Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
SL30
Earning My Ears

Packing food on flight

I am taking poptarts, crackers, etc, about enough to fit in a kid size duffel bag. Is it okay to take that food as a carryon if it is the only thing in the carryon?
I just don't want to put it in the suitcase and have it all get crushed...
Old 01-24-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

Yes it can go in a carry on.
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Food is no problem - just no liquids or ice packs. The carry-on will count towards 1 person's carry-on allowance.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
SL30
Earning My Ears

Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL30 View Post
I am taking poptarts, crackers, etc, about enough to fit in a kid size duffel bag. Is it okay to take that food as a carryon if it is the only thing in the carryon?
As others have said, it's fine to bring non-liquid/non-gel food items on the plane with you as carry-on. (I've carried a turkey leg home from WDW in my carry-on! ) Just a note because you said "duffel'; if you put it in the over-head bin it might still get crushed. When the over-head bins start to fill up, the flight attendants and other passengers try to make as much space as possible by pushing together bags. If your's is soft, it might get mushed. I'd put under the seat in front of me instead.
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
dminnie
DIS Veteran

If you decide to bring a jar of peanut butter or something like that, it couldn't be carried on, but it can be checked. One way to avoid it being crushed would be to put it in a shoe box and then into the bag. This would work for carry on or checked baggage.

Also, I would check with the airline about what you can bring as a carry on...I've heard that only food that will be consumed in flight can be carried on. I could be wrong on that though.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie
If you decide to bring a jar of peanut butter or something like that, it couldn't be carried on, but it can be checked. One way to avoid it being crushed would be to put it in a shoe box and then into the bag. This would work for carry on or checked baggage.

Also, I would check with the airline about what you can bring as a carry on...I've heard that only food that will be consumed in flight can be carried on. I could be wrong on that though.
Last paragraph not entirely true. Basically you're allowed 1+1 (carryon and personal item), if you were to board and had say an additional small paper bag with the burger an fries you just bought, then it's allowed because its being consumed on board.

You couldnt have the 1+1, and then another carryon bag full of food you'll snack on for the trip. That would be too many bags.

In terms of what you pack foodwise in the carryon, as long as its not a gel or liquid over 3.4 oz, you can pack it.
Casemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Gel ice packs are allowed as long as they are frozen. When frozen they are a solid, hence the gel restriction doesn't apply.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL30 View Post
Its OK to carry food on even if it isn't the only thing in a carryon. As long as its not a liquid/gel then nobody cares what is in the carryon.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casemily View Post
Gel ice packs are allowed as long as they are frozen. When frozen they are a solid, hence the gel restriction doesn't apply.
Not true. You can only take ice packs through security for medical reasons.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #11
SAT887
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine

Yep- I have tossed quite a few of this in the trash because they are not allowed... I always forget to leave them in the car. I usually bring extra ziplock bags to fill with ice after I go through security.
SAT887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Casemily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine

The cities on the west coast I've been thru have never given me a problem. Maybe the folks you dealt with were new, or your gel/ice packs were not frozen. Below per the TSA.gov website

Frozen liquid items are allowed through the checkpoint as long as they are frozen solid when presented for screening. If frozen liquid items are partially melted, slushy, or have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they must meet 3-1-1 liquids requirements.
If the frozen item is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Jedimom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie View Post
If you decide to bring a jar of peanut butter or something like that, it couldn't be carried on, but it can be checked.
Why no peanut butter -- is it considered a gel?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
No, anyone can.

As for the peanut butter question, it's considered a liquid:

https://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informa...-food-or-gifts
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
phewms
Mouseketeer

So glad this was posted as we are leaving in a month and planned to bring snacks as well. We are flying SWA so get to check 2 bags (free) each. We won't need that much luggage but putting the snacks in shoe boxes in our checked luggage is a great idea! I guess I'll order water and whatnot from Garden Grocer or Wegoshop as we are staying on property with no car.
phewms is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: