Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
bigdisz
Tracking Real Estate in Anadupur

That.Hat.

I heard a rumor that the 100 years of magic emblem of MGM is comin down! has anyone else heard that rumor? is it true?
1999-1st Visit! Fort Wilderness 2001-Offsite 2002-Old Key West (Universal) DVC MEMBERS 2003- Beach Club Villas 2005-Old KeyWest 2006-Old Key West 2008-Port Orleans FQ, Old Key West2009-Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West
2011- Bay Lake Towers, Old Key West2012 January- Coronado Springs 2012 Summer-Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West
Summer 2013 Port Orleans FQ Summer 2014- Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake Towers
bigdisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
ToddS
Mouseketeer

I wish it were. I've said it here before, but I'm pretty sure that the main reason the hat is there is because of PhotoPass. If I understand correctly, DIsney does not have the rights to sell anything with the image of the Chinese Theater on it. So if the hat were not there, they could not have their photographers taking PhotoPass pictures in that direction down Hollywood Boulevard, because they cannot legally sell pictures that show the theater. (Same is true for the Brown Derby, incidentally.) Hence the hat -- to block the (much more attractive, IMO) view of the theater.

If the image rights for the theater are ever rectified, I would think the hat would be gone pretty quick. I would love to see it moved to the semi-circular area on the water outside of the turnstiles. I don't think it's a bad icon for the park, I just don't like its location.
ToddS is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
golf4miami
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
If the image rights for the theater are ever rectified, I would think the hat would be gone pretty quick. I would love to see it moved to the semi-circular area on the water outside of the turnstiles. I don't think it's a bad icon for the park, I just don't like its location.
But then where would the Christmas tree go!?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

When did Disney start having photographers in the parks?

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to buy Disney/MGM postcards with the theater on them. And slides. I mean, the place existed for 10-11? years before that stupid thing was put in. Surely Disney put it in pictures before that time.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
I wish it were. I've said it here before, but I'm pretty sure that the main reason the hat is there is because of PhotoPass. If I understand correctly, DIsney does not have the rights to sell anything with the image of the Chinese Theater on it. So if the hat were not there, they could not have their photographers taking PhotoPass pictures in that direction down Hollywood Boulevard, because they cannot legally sell pictures that show the theater. (Same is true for the Brown Derby, incidentally.) Hence the hat -- to block the (much more attractive, IMO) view of the theater.

The "rights issues" over the Chinese Theater are an urban legend that has been repeated so many times that it's almost accepted as fact.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
When did Disney start having photographers in the parks?

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to buy Disney/MGM postcards with the theater on them. And slides. I mean, the place existed for 10-11? years before that stupid thing was put in. Surely Disney put it in pictures before that time.
It's possible that Disney was able to reduce or eliminate any royalties paid by blocking the theater as a photo backdrop. Knowing how Disney operates ($$$), IMO that makes a lot more sense than theories about the hat being a better park icon.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
The "rights issues" over the Chinese Theater are an urban legend that has been repeated so many times that it's almost accepted as fact.
Is there a source which refutes this supposed urban legend?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
YoHo

http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html

Urban Legend.

www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Is there a source which refutes this supposed urban legend?
http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #10
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf4miami View Post
But then where would the Christmas tree go!?
Before the Big Hat, the Christmas Tree used to go where the hat is now.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VkqXgjEVVB...udios-2000.png
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

I've said this before and I'll say it again: With all due respect to Werner and Yesterland, he doesn't provide any proof that it is an urban legend. Nowhere in that story does it confirm or deny the existence of an agreement to replicate the Chinese Theater.

The piece contains a lot of deductive reasoning which may or may not be accurate. Just because the argument sounds good doesn't make it true.

Personally I think the photography angle makes perfect sense...particularly if the agreement didn't properly address digital photography and PhotoPass. There are countless examples of rights disputes arising when emerging technologies are applied to legacy contracts.

Assuming for the moment that some contract does (did) exist, it's one thing for Disney to agree to pay a few pennies per hardcopy photo purchased when the contract was written in the late '80s. But if its terms were successfully applied to millions of digital PhotoPass images viewed online, purchased on CD and displayed on a wide range of personalized merchandise, suddenly the bill gets much larger.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
YoHo

How much do they pay for the image used on the Disneyworld.com website?

I mean come on your jumping through a lot of hoops here.

www.july171955.com

Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
How much do they pay for the image used on the Disneyworld.com website?

I mean come on your jumping through a lot of hoops here.
Good point!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/at...at-movie-ride/
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Personally I think the photography angle makes perfect sense...particularly if the agreement didn't properly address digital photography and PhotoPass. There are countless examples of rights disputes arising when emerging technologies are applied to legacy contracts.
The reason so many people believe so many urban legends is they tend to "make perfect sense," at least on the surface.

The burden of proof should be to prove that there IS such an agreement with the owners of the Chinese Theater.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Quote:
I've said this before and I'll say it again: With all due respect to Werner and Yesterland, he doesn't provide any proof that it is an urban legend. Nowhere in that story does it confirm or deny the existence of an agreement to replicate the Chinese Theater.
Conversely though, is there any proof that the agreement is the reason? As far as I know, there is not, but I could be wrong.

In the absence though, I have a hard time getting firmly behind either possibility. Though I will say that I would think Disney could find a way to resolve the contract dispute short of having to build a BAH and stick it in front of the theater.

Quote:
IMO that makes a lot more sense than theories about the hat being a better park icon.
Keep in mind, however, that this occurred around the same time they put a giant 2000 on Spaceship Earth. That was bad enough, but then instead of just taking it down in 2001, they chose to put a giant Epcot sign up there.

So, the idea that they thought the BAH (that is the proper name, btw), was a better icon is not far-fetched at all. Even less so when you consider the synergistic implications.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: