Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
No and I never have 178 45.41%
No, but I have in the past (or family did growing up) 30 7.65%
Yes, one 15 3.83%
Yes, several 85 21.68%
Yes and my family growing up did too 64 16.33%
Other (there's always an other) 20 5.10%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #106
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

I wonder if there is anyone from Ontario Canada that even knows if you are allowed a cancealed weapon if you are not in the military or police. I have no idea myself.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #107
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat View Post
I wonder if there is anyone from Ontario Canada that even knows if you are allowed a cancealed weapon if you are not in the military or police. I have no idea myself.
tigercat
I don't know either but on that note, in the US active military are not automatically legal to carry in public. They need the same license as civilians. There are also some communities that do not permit off-duty police to carry.
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #108
ImAllEars
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
More or less the same here for me in my 2 European countries.
I think my granddad had one for potting rabbits and I knew military who had them obviously in their job but no civilians

I also live in Europe and do not own a gun, do not know of anyone else who owns a gun and wouldnt know where to even purchase one??

ImAllEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #109
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4

That's as much a reason as any I haven't purchased any larger calibers, save for the hunting rifles. As easy as it is to burn through $10-15 worth of .22 shells, I'd need a second job to afford to shoot larger calibers on a regular basis
My sons Christmas gift was the apparatus and stuff for reloading his newest acquisition a .45.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #110
RC Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
tigercat
I don' t think so. Contact your local Chief Firearms Officer for more details.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #111
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercat
Why would so many people need to conceal a weapon all the time? Is where you live really filled with a lot of wild animals?
tigercat
Why is "need" the only reason for doing something? Most of what I do isn't a need, as I am sure is the case in your life too. That said, my nephew's has been used in several occasions to put down injured deer by the road, which is then donated to the local food shelter.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #112
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I married a Texan. My first exposure to Texas culture came on my first trip to visit my FIL. A neighbor had shot and killed a burglar a few days before our arrival. I said to my FIL that his neighbor was likely in for some legal headaches. My FIL said "no, he called the police, they came and picked up the body". About a year later, he sent me a newspaper clipping about a court ruling where the burglar's estate was ordered to pay the homeowner who killed him for damages the burglar did while breaking in, and for cleaning up after he was shot in their house. Only in Texas.
There are many states that use 'Castle Doctrine" in situations like this and have a no duty to retreat clause like Texas!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #113
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Why would so many people need to conceal a weapon all the time? Is where you live really filled with a lot of wild animals?
tigercat
For my husband it depends where we are going. If we are traveling by car for a vacation it comes with us (especially if we are traveling at night), camping, if we are going into the city for a game it comes with us but stays in the car, and just various places like that. He by no means takes it with him everywhere he goes.

Last edited by donaldlovesdaisy; 01-27-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #114
Gumbo4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
My sons Christmas gift was the apparatus and stuff for reloading his newest acquisition a .45.

I had all the equipment for a hunting rifle I used to have, but that wasn't something I shot all that frequently. Factory loads really improved right about that time and I ended up selling everything off. If I wanted to shoot something other than a .22 all the time, I'd probably have to gear up again
Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #115
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

I guess I was trying to figure out the why of it all. Is the States or certain States that dangerous to travel in? I am now getting worried about visiting the States. I was thinking of going on a cruise out of New Orleans but have heard how corrupt the police department is there so I am really not sure I will do it. I thought I would like to see it but the danger just seems so large. Especially after hearing about the guns. Yes you can go anywhere and there might be danger but this thread is really worrying me.
tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #116
Gumbo4x4

I would venture to say that 90 percent of he US is incredibly safe, 9 percent very safe and 1 percent kind of a war zone. Most folks who carry are worried about that 1 percent, or about the 1 percent spilling over into the other areas.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #117
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess I was trying to figure out the why of it all. Is the States or certain States that dangerous to travel in? I am now getting worried about visiting the States. I was thinking of going on a cruise out of New Orleans but have heard how corrupt the police department is there so I am really not sure I will do it. I thought I would like to see it but the danger just seems so large. Especially after hearing about the guns. Yes you can go anywhere and there might be danger but this thread is really worrying me.
tigercat
You will be fine in New Orleans there are just areas you need to stay clear of. I kind of think you have the impression that it is the wild Wild West here in the states which is very far from the truth!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #118
AnimalKingdomDVC
Earning My Ears

grew up with guns in my family, members of NRA, and will always be! oh and have been shooting skeet and reloading my own bullets since being a kid. My whole family has. Also bow and arrow...hand guns and hunting guns, and some antiques!

Disney College Program
~Spring 2013 Concierge~
AnimalKingdomDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #119
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
tigercat
Just like everywhere you could go there are shady areas. That is just common sense.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #120
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I married a Texan. My first exposure to Texas culture came on my first trip to visit my FIL. A neighbor had shot and killed a burglar a few days before our arrival. I said to my FIL that his neighbor was likely in for some legal headaches. My FIL said "no, he called the police, they came and picked up the body". About a year later, he sent me a newspaper clipping about a court ruling where the burglar's estate was ordered to pay the homeowner who killed him for damages the burglar did while breaking in, and for cleaning up after he was shot in their house. Only in Texas.
God bless Texas. Don't even think about breaking into our homes.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: