Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #16
columnwest
Mouseketeer

I gotta agree with most of the posts on this thread. Maybe the sound clips would have worked better in the video version (I only have the audio version.) or if the "targets" of the jokes could've heared them and reacted. Maybe not. To me it felt like a "morning zoo" type of show, and that is not a format I'm a fan of.

I agree with the others who miss having soundclips sourced from the show itself, especially the Bawb-isms. Some of the clips used (particularly the woman screaming "Help me!", which I have no idea what it's from, but it sounds something from a horror movie to me) I found to be jarring and even a little disturbing, removed from their original context.

Let's hope it was just a case of Pete going button-happy with a new toy, and not a measure of things to come.

As for the ad-read, I totally understand that they need to pay the bills. So, I'm cool with it. A lot of podcasts I listen to do ad-reads in different ways. I'm sure they'll experiment with formats and find the way that works best for this show.

And finally, a note to Pete: "Fair use" exists, but there is no "30-second" rule. Please be careful.
columnwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by columnwest View Post
And finally, a note to Pete: "Fair use" exists, but there is no "30-second" rule. Please be careful.
I haven't heard the show yet, but this caution is very true. There is no 30-second rule, no percentage that is okay to use without permission, etc. Fair use is a defense to an infringement claim, so you don't want to have to claim it, especially because I'm pretty sure "use on a podcast" isn't one of the four prongs to the fair use test.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
thunderbird1
DIS Veteran

I don't have a problem with the ads at all. They didn't really feel any different than the occasional "full disclosures" or "shameless plugs" that they've done for DU and other sponsors over the years. I did appreciate getting them over with at the top of the show.

The sound clips were another story. To me, they just sounded too much like the "shtick" that Pete used to tell Bob they were absolutely not going to do. Though I do miss the drop-ins from previous shows, especially the "Bob-isms."

Survivor of Experiment 6/26: 6 parks in 1 day 6/26/12!
thunderbird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #19
MapleGirl
Perpetual Planner

I didn't mind the DU advert in the beginning and I very much appreciate that the placement didn't mess up the flow of the show. Like others I didn't really care for the sound clips. There were too many, it felt cluttered and the sound quality wasn't great. I might enjoy some clips from Disney rides/movies. Hard to say.

MapleGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Just People
Lurker

My only gripe is that there are too many people in the show now. Really there should be just be a core group weekly. Also, Skype always sounds awful on podcasts. Also, saying that commercials are finally coming to the podcasts it's a stretch. Anytime they mention the latest Adventures by Disney tour or whatever Dis Cruise is coming up sounds like a commercial to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #21
robertgp124
DIS Addict

I wasn't a fan of the sounds, but really enjoyed the podcast this week, Seems like they were doing a trial run and all things considered, I like it. Lately it seems as though there have been so many very good segments and great ideas!

My only thought on the sounds is this - the team always has a great narrative, a good story. It's one thing when it gets broken by a little humor (I love it) but I don't enjoy the sound commentary (for lack of a more elegant description). Having said that, I miss John's harp music.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #22
scjo68
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed the podcast. The ad did not bother me at all. If a business sponsors a program, it only makes sense for the business to be promoted. It is very American and very "Disney". THe ad itself was appropriate and tasteful, I thought.

I did not care for the sound effects. They kind of interrupted the "flow" of the discussion. It didn't ruin the show or anything, though.
Aug. 2013 POP, Nov. 2013 CR

scjo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
SamSam

DIS Veteran

I'll have to go against the general consensus here and say that I really enjoyed the show, sound clips and all. It tickled me that Pete was having so much fun with them and that T kept wondering what the heck he was playing.
The Advertising...it was tasteful,at the beginning of the show so it wasn't an interruption. It's a free podcast, which I happen to enjoy very much, so a little advertising is just fine with me.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
PainInIL
Earning My Ears

Really not a fan of the sound drops. It takes a podcast where people are having a great conversation and turns it into a morning zoo. I tune in for the conversation, not to hear someone play with a soundboard.
PainInIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #25
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by columnwest View Post
I gotta agree with most of the posts on this thread. Maybe the sound clips would have worked better in the video version (I only have the audio version.) or if the "targets" of the jokes could've heared them and reacted. Maybe not. To me it felt like a "morning zoo" type of show, and that is not a format I'm a fan of.

I agree with the others who miss having soundclips sourced from the show itself, especially the Bawb-isms. Some of the clips used (particularly the woman screaming "Help me!", which I have no idea what it's from, but it sounds something from a horror movie to me) I found to be jarring and even a little disturbing, removed from their original context.

Let's hope it was just a case of Pete going button-happy with a new toy, and not a measure of things to come.

As for the ad-read, I totally understand that they need to pay the bills. So, I'm cool with it. A lot of podcasts I listen to do ad-reads in different ways. I'm sure they'll experiment with formats and find the way that works best for this show.

I just wanted to echo all of the above. I agree the podcast, perhaps because they are more wary/self-concious being live and on video, didn't flow as well as usual and the sound effects were very morning zoo and, frankly, annoying.

I hope they take this as its intended--constructive criticism from a listener of many years--and not as a knock against trying new things, because I don't think that's my issue.

The generally accepted fair use rule, as I learned it, was that the allowable amount of quotation/sharing/exhibiting of copyrighted material is no more than 10%, with that amount not to exceed 30 seconds ... Which is probably what Pete was referencing. Though the above actually applies only in a current events or journalism situation, where the quoted/excerpted material is used to illustrate a story or point (e.g. a movie review or local news story) and would not apply to brief use of music or movie clips as entertainment pieces or transition material.

The fair use standards are also, legally (though I'm simplifying the explanation a bit), more stringently applied to commercial works. With the definition of commercial very broadly drawn. Things like using the highly identifiable NBC News theme to intro your news would definitely be a giant and obvious legal no-go, as consumer confusion is a major legal issue. (Just a warning. Not a critique.)

In today's landscape where the DMCA interpretation tends to go the way of the rights' holder, regardless of how much or little is excerpted, "fair use" has become an endangered species. The policy of most major websites (e.g. YouTube) and web hosting servers and services is to honor ALL DMCA takedown notices with zero proof, including those with no basis what-so-ever, leaving the creator to argue why it should be able to exist, vs. making the complainer prove they own the rights.

There are plenty of bots (automated systems) that constantly search YouTube and other websites for "infringing" material based on key words, sound clips, etc. and will issue a DMCA takedown notice for anything it finds, even if that item is well within the fair use guidelines or not even the item it was actually searching for all (mis-identified takedown notices are legion). YouTube will then, also totally automatically, remove the entire video from its service just upon receipt of the notice ... So many of these things happen without a single human being even looking to see if the notice makes sense.

Last edited by coopersmom; 01-30-2013 at 02:05 PM.
coopersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
I just wanted to echo all of the above. I agree the podcast, perhaps because they are more wary/self-concious being live and on video, didn't flow as well as usual and the sound effects were very morning zoo and, frankly, annoying.

I hope they take this as its intended--constructive criticism from a listener of many years--and not as a knock against trying new things, because I don't think that's my issue.

The generally accepted fair use rule, as I learned it, was that the allowable amount of quotation/sharing/exhibiting of copyrighted material is no more than 10%, with that amount not to exceed 30 seconds ... Which is probably what Pete was referencing. Though the above actually applies only in a current events or journalism situation, where the quoted/excerpted material is used to illustrate a story or point (e.g. a movie review or local news story) and would not apply to brief use of music or movie clips as entertainment pieces or transition material.

The fair use standards are also, legally (though I'm simplifying the explanation a bit), more stringently applied to commercial works. With the definition of commercial very broadly drawn. Things like using the highly identifiable NBC News theme to intro your news would definitely be a giant and obvious legal no-go, as consumer confusion is a major legal issue. (Just a warning. Not a critique.)

In today's landscape where the DMCA interpretation tends to go the way of the rights' holder, regardless of how much or little is excerpted, "fair use" has become an endangered species. The policy of most major websites (e.g. YouTube) and web hosting servers and services is to honor ALL DMCA takedown notices with zero proof, including those with no basis what-so-ever, leaving the creator to argue why it should be able to exist, vs. making the complainer prove they own the rights.

There are plenty of bots (automated systems) that constantly search YouTube and other websites for "infringing" material based on key words, sound clips, etc. and will issue a DMCA takedown notice for anything it finds, even if that item is well within the fair use guidelines or not even the item it was actually searching for all (mis-identified takedown notices are legion). YouTube will then, also totally automatically, remove the entire video from its service just upon receipt of the notice ... So many of these things happen without a single human being even looking to see if the notice makes sense.
There is no acceptable percentage or amount of time or number of pages that is clearly fair use. The only people who can determine whether or not something is fair use are the copyright owner (who decides whether or not to pursue an infringement claim) or the judge presiding over the infringement case. Here's a link to the rules about fair use: http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
bradisgoofy
Even 3rd shifters get in on the action
My rear seat is all one piece

As a long time listener, I too didn't think the sound clips "flowed" with the show. And I have no problem with ads, most of the podcasts I listen to or watch have them.
Brad is because he use to work the midnight shift. (I am disbugs papa), (follow maturemouse on Twitter & Facebook), DDC #53 * WDW visit on Honeymoon 8/73 * Off sight - 4/1982 * CBR - 4/1995 * Dixie Landings (now Riverside) - 4/1999 * FW Cabins 4/2000 * DVC Membership (BWV) - 4/2000 * VWL - 4/2001 * OKW - 4/2002 * BWV - 4/2003 * BWV - 4/2004 * FW (in our Fifth Wheel) - 4/2005 * BWV - 3/2006 then Disney Wonder 3 day Cruise - 3/30/06 then back to BWV - 4/2006 * FW (in our new MOTORCOACH) - 4/2007 * BWV & FW - 4/2008 Magical Gathering * SSR - 10/2008 MNSSHP * BCV - 3/2009 * BWV - 11/2009 (MVMCP 11-10-09) * FW (in the BIG RIG) - 5/2010 - Bought into BLT 5/12/10 * OKW 11/2010 * 2nd Wonder cruise 11/7/10 * MVMCP 11/11/10 * BLT 5/2011 * BWV - 12/2011 MVMCP 12/6/11 * BLT 4/12 * BLT 10/12 & DISNEY DREAMers cruise 10/7/12 * BLT 4/13 * VWL - 7/13 * Dream cruise 7/4/13 * BWV 11/29/13, Fantasy 7day Cruise 11/13 40-40-60, BWV 12/7/13 * BLT 5/14, DCL Magic 5/5/14 4 day, BLT 5/9/13 * BLT 12/14 - Podcast Cruise 5.0 !!!* I was at the 1st ever podcast at the DISboard Welcome Center 5/1/12 DCL cruises-Wonder 3/06;Wonder 11/10;Dream 10/12;Dream 7/13;Fantasy 11/13;Magic 5/14;Magic 11/14(PCC 5.0)
bradisgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

First of all - rest assured that I take EVERYTHING said in this thread as constructive, and no one should ever feel afraid to post comments like these.

As some have pointed out, we're experimenting a little with certain things as we gear up for the first live show. I'm very aware of the chemistry the table has and I'm trying to be mindful to 'enhance' - not 'change'. We might go to far, or not far enough. The fact is we've been doing basically the same show for 6 1/2 years and it's time for it to (hopefully) get better. Some things will work, some things won't. With honest feedback and continued good will from our listeners, we'll make it everything it has, should and can be.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Pete
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

I think what has made the show so good for years is the fact that all of you have sat at a table and discussed topics that we all love. I for one don't mind the ads at all and am looking forward to the video version. I just hope that the show doesn't become too polished and too "radio". I enjoy the casual banter and the feeling that we are listening in to a conversation at a kitchen table. One thing that would be very cool is if we could send in questions or make comments as the show is being recorded. Maybe a chat room or on twitter. Keep up the good work and I look forward too all the cool things that are lined up for the future.

BTW I also prefer old show sound bytes rather than the movie ones.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine

Last edited by DisneyDaddy-O; 01-30-2013 at 08:52 PM.
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #30
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterPete View Post
First of all - rest assured that I take EVERYTHING said in this thread as constructive, and no one should ever feel afraid to post comments like these.

As some have pointed out, we're experimenting a little with certain things as we gear up for the first live show. I'm very aware of the chemistry the table has and I'm trying to be mindful to 'enhance' - not 'change'. We might go to far, or not far enough. The fact is we've been doing basically the same show for 6 1/2 years and it's time for it to (hopefully) get better. Some things will work, some things won't. With honest feedback and continued good will from our listeners, we'll make it everything it has, should and can be.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

Pete
Loved reading this. As business owners ourselves, we try to take all suggestions in a positive way but it is sometimes hard not to personalize it, so I'm glad you are being very positive about all the 'suggestions'.

You have a great website, great podcast and I love that you are always looking at ways to improve....not that it needs any changing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: