Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun?
No and I never have 178 45.41%
No, but I have in the past (or family did growing up) 30 7.65%
Yes, one 15 3.83%
Yes, several 85 21.68%
Yes and my family growing up did too 64 16.33%
Other (there's always an other) 20 5.10%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #61
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Yes.
DH has a shotgun and two revolvers. (sorry, I put pistols, but they are revolvers) He does "cowboy" shooting, hence the revolvers. He also has 8 or so Airsoft guns, ranging from pistols to sniper rifles. Those things look very realistic. He used to play on the weekends, with other adults, out in the desert (in Vegas) and then later, in the swamp/woods (FL).

I have a handgun.

DS has a .22 rifle. He started with a Daisy Red Ryder air rifle and no, he did not put his eye out.

We've all taken safety courses at the gun range we joined. All the guns (except the air soft/RR) are in locked boxes in a gun safe, unloaded. Ammo and cartridges/magazines are in another locked box in the safe.

Can't get any more ammo for it right now, though, so we haven't been shooting. All the sporting goods stores and Walmarts are staying empty. One employee told us that there are a couple of people that come in every day, and as soon as they put it out on the shelves, someone is buying it up!
DH found some at Shooters, but their current rule is "to buy ammo, you must buy a gun" and you can only buy 2 boxes! They are the only place in town with ammo!

For those who think that the only way to protect people is to get rid of "assault" weapons, watch this kid. He beats the "assault" weapon with a rifle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5PLnlRVqKQ

This kid shoots cowboy shooting, and was beating adults--competing as a kid. So, the adults changed the rules so he couldn't compete against them as a kid. Sooooo...he shoots as an adult. And beats them.

Last edited by Jedana; 01-25-2013 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #62
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Yes...We have a .40 handgun.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #63
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I voted 'Other'...

I do not own a gun but I want one.

I want to learn how to safely operate a gun and feel comfortable using one and keep it locked in a safe at home. Unfortunately, I feel less safe as the years go by. I'm only 28.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #64
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

Yes.

My dad always had a gun in the house as he was a police officer. I was taught about them very early on and never thought of them as a toy. I now have my own.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #65
Styx Fan
DIS Veteran

I chose no, never have in the poll...but that's not totally right.

We have a very old rifle or shotgun (I haven't looked at in many years) that my dad passed on to DS before dad died. It had been his grandfathers. Dad used it to hunt small game when he was young on the farm. It's in multiple pieces hidden around the house and we have no amo. I cherish this item coming from our Appalachian roots.

But I recently fired a handgun for the first time and enjoyed it. It was something I always wanted to try. We plan on purchasing a handgun in the very, very near future. For both target practice and protection.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #66
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
he might shoot his eye out!
Since he has been taught to use a high-powered rifle, I'm not too worried about him shooting his eye out with the BB gun.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #67
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

[QUOTE/]
Are you sure you have enough to hold the Zombie horde off until those with reservation show up to bunker down with you and ride out the Zombie apocalypse. [/QUOTE]

No...but I have been considering a flame thrower.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #68
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I grew up with shotguns, rifles and handguns. Later I was a police officer and owned several handguns of my own and never ever left home without one. Now I'm retired and feel no need to own one.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #69
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmi View Post
No, but it's very unusual in my country to own a gun, I don't know anybody who does. I wouldn't even know how to obtain a permit and I think it's very hard to get one.

More or less the same here for me in my 2 European countries.
I think my granddad had one for potting rabbits and I knew military who had them obviously in their job but no civilians

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #70
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I had a handgun when I lived on my own. I got rid of it when DS was about to be born. I didn't really feel like I needed it any more.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #71
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

I personally do not. My DH does. I think he has one. It is locked up. He likes to target shoot. He has a permit to carry concealed. He has had it for YEARS. Since before we got married, and we will be married 20 years this year.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #72
WebmasterKathy

Not Podcast Kathy, I'm the other one
Bring on the tequila and chocolates!

DISboards Administrator

Of course- this is Texas!

And so do my mom, my sister, my brother, my nieces and nephews, my cousins...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #73
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Deer rifle
Elk rifle
Shotgun
2 .22 rifles
.22 pistol

DD12 and I hunt, DW and DD7 plan to start hunting eventually. I'd like to get a large caliber revolver for deer hunting/protection in bear country. Would also like a defensive handgun, but really can't justify the expense.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #74
christineann
DIS Veteran

Yes, Remington 870. Beautiful gun, but I am going to get a revolver and obtain my CWP. My son became interested in guns at an early age, and we always follow gun safety rules in our house. He's a young police officer now, an excellent shot and often top gun in qualifications. Our officers also carry AR-15s (those who qualify). He has no problem with non-criminals owning guns as long as they are educated about guns and safety.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #75
wgeo
That's the kind of day where you can't open your mouth without a song jumping right out of it!

We don't own any and never will.

However I grew up in a family of hunters. We never had pistol style guns but all kinds of shotguns and BB guns. My "responsible" older brothers who had done gun safety classes and had many hunting trips were playing with their BB guns and I was walking home from the neighbors. One dared the other he couldn't hit me, so of course he tried and actually hit me in the leg! It didn't do any damage of course, but I sure played it up for the drama factor at the time!

DH me DS 10 DD 9

WDW Trips: 1982, 1987, 1994, 2011, 2012, 2014
Disney Magic: 2014
wgeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: