whether the food is worth the price and also if anyone would have any idea how I would find out what the price per person is. The website gives me a "price range." For our family, a buffet is the way to go as we have 3 teenage boys...but we are on a budget! Thanks!

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
PALionKingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota! View Post
we went for the first time last august and it was apparent right away it was a new favorite. I asked DH jsut yesterday what were his top 3 must haves next trip, and Cape May dinner was in the bunch.

It was REALLLLLLY good.
Thanks for the quick response! It's good to hear a positive review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
We went last May and I enjoyed it very much, as did my DH. Since then the menu has changed some, and some of the things we most enjoyed have been removed. There are no longer ribs or clam chowder for example.
If you call the dining line with your dates they should be able to quote the correct price.
Whether it is "worth it" is totally a personal decision, What is worth it to one person, is not worth it to another. Only you can decide that for your family.
We enjoyed it and would go again.
Thanks! I was really thinking more about the quality of the food as far as being "worth it". I think the amount and number of choices look great, but if it's only so-so seafood....maybe not so worth the price! Do you know if there is an updated menu available? I believe the one on allears still has ribs and chowder listed. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingDisney2012 View Post
My family really enjoys Cape May for dinner (even my 2 very picky kids). I would definitely recommend giving it a try!
Oh good! Thank you!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

Cape May for dinner was a request from both my husband and sons ( 15 ys and 13 yrs).
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Cape May Cafe is our absolute favorite. We eat there twice per trip.

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

We do enjoy the meal, we have eaten there many times while staying @ BC. I dont know if paying OOP ( we use TIW) that I would go out of my way to eat there. It is costly. But Boma I would!!
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
smiths02
DIS Veteran

I guess I am a dissenting opinion. It was fine, but I am not sure it would be worth the price-5 adults at a Disney buffet-ouch! I didn't find anything better than say Red Lobster quality. I found the atmosphere kind of meh (beachy, Red Lobster quality atmosphere), the service adequate (he brought drinks and the bill and wasn't rude), and the location inconvenient. One big factor is that while I eat crab legs, it is not my favorite seafood.

Personally, for a similar price, I loved the meals we had at Ohana (not buffet but AYCE). I also really enjoyed Boma (and AKL is so beautiful--but we were staying at AKL so it was also convenient). I even preferred Crystal Palace dinner (but I love Eeyore).

FWIW, Ohana, Cape May dinner, Boma, Biergarten seem to get the best reviews for the AYCE places (since you are searching for buffets)
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
mommytothreeboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6disneykids View Post
Cape May for dinner was a request from both my husband and sons ( 15 ys and 13 yrs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgf207 View Post
Cape May Cafe is our absolute favorite. We eat there twice per trip.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook1099 View Post
We do enjoy the meal, we have eaten there many times while staying @ BC. I dont know if paying OOP ( we use TIW) that I would go out of my way to eat there. It is costly. But Boma I would!!
DH and I did Boma in 2010 and loved it! Would love to take the boys there...but also want to try something new. UGH!! Sometimes decisions are so hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths02 View Post
I guess I am a dissenting opinion. It was fine, but I am not sure it would be worth the price-5 adults at a Disney buffet-ouch! I didn't find anything better than say Red Lobster quality. I found the atmosphere kind of meh (beachy, Red Lobster quality atmosphere), the service adequate (he brought drinks and the bill and wasn't rude), and the location inconvenient. One big factor is that while I eat crab legs, it is not my favorite seafood.

Personally, for a similar price, I loved the meals we had at Ohana (not buffet but AYCE). I also really enjoyed Boma (and AKL is so beautiful--but we were staying at AKL so it was also convenient). I even preferred Crystal Palace dinner (but I love Eeyore).

FWIW, Ohana, Cape May dinner, Boma, Biergarten seem to get the best reviews for the AYCE places (since you are searching for buffets)
Thanks for your opinion. I need to hear both sides before making a decision. My DH and I also loved Boma, and we have taken the kids to 'Ohana and Biergarten. We enjoyed each one. We have 2 days at Epcot this trip so was looking to do our one TS meal there (or nearby) since we have the most time there. We have also discussed Crystal Palace, but we've done the character thing and thought maybe this trip we'd do something different. Thank you for your input!
Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
smiths02
DIS Veteran

If you do Cape May on an Epcot day and know where you are going, then you will probably have a way better experience. We went from our resort (so bus to DHS then boat then confused as to how to get to the restaurant from there)...I know that was my fault (I should have used my car). I also grew up in So Cal, so beachy theme doesn't appeal to me.

I also went in with expectations too high b/c some relatives had hyped it up to me...and in the end, it is just a buffet...it is not V&As, it is not a magical character experience or a dinner show. I knew this and still let myself hype it up.

That being said, the food was good (except dessert was a little boring). I am glad we tried it once.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
susanv
Mouseketeer

It is a must do for our family. There is something for all six of us. My husband requests it each time, but it will be more expensive for your family as you would have to pay for all adults and we only have two adults and one free. You can find current prices at AllEars.net. We took my parents-in-law on to Cape May Cafe Clambake last time at Disney and they loved it. The food was good and fit with two people that were on a diet.

Have you ever tried Olivia's at Old Key West? My husband calls the prime rib the best steak on property (yeah I know it's not steak, but whatever), and I LOVE their Key Lime Tart, UMMMMMM yummy! Not fancy, but also not as expensive as a buffet and tasty. Easier to get into as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
jlr9882
Mouseketeer

We love Cape May clambake, so much that it is a must do on our next trip in July. We all love seafood, but there is plenty other stuff for the nonseafood lovers. They treated my young son with over 20 allergies like a Prince, so that made our experience even better.

[/url]

July 2013- Our 1st July 4th trip with a party of 12- CSR w/DDP
Aug 2011- Bahamas Celebration Cruise and Disney -POP w/DDP (My DS with 20+ allergies was treated like a Prince!)
Feb 2011- Epcot trip and DTD- offsite rental house
Aug 2009- DS first trip! -POP
Tons more trips before then offsite with my first trip at only 6 weeks old. My cousin that went as our babysitter is now a CM!
jlr9882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
DisneyGirl4188
Mike's Princess
I won't tell you the really weird stuff I do

We really like Cape May, and we usually go there for Thanksgiving. We really like it, and for us it is worth the price.

DH would go there just for the Oreo Bon Bons, and I love their Panzanella Salad.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: