Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 AM   #46
martlisa
Earning My Ears

Hi I started this thread. Must admit this weeks podcast flowed a bit better. I think change is good and I'm impressed at you acknowledging you listeners concerns. Must admit I'm still not a fan of some of the sound bites I think they disrupt the flow of the show. Thank you for listening
martlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #47
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by martlisa View Post
Hi I started this thread. Must admit this weeks podcast flowed a bit better. I think change is good and I'm impressed at you acknowledging you listeners concerns. Must admit I'm still not a fan of some of the sound bites I think they disrupt the flow of the show. Thank you for listening
I promise - the movie soundbites are gone The Bob sound bites and some others from previous shows though are too good to resist. I have a new one for John this week that I can't wait to use

Pete
Old 02-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #48
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

You can never get rid of Bob... He'd haunt you with dole whips if you did!!!

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Tink rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #49
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterPete View Post
Feedback like this thread helps with that more than I can say. I understand why some people are reticent to offer constructive criticism but it doesn't serve the show well. I'm not perfect and neither is any one sitting at the table. We'll try new things - if we get feedback telling us what people liked and didn't we can adjust. When everyone just tells us how wonderful we are, we start to believe it and then things get ugly. I've been down that road before Don't get me wrong - keep telling me I'm wonderful by all means, but also tell me what it is you don't like. All of us have a very real and very genuine affection for our listeners. You guys have changed our lives in more ways that we can ever tell you. We all want the show to be good and to get better because every one of us wants to give that to you. I wish you could hear the conversations that go on when we discuss new ideas for the show. The only consideration is 'do you think they'll like this'. Except now that we're going to video, the other consideration is "does this shirt make me look fat".
I only excerpted part of your post, Pete, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU! The fact that you and the rest of the team are so genuine and open to both praise and critique is what makes us all come back to listen (and now watch) week after week.

I am one who has hesitated to post criticism because I didn't want to come off sounding like I was overly negative or bashing all of the hard work that you all do FOR US. I also recognize that change is hard for everyone. You are used to doing the show a certain way. We are used to experiencing the show a certain way. Change any aspect and you change the experience. That isn't good or bad. It's just different and different always takes some getting used to. If after a few weeks, something still just isn't clicking for me and others, I'm sure you'll hear about it. It is good for us to know that you all value the feedback. Thanks again for all that you do and thanks especially for taking the time to come on and reply to the comments and concerns being posted.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #50
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

I wish the podcast crew luck with their new live, video format but hope they do as they say they will and remember that the VAST majority of listeners will be still be just that, listen-only, not viewing, since they have elected not to offer an iTunes/RSS download of the video format of the podcast. And, while I certainly understand why they aren't doing this (bandwidth), that really does mean that only a very small percentage of people will see the video they seem to have gone to great lengths to create.

I also say "hope," not because I think they're lying, but just because it's very easy to get caught up in the visual, when you're right there and can see it, and know that at least some others can, too. It's just human nature.

I don't know the Dis Unplugged's numbers, but I do know that the vast majority of podcasts that also live stream get 90% plus of their listeners via automatic RSS subscriptions.
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #51
Omnimover
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom
I wish the podcast crew luck with their new live, video format but hope they do as they say they will and remember that the VAST majority of listeners will be still be just that, listen-only, not viewing, since they have elected not to offer an iTunes/RSS download of the video format of the podcast. And, while I certainly understand why they aren't doing this (bandwidth), that really does mean that only a very small percentage of people will see the video they seem to have gone to great lengths to create.
If they post the show to their YouTube page like they apparently are, you can easily subscribe to that feed as well. Yes, its a little different than subscribing RSS style with a feed catcher, but you can still watch it on demand. I think there's some ongoing confusion with folks thinking that they will only be able to see the video portion live.

Omnimover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #52
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnimover View Post
If they post the show to their YouTube page like they apparently are, you can easily subscribe to that feed as well. Yes, its a little different than subscribing RSS style with a feed catcher, but you can still watch it on demand. I think there's some ongoing confusion with folks thinking that they will only be able to see the video portion live.
I realize I'll have the option of viewing it on YouTube, but realistically, that isn't going to happen. I simply don't have the time. There is another Disney show that I do subscribe to and I'm always a month or two behind it watching that at best and then usually end up skipping episodes and segments to catch up. With the DIS podcast (audio), I listen in my car to and from work and that's perfect. Can't do that with video though.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #53
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydel View Post
I didn't mind the plug for Dreams at all. From a business standpoint it seems foolish NOT to be letting people know about your travel business. I bet there are people out here who don't really know about it who would welcome the information and be interested in the service. Heck....it's almost a public service announcement!
And because we are all Disney fans, I don't think anyone would mind advertising from Disney related businesses. But at the end of the day - we are listening for free and you have to pay the bills...bring in those ad dollars!!!
I'm sure most would agree that we want this to be a financially resonable thing for you to do....so it can continue.

Tammy
I couldn't agree any more here.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #54
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just People View Post
My only gripe is that there are too many people in the show now. Really there should be just be a core group weekly. Also, Skype always sounds awful on podcasts. Also, saying that commercials are finally coming to the podcasts it's a stretch. Anytime they mention the latest Adventures by Disney tour or whatever Dis Cruise is coming up sounds like a commercial to me.
Agree 100% here as well. Pete, Kevin, Julie, John, Bob & Corey were the perfect team. Losing Bob was a major blow, but this group could have carried the show with ease by themselves. If it were my show, I wouldn't do the show unless I had this whole group together. If that meant shortening the show and/or missing several weeks at a time, so be it. And sound effects detract from the content of the show.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #55
hookedonears
Louisianan

Video tape the podcast? What a novel idea. I believe I suggested that several years ago and got pounded for making such a suggestion.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #56
topolino
I don't mean those kind of gestures!
Not everything we eat needs to be healthy. Live a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
Video tape the podcast? What a novel idea. I believe I suggested that several years ago and got pounded for making such a suggestion.
I have just started listening to the podcast again, after about a year away from it. I was floored by the news that the podcast was going to be video taped and broadcast.

Last I knew, John and Kevin were camera shy and couldn't stand to even have their picture taken, much less be filmed.

I guess a lot has changed since I've been gone.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #57
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Agree 100% here as well. Pete, Kevin, Julie, John, Bob & Corey were the perfect team. Losing Bob was a major blow, but this group could have carried the show with ease by themselves. If it were my show, I wouldn't do the show unless I had this whole group together. If that meant shortening the show and/or missing several weeks at a time, so be it. And sound effects detract from the content of the show.
I think that Kathy and Teresa (and Dustin and special guests) bring a lot to the show, and I love listening to them. Especially when Julie canít be there, itís nice to have a female perspective on things. Not that I donít love John and Kevin and Pete, because, I do. Seriously. I do wish that there was room for everyone every week though, and it didnít switch out so much.

Iíll try to watch the ones on YouTube, but it probably wonít happen, and thatís okay. Iíll run and listen to the ones that are on iTunes.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #58
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
I think that Kathy and Teresa (and Dustin and special guests) bring a lot to the show, and I love listening to them. Especially when Julie canít be there, itís nice to have a female perspective on things. Not that I donít love John and Kevin and Pete, because, I do. Seriously. I do wish that there was room for everyone every week though, and it didnít switch out so much.

Iíll try to watch the ones on YouTube, but it probably wonít happen, and thatís okay. Iíll run and listen to the ones that are on iTunes.
Pete, John and Kevin are my core group, and I really enjoy everyone else, as well, ..and I love when Kathy and Theresa are on!
I would love to have the 5 of them plus Corey and Julie and now Dustin(and Walter too!), but I understand that so many people talking and around a table can be a bit much to manage.
I'm happy with the show and the dirction they're going in.

I am actually really excited for the video show-I can watch it the weeks I have time(which will be most weeks, I assume) and if I don't have time..or if I want to save the podcast for a long drive, I have that option.
Options are good!

JVL1018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #59
hookedonears
Louisianan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL1018 View Post
Pete, John and Kevin are my core group, and I really enjoy everyone else, as well, ..and I love when Kathy and Theresa are on!
I would love to have the 5 of them plus Corey and Julie and now Dustin(and Walter too!), but I understand that so many people talking and around a table can be a bit much to manage.
I'm happy with the show and the dirction they're going in.

I am actually really excited for the video show-I can watch it the weeks I have time(which will be most weeks, I assume) and if I don't have time..or if I want to save the podcast for a long drive, I have that option.
Options are good!
To me, Kathy is great at telling it how it is. She and Kevin both also seem to me to be genuinely very nice people. The show from the beginning, to use Pete's words several years ago; was "a little edgy". Kathy unfortunately seems to be a little straight laced for such an edgy show. Bob played the Archie Bunker character, mispronouncing words for humor. Teresa has attempted to play some what of a Chrissy from Threes Company part for humor and it's worked to an extent. I do believe that Pete feels under pressure to get a show out each week, but he shouldn't feel that way. Unless he has his core group together, even though there may be 2-3 weeks with out a show, he should wait to put it out.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #60
newmouse2008
Bigger is not always better
In my next life, I'm coming back as a man. I need the restExercise Exercise, Red Panties, Red Panties

Quote:
To me, Kathy is great at telling it how it is. She and Kevin both also seem to me to be genuinely very nice people. The show from the beginning, to use Pete's words several years ago; was "a little edgy". Kathy unfortunately seems to be a little straight laced for such an edgy show. Bob played the Archie Bunker character, mispronouncing words for humor. Teresa has attempted to play some what of a Chrissy from Threes Company part for humor and it's worked to an extent. I do believe that Pete feels under pressure to get a show out each week, but he shouldn't feel that way. Unless he has his core group together, even though there may be 2-3 weeks with out a show, he should wait to put it out.
It's good to know that Kevin and Kathy are Nice Folk, I guess the jury is still out on the rest of us. I am sitting here in my short shorts with my long blonde hair up in a side ponytail just waiting to go to today's show. I hope I can remember how to get there. LOL!!!! If I am Late, Kathy tends to fuss at me, because she is like that.

I personally have a great time doing the show, How you take me, is entirely up to you.

I know for a fact that everyone one the show is genuinely nice with the sole exception of John.

I am off to roller skate to Pete's to do today's show!!! Hope you watch!!

Have a great day!!

T

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: