Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #991
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Train with this is mind to get your weekly mileage above your training for TOT. Also, be sure to practice a few night runs and how to eat leading up to the race.
Thx for the advice! I am actually using a program training for a half, that brings me up to a 12 mile long run, then back to 9 then 8 the weeks before the race. Do you think that sounds good? As a newbie, all advice totally welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Honestly, I don't do well after being on my feet for days, so I just can't hit a race immediately following a Disney vacation. But my recommendation in your case would be to limit time on your feet the day before and really try to stay off of them on race day; give your legs and feet time to rest before racing. I do tend to both shorten the distance and slow the pace on my short training runs while at Disney, for the same reason - my legs and feet are just too tired from so much walking and standing.
Uh, oh... this makes me nervous! Thanks for the honest feedback, regardless!! I think I'll build in more breaks than I had planned... wasn't really planning on taking it much easier the day before.

If I follow the program I have, I'll be doing three 3mi runs and one 8mi run while in WDW. My initial thought was to maybe knock these back to 2mi each and maybe 6mi for the long run (I'll have done a max of a 12mi long run 2wks prior)... or maybe eliminate one of the 3milers?

I know that I probably need to experiment over the next several weeks, but any feedback you all have would be AWESOME!!!

MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #992
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

I did Wine and Dine at the end of my visit last year and took all day of the race off. Big breakfast, expo and legs up (on a pillow) rest of the day. Have to admit I was tired and the Segway tour a day before probably wasn't the right thing to do, but since they cancelled them now, glad I did it!
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #993
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the info about the corrals - Now I am not so worried about that anymore.
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #994
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Train with this is mind to get your weekly mileage above your training for TOT. Also, be sure to practice a few night runs and how to eat leading up to the race.
I am now getting worried about my training schedule....and I still have to do night runs (maybe I will do them at WDW).....

I also have 8 nights prior to the TOT weekend at WDW plus I am doing the 4 night Disney cruise before that. I know I will be getting some training done on the ship and maybe one or two prior but herez my question -

I don't really like to run too much and so was training to walk the TOT. I have been doing around 15 min mile, 3x per week about 5-6 miles ea. I am not following any program but am thinking of doing a minimum of running next month prior to our going.

I know I can walk an 8 mile comfortably without training (we have a Great Aloha Run (GAR)/walk at the beginning of the year that I do like this cuz of the holidays)....but I wasn't going to increase my 5-6 mile trainings but sounds like I should....

suggestions? I guess I should start following a program as well as checking out the eating part - I don't usually eat at GAR or my trainings just drink - and I have a banana before and after the GAR...and then we eat breakfast after so I know I am gonna have to figure out the meals for the night run.

Just starting to freak out a little hearing about everyones journey and starting to worry that I won't make it : and will be swept off the course
Old 07-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #995
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post

I am now getting worried about my training schedule....and I still have to do night runs (maybe I will do them at WDW).....

I also have 8 nights prior to the TOT weekend at WDW plus I am doing the 4 night Disney cruise before that. I know I will be getting some training done on the ship and maybe one or two prior but herez my question -

I don't really like to run too much and so was training to walk the TOT. I have been doing around 15 min mile, 3x per week about 5-6 miles ea. I am not following any program but am thinking of doing a minimum of running next month prior to our going.

I know I can walk an 8 mile comfortably without training (we have a Great Aloha Run (GAR)/walk at the beginning of the year that I do like this cuz of the holidays)....but I wasn't going to increase my 5-6 mile trainings but sounds like I should....

suggestions? I guess I should start following a program as well as checking out the eating part - I don't usually eat at GAR or my trainings just drink - and I have a banana before and after the GAR...and then we eat breakfast after so I know I am gonna have to figure out the meals for the night run.

Just starting to freak out a little hearing about everyones journey and starting to worry that I won't make it : and will be swept off the course
I did the first 10 miler last year. It was my first run of distance. In my training I had never gotten over 6 miles. I'm relatively fit so I wasn't worried. Mile 5 I hit a wall mentally and almost took myself off the course. I was no where near the sweepers but was scared. I just kept reminding myself that every step was closer to the finish and when I couldn't run any more I walked. I finished and actually had a finishers time! I'm doing it again and and at the same pace as last time.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #996
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Uh, oh... this makes me nervous! Thanks for the honest feedback, regardless!! I think I'll build in more breaks than I had planned... wasn't really planning on taking it much easier the day before.

If I follow the program I have, I'll be doing three 3mi runs and one 8mi run while in WDW. My initial thought was to maybe knock these back to 2mi each and maybe 6mi for the long run (I'll have done a max of a 12mi long run 2wks prior)... or maybe eliminate one of the 3milers?

I know that I probably need to experiment over the next several weeks, but any feedback you all have would be AWESOME!!!
It may help ease your mind to hear that I really, really suffer being on my feet standing and/or walking slowly for long periods of time - much more so than most people I know. So if you typically don't, those pre-race Disney days may not bother you at all! But you won't know for sure until then, so... my best advice is to take things a day at a time; see how you feel each day and cut back as needed. I've gone into WDW trips with my training runs planned, but always allow myself the option of cutting them short or skipping them entirely, depending on how my body's doing. You'll already have put in the training work, so a few skipped runs won't hurt. I usually end up running something, even if it's short and/or slow, because, well... running at WDW is pretty nifty!

Quote:
Thank you for the info about the corrals - Now I am not so worried about that anymore.
I'm so glad! Honestly, the corrals produce more stress and anxiety in every race than they warrant. Totally not worth worrying about!

Quote:

It's such an individual thing, but for me, there's a chasm of difference in how 6-8 miles effects me vs. 9 and up. I don't know why, but that seems to be the cutoff point for me. (Oddly, that's not my wall, though; my wall hits between around 4-6 miles on every run, no matter the distance. ) Anyway, if you can comfortably do 8, you're probably in the clear, but if it'll ease your mind, I say go for 9 or 10 before the race, just so you know, y'know?

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #997
kramerzoo
Mouseketeer

Question about transportation...we are staying at Ploynesian. Does the monorail run after the race and after the Villians Bash? Or do we have to take the bus back to resort after everything TIA!!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #998
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkeliza View Post
I did the first 10 miler last year. It was my first run of distance. In my training I had never gotten over 6 miles. I'm relatively fit so I wasn't worried. Mile 5 I hit a wall mentally and almost took myself off the course. I was no where near the sweepers but was scared. I just kept reminding myself that every step was closer to the finish and when I couldn't run any more I walked. I finished and actually had a finishers time! I'm doing it again and and at the same pace as last time.
That is so cool that you had a finishers time! So I will just keep plugging, doing what I am doing and remind myself one foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
It may help ease your mind to hear that I really, really suffer being on my feet standing and/or walking slowly for long periods of time - much more so than most people I know. So if you typically don't, those pre-race Disney days may not bother you at all! But you won't know for sure until then, so... my best advice is to take things a day at a time; see how you feel each day and cut back as needed. I've gone into WDW trips with my training runs planned, but always allow myself the option of cutting them short or skipping them entirely, depending on how my body's doing. You'll already have put in the training work, so a few skipped runs won't hurt. I usually end up running something, even if it's short and/or slow, because, well... running at WDW is pretty nifty!

This is good advice! I don't think I am gonna do anything at WDW different than I usually would. I did recheck our schedule and find that I did (maybe unconsciously) lighten our plans for the day before - only doing the expo! not even a special dinner....

I'm so glad! Honestly, the corrals produce more stress and anxiety in every race than they warrant. Totally not worth worrying about!

Thank you - puts the mind at ease and the ability to concentrate on the training and actually having fun on the run!

It's such an individual thing, but for me, there's a chasm of difference in how 6-8 miles effects me vs. 9 and up. I don't know why, but that seems to be the cutoff point for me. (Oddly, that's not my wall, though; my wall hits between around 4-6 miles on every run, no matter the distance. ) Anyway, if you can comfortably do 8, you're probably in the clear, but if it'll ease your mind, I say go for 9 or 10 before the race, just so you know, y'know?
My wall is at 6 miles for the 8 so I am thinking I should be good. I will definitely try to do a 10 next month! Great advice...

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and tip and insight! Feeling better
Old 07-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #999
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to note that if you are hitting a "wall" before the 20 mile mark, it is a result of racing beyond your training preparation. You are running too far or too fast (or both) for your current level of running fitness. Please keep this in mind, as many runners have been badly injured by pushing themselves too far, too soon - or by not adequately training for a distance.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #1000
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
I just wanted to note that if you are hitting a "wall" before the 20 mile mark, it is a result of racing beyond your training preparation. You are running too far or too fast (or both) for your current level of running fitness. Please keep this in mind, as many runners have been badly injured by pushing themselves too far, too soon - or by not adequately training for a distance.
My wall is very much mental though. I've walked long distances with no problem and in the middle of a race even if I'm just walking I start to tense up. It is all because of my teenage years when I was constantly told ill never be able to run. My JROTC instructors, my dad, my track coach. They all said I was a hopeless case. Now that I've found Hal Hogan and the runDisney guy and have been following their plans I can do a 5 mile at a 12-13 min mile pace and 10-half marathon at a 15 min mile pace.

However this time around I am training a little better. I only have 10 weeks to train this time due to an injury but I'm sticking with it. I didn't even hurt myself running! I slipped in the shower after a run and tore a tendon in my foot, talk about luck haha. Now I'm all better and still gunning for TOT.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #1001
BuckeyeBama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My wall is very much mental though. I've walked long distances with no problem and in the middle of a race even if I'm just walking I start to tense up. It is all because of my teenage years when I was constantly told ill never be able to run. My JROTC instructors, my dad, my track coach. They all said I was a hopeless case. Now that I've found Hal Hogan and the runDisney guy and have been following their plans I can do a 5 mile at a 12-13 min mile pace and 10-half marathon at a 15 min mile pace.

However this time around I am training a little better. I only have 10 weeks to train this time due to an injury but I'm sticking with it. I didn't even hurt myself running! I slipped in the shower after a run and tore a tendon in my foot, talk about luck haha. Now I'm all better and still gunning for TOT.
Okay, I get it. Congratulations on your confidence. It will help in every aspect of your life.
BuckeyeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #1002
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My wall is very much mental though. I've walked long distances with no problem and in the middle of a race even if I'm just walking I start to tense up. It is all because of my teenage years when I was constantly told ill never be able to run. My JROTC instructors, my dad, my track coach. They all said I was a hopeless case.
(that guy is supposed to look sad and empathetic and sympathetic)
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #1003
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
(that guy is supposed to look sad and empathetic and sympathetic)
Thanks. Running is definitely helping me mentally. I just wish it wasn't so hot. I ended up joining a gym so I can train.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #1004
PrincessV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBama View Post
Perhaps we have different definitions of the term "wall." My "wall" hits around 4-6 miles and is that point at which I'm not particularly enjoying the experience anymore and would really like to just stop - the point at which the negative thoughts show up. But once past that, I'm faster, happier, in my groove and loving every minute. Given that I've run for years, have followed solid training plans for distance, and routinely turn in negative splits from mile 5 or 6 on (up to 14 so far), I definitely don't think it's a matter of not being fit or trained enough. That's just how my runs go; different for everyone, I'm sure.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #1005
PrincessV

Quote:
Thanks. Running is definitely helping me mentally. I just wish it wasn't so hot. I ended up joining a gym so I can train.
I hear ya on the heat - I ran outside last night because it was cloudy... 5 minutes in I wished I'd opted for the treadmill, lol! Literally felt like the air was thick. (Probably didn't help that I ran my favorite park - which is a wetlands preserve. )

I run Disney!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: