Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #916
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.
 
DisneyRunnerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Hi again, all! Quick question... anyone out there use this training program for a half marathon, or any slight variation on it? It's the one my sister uses and swears by (she's run several 10-milers and half's... I've run exactly NONE!):

http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-m...-training.html

I have never tried this one, but I did notice it is a 10 week program. If you have never run you might want to go with a slightly longer training program. Also, many 1/2 marathon programs top out at 10 miles and have a nice build up and cut back sequence. IMHO this one seems kind of agressive for a newbie.

I like Jenny Hadfield's plans - they have worked very well for me. This link will take you to a whole series of half marathon plans that are each designed for different styles/goals.

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/trainin...half-marathon/

Good luck - you may find like many others on these boards, that once you have done one half, you are hooked!
__________________
DisneyRunnerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #917
erinna
Mouseketeer
 
erinna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofthreeboys View Post
Is there anyone who will also run the Happy Haunted 5k early that morning?? Thoughts about doing this??
I did both the 5K and the 10 miler last year, and I'm doing it again. I'm following the same plan as last year:
the MK halloween party Friday night,
roll out of bed early Sat,
5K,
Brekky at Boma,
back to the hotel for pool time and disco naps,
10k
Par-tay!

This worked really well for me for getting the sleep I need and eating a big meal when I needed it.

Plusses: the medal was cute, I got a fun pic with the HM gravediggers, got a peek at some of the course I'd be traveling in the dark.
Minuses: not enough entertainment on course (I wouldn't be surprised if they fix this a bit) and I got my running shoes wet! (I'll bring two pairs this year)

I think that's about it. I'm happy to answer any questions, though!
__________________
erinna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #918
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
 
MickeyMinnieMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,769

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl View Post

I have never tried this one, but I did notice it is a 10 week program. If you have never run you might want to go with a slightly longer training program. Also, many 1/2 marathon programs top out at 10 miles and have a nice build up and cut back sequence. IMHO this one seems kind of agressive for a newbie.

I like Jenny Hadfield's plans - they have worked very well for me. This link will take you to a whole series of half marathon plans that are each designed for different styles/goals.

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/trainin...half-marathon/

Good luck - you may find like many others on these boards, that once you have done one half, you are hooked!
Very cool -- thank you -- I'll take a look at these!!

Right now, I'm finishing off C210K, currently doing 5 miles or so 3 times per week, and planning on a 10K in a couple of weeks. Did my first 5K race a couple of weeks ago.

I'm very interested in your opinion: do you think it's too much from my current level to 10mi in a 10wk program? I'm not married to ANYTHING at this point, and all opinions and personal experiences are VERY MUCH welcome!!

Thanks!!!u
__________________
FP+, you ask?


MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #919
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.
 
DisneyRunnerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 299

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
Right now, I'm finishing off C210K, currently doing 5 miles or so 3 times per week
The fact you are already doing 5 mile runs is HUGE! I misunderstood and thought you were starting from scratch.

That said, I don't think you should have a problem going to 10 miles in 10 weeks. As a matter of fact, if you look at the beginning half marathon run program from Jenny Hadfield that I referenced, you will see that at 5 miles, you are already on the 3rd week's long run.

That program is 14 weeks long and you hit 10 miles in week 12. Soooo, based on where you are, you could follow Coach Jenny's plan and hit the 10 mile run in 9 weeks - or even 8 weeks if you make your long run this weekend 6 miles instead of the 5 you have been doing.

I hope that makes sense! So the plan you posted would be in the same time ranges.

A personal preference for me are plans that do a couple of weeks where you build up, then a cutback week, then build up again until you hit your longest long run, then a taper down before the race. But I am 52, so I probably don't push as hard as some of the younger folks who may weigh in on your question.

In the end, it is what you feel most comfortable with that counts.

Kathy
__________________
DisneyRunnerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #920
MickeyMinnieMom
If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
 
MickeyMinnieMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,769

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl View Post
The fact you are already doing 5 mile runs is HUGE! I misunderstood and thought you were starting from scratch.

That said, I don't think you should have a problem going to 10 miles in 10 weeks. As a matter of fact, if you look at the beginning half marathon run program from Jenny Hadfield that I referenced, you will see that at 5 miles, you are already on the 3rd week's long run.

That program is 14 weeks long and you hit 10 miles in week 12. Soooo, based on where you are, you could follow Coach Jenny's plan and hit the 10 mile run in 9 weeks - or even 8 weeks if you make your long run this weekend 6 miles instead of the 5 you have been doing.

I hope that makes sense! So the plan you posted would be in the same time ranges.

A personal preference for me are plans that do a couple of weeks where you build up, then a cutback week, then build up again until you hit your longest long run, then a taper down before the race. But I am 52, so I probably don't push as hard as some of the younger folks who may weigh in on your question.

In the end, it is what you feel most comfortable with that counts.

Kathy
Thanks so much for the info AND the encouragement -- you're so kind!!

That makes me feel like perhaps this IS doable...

This evening I'm going to take a look at Coach Jenny's plans -- I like the idea of a buildup, then slight break, back up...

THANKS AGAIN!!!
__________________
FP+, you ask?


MickeyMinnieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #921
aawildcat
Earning My Ears
 
aawildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: verona, ny
Posts: 14

i am so excited to run 10 miles. to run in the park at night and being the 1st one is awesome. Need to train more. I just hope it cools a tad. 3 months left. woo hoo
aawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #922
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 47,107

Just worked out our flights in on the 4th. They get in so early that now we're thinking of the 5K; and when I say we I first meant hubby and son, but then I thought "why do they get to have all the fun?"

Which makes no sense of course, since I'll be having the "fun" of the 10m that night.

So now we're mulling it over.

DH is worried about the sweepers, as he's not a runner.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #923
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 3,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawildcat View Post
i am so excited to run 10 miles. to run in the park at night and being the 1st one is awesome. Need to train more. I just hope it cools a tad. 3 months left. woo hoo
Hey there neighbor! I live near Syracuse and my sister lives in Vernon. Small world. Good luck in your training and with the way our weather has been so hot lately, you should be ready for the humidity in FL in October. Happy trails!!
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR, 1/15-VWL

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #924
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 381

Yay...was able to turn in an official time. Hopefully that will keep me out of the back group. Its not a superfast time as I wasn't really able to train going into the 10k, its a very hilly course and there were 60k people on the course (well to be fair many had finished before I ever started ) but I got a time that they translated to 2:20 for this race.

Now its time to actually train so hopefully I can do better on this race to have an even better time to turn in for the Glass Slipper Challenge. I've decided I will do a combo of walking and running for all the races. Its what I did for the Peachtree 10k and I survived with no training for the last 6 weeks. So while I may up the running intervals or shorten the walking ones it was a successful plan so I'm sticking with it.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #925
belle032
Mouseketeer
 
belle032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
Hey there neighbor! I live near Syracuse and my sister lives in Vernon. Small world. Good luck in your training and with the way our weather has been so hot lately, you should be ready for the humidity in FL in October. Happy trails!!
That's so funny! I live in Waterloo, about halfway between Rochester & Syracuse. I was at Destiny USA to get gifts for a baby shower at the disney store the other day. And yes is has been hot! Definitely a small world
__________________
Me (27) & Fiance (25)


University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #926
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 3,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle032 View Post
That's so funny! I live in Waterloo, about halfway between Rochester & Syracuse. I was at Destiny USA to get gifts for a baby shower at the disney store the other day. And yes is has been hot! Definitely a small world
And smaller every minute! I was going to head to the outlets there Saturday but didn't make it. I need to get some more running gear and stuff for my first triathlon coming up. I'm sure it was mobbed being a holiday weekend anyway. Love Destiny but it's HUGE!

I've been trying to get out and run in the a.m. I'm not a morning person so it hasn't been working out so well.I run/bike after 5:00 when it's not so bad.

Nice to see another local and good luck with your training! I'm sure you will do great!!
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR, 1/15-VWL

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #927
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 821

Question about turning in the time - if I don't mind staying in the back of the pack (I will walk the whole way rather than run unless I get close to the sweeping time) will it be necessary for me to provide a time?

I have no 10k but an 8K next weekend and this will be the only timed event prior - so if I need a time, I gotta find one to enter in the next three months

thank you.
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #928
frisbeego
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post
Question about turning in the time - if I don't mind staying in the back of the pack (I will walk the whole way rather than run unless I get close to the sweeping time) will it be necessary for me to provide a time?
It is not necessary for you to submit a proof of time. If you did not submit a proof of time when you registered, you will be placed in the last corral.

From the runDisney site: "If you do not have a proof of time to submit, list "N/A" at the point of registration. If proof of time is not provided, you will be placed in the last start corral."

If you're at all nervous about the sweep, try to position yourself toward the front of whichever corral you're in. Timing for the sweep doesn't start until the last participant crosses the start line, so you might buy yourself a couple extra minutes by being near the front of the corral.

Hope that helps.
frisbeego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #929
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 3,062

Does anyone know which e-mail rundisney sent that has the code to get the discount tickets? I just read through a couple of mine and it's not in there, only a link to the site where I have to enter the code. I just booked my DS to join us on the trip yesterday so I wanted to get a 3 day ticket for him at the price that I already got ours for.

Or can I enter my info on the rundisney website somewhere? I tried confirming my registration on the site and it says that an e-mail will be sent to me.
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR, 1/15-VWL

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #930
belle032
Mouseketeer
 
belle032's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
Does anyone know which e-mail rundisney sent that has the code to get the discount tickets? I just read through a couple of mine and it's not in there, only a link to the site where I have to enter the code. I just booked my DS to join us on the trip yesterday so I wanted to get a 3 day ticket for him at the price that I already got ours for.

Or can I enter my info on the rundisney website somewhere? I tried confirming my registration on the site and it says that an e-mail will be sent to me.
My code was in the registration confirmation email that they sent when I paid. The email it came from was support@active.com Hope that helps!
__________________
Me (27) & Fiance (25)


University of Kentucky Alumna
belle032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: