Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you friends with your "under age 18" child on Facebook?
Yes. 68 76.40%
No. 3 3.37%
I don't do Facebook or my child is older than 18. 3 3.37%
My child does not have a facebook account. 9 10.11%
Other : because there always has to be another option. 6 6.74%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Are you friends with your under 18 child on facebook?

Poll coming.....

I am just curious because I have always told DS that I would never make him be my friend, but due to certain circumstances, I have changed my mind. He had a choice to either stay off facebook, or be my friend so I can keep tabs on him online. He is 16. He grudgingly chose to be my facebook friend.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Yes, but I have them blocked from seeing anything I say.

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
karen l
DIS Veteran

My youngest DS is 18 today but he's been on fb for awhile. We discussed it before he went on it & he knew he'd have to friend me or get off if there were any issues. Fortunately, he was careful with his posts so we had no problems. You're doing the right thing - good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

I am facebook friends with both of my kids, and several of THEIR friends. All by request of the kids.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen l View Post
My youngest DS is 18 today but he's been on fb for awhile. We discussed it before he went on it & he knew he'd have to friend me or get off if there were any issues. Fortunately, he was careful with his posts so we had no problems. You're doing the right thing - good luck with it.
Thank you. He has some social issues that he is seeing a counselor about, and has been taken off facebook since New Years eve. He is a very social person though, and I have felt guilty basically cutting him off from his friends. I hope I made the right decision in allowing him back on.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
fimac
Mouseketeer

Yes, for all of the kids. They are also friends with their Grandmother and various relatives.
It is a reminder to them that nothing you post online is private and if do not want your mother to read it then you should not post it. However, I do not comment on any of their posts.
fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
disykat
DIS Veteran

Yes, I am their friend. I creep their friends pages sometimes too. However, I never comment on their pages etc. I accept friend requests, but never request anyone under 21.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

I voted other. My kid wanted. A facebook account and I said "only if we are friends." He didn't want other people to see my name on his friend list, he said that was embarassing but I could have his log in info and check that way which seemed reasonable to me.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'snewestfan View Post
I voted other. My kid wanted. A facebook account and I said "only if we are friends." He didn't want other people to see my name on his friend list, he said that was embarassing but I could have his log in info and check that way which seemed reasonable to me.
I have all of that and have had it since the beginning. I just want him to be more accountable of what he says. And to realize that when he posts something that I will have it on my page as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Yes, DD19 has been online for several years and has always been friends with me, her dad, and several family members. DD12, almost 13, just got an account and is also friends with many family members. Around here, it is typical that parents & family are part of the FB friends list. I see DD's friend's parents post and everything on their kids' pages, no big deal.

We did tell DD12 that we would have full access to her account and could read her posts, messages, and texts. We just discovered that we need to confiscate her phone at night due to FB msgs after hours.

I will tell you though that when kids don't want their parents to see something, they go to Twitter or some other social media. When DD18 & her friends all planned to get tattoos last year, they planned & posted about it on Twitter instead. DD18 admitted that they go there to write about "other" stuff. Since she was a senior by then, I didn't have a problem with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I am facebook friends with both of my kids, and several of THEIR friends. All by request of the kids.
Ditto.

January 2017.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
bethbuchall
Had to make sure she was in Disney World on her 40th

I don't have a child under 18 that has a Facebook account.

If a child can block/control what you see, how much does friending him/her really help you know what is going on? Would it be better to insist on either having the password to the account or having him/her log you onto the account on a regular basis? (These are honest questions. I'm not trying to be snarky.)

bethbuchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Yes, I am friends with my children on facebook, I thought it would be a great way to keep an eye on them to make sure they were behaving.

The problem is that all of the kids know that the parents are watching them on Facebook so we see little or no activity from them and their friends now. They have all moved to Twitter and Instagram instead of facebook. That's where the drama is, and that's where they are misbehaving. I hear about it every day.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Yes I am. I always remember however that she can block things from my view if she wants to do I may not be seeing everything
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
maslex
DIS Veteran

I have two boys (17 and my youngest will be 16 in a little over month). I have been friends with them since the day they signed up with FB. They are also friends with their dad, grandmother, aunts, uncles, adult neighbors, etc. They knew it was our rule and they had no problem with it.

We also have no problem liking or commenting on their posts. Granted, it's not every one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
I will tell you though that when kids don't want their parents to see something, they go to Twitter or some other social media. When DD18 & her friends all planned to get tattoos last year, they planned & posted about it on Twitter instead. DD18 admitted that they go there to write about "other" stuff. Since she was a senior by then, I didn't have a problem with it.
And this is so true. My oldest son is on Twitter. I decided to pop on there one day just to check things out. I found him and noticed his language was quite colorful. No other family members are on Twitter. So atleast he keeps it over there and doesn't "offend" everyone else over on FB.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: