Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 PM   #856
belle2211
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
Isn't it really cool when our runner body takes over and our brain butts out? Way to go!
Yes! My brain was too tired to think! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
That's great they you have cut down some time on your runs! And your plan makes total sense. Maybe I will alternate rest days with hill work or a 1 mile full out run. Thanks for the info!
Thanks! Although I'm not sure I'd take out too many rest days. My legs are definitely feeling the running every day thing, and I'm not sure it's in a good way. (no pain, just tired)
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 AM   #857
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysummer
Does anyone know what hotels are going to be host hotels?
For the experience Disney runners what things do you carry with you on the race?
When running should you move over to the left or right, if you walk to let the fast runners pass you?
The host hotels are posted on the rd site. I know All Stars, POR, POFQN YC/BC, Poly, and Caribbean Beach. Cant remember the others. *I just went back and looked at the site and there are quite a few options listed.

I won't be carrying anything with me for a 10 miler. For training runs longer than 8 I generally carry fuel in a spibelt and a handheld water bottle.

Move to the right and avoid any abrupt shifts to walking. Be sure there isn't someone directly behind you when you switch.

Last edited by swimfly; 06-13-2013 at 01:01 AM.
swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #858
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysummer View Post
For the experience Disney runners what things do you carry with you on the race?
My supplies include: iPhone/headphones in armband; Clif bar, Honey Stinger chews, money, car keys in waist pack, water bottles (handheld or on waistpack.) I try to go with the bare minimum I require - that's about it!

Quote:
When running should you move over to the left or right, if you walk to let the fast runners pass you?
Theoretically to the right, but be aware of your surroundings and follow the flow... many times in Disney races, I've found the left side walking and the right side running. And sometimes the middle's walking and the sides are running. I try to do my walking where the majority of walkers are already; don't be the sole walker in a group of folks trying to run!

Like swimfly said, try hard not to halt abruptly. I've worked hard to transition slowly from run to walk and walk to run; it's better on your body and gives folks behind you time to react. Also use your peripheral vision and check over your shoulder before transitioning to be sure there's no one right on top of you.

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #859
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysummer View Post
)
For the full Disney marathon this year I had my Nathan mini belt bag which basically only had space to fit my phone to take pics and vids and to contact family members.I also had one of those sweat rags with velcro so I could attach it to the belt bag.I also took $20 along with 5 GU gels,3 GU chomps and 4 bags of sport beans.I had just enough room for all these energy aids in my short pockets.For future runs I'm bringing the same things except the GU gels,chomps and beans are not going in my pockets as I found them annoying to run with,especially the first couple of miles with all of them dangling in my pockets.I'm still bringing them obviously but I've found a couple of zippered pouches that I can also attach to the belt bag to make the running easier.I had no need to bring water bottles as there were more than enough water and powerade stops along the way.All my other things like change of clothes, wallet and keys I left with family members,if running solo or the only others with you are also running you can leave them at the bag check,I probably wouldn't leave keys or wallet or anything else you can't afford to lose,extra shirt or shorts sure but not a wallet.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #860
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

Nobody has posted on here in 5 days? Hard to believe it!

I am running the last leg of my virtual "Dr. Who" 1/2 marathon today. I ran a 5k race and 10k race these last few weekends to start it out. And I am doing another 5k this weekend for the virtual diabetes run.

Anyone getting excited besides me about the TOT?! I just love Halloween, so going to WDW in the fall, I can't wait to see all the decorations. Still deciding on a costume. I don't know if tulle would bother me in the heat or not.

Last edited by Weluvdisny; 06-23-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #861
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Training has suffered the past 2-3 weeks due to a back injury. My upcoming 10k is going to be more walking than I had hoped as a result. Also trying to get ready for our 12 day cruise next month...and my guys (DH and DS6) are in South America for 10 days.

I did sign up for the Glass Slipper Challenge...not joining that group on here...too much drama! I read a few pages and it was just too much bit**ing.

I doubt I do a costume for this one...I'm just going to have fun and do what I can to not get swept.
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #862
rigsfhdgnv
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
Nobody has posted on here in 5 days? Hard to believe it!

I am running the last leg of my virtual "Dr. Who" 1/2 marathon today. I ran a 5k race and 10k race these last few weekends to start it out. And I am doing another 5k this weekend for the virtual diabetes run.

Anyone getting excited besides me about the TOT?! I just love Halloween, so going to WDW in the fall, I'm can't wait to see all the decorations. Still deciding on a costume. I don't know if tulle would bother me in the heat or not.
Started my tutu last week. The pieces are one yard long and don't droop enough to bother me. Also, I only got one yard of each color, so it won't be too terribly bulky.

I am also excited about WDW in the fall. I have never been at this time of year. Also looking forward to MNSSHP, bought my ticket for that back in May.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #863
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Yea for you - making your costume. My sister and I will probably run in black yoga pants and an orange shirt - no real costume.

She has started and I have just been doing stairs everywhere but no actual running yet -

I appreciate all the ideas - didn't think of bringing actual cash but $20 sounds good - so I don't like most of those "power" snacks and I have never run a night race but my usual routine is this for our 8 mile am walk: banana at the start; vitamin C at 6 miles and a banana at the finish, and then we go eat breakfast. Should this work do you think?

And what time should I eat my last meal? How heavy? Pasta? or anything.
I haven't found too much information about this and thought I had already asked it but can't find the answers. Thanks!
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #864
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMagicFan View Post
Yea for you - making your costume. My sister and I will probably run in black yoga pants and an orange shirt - no real costume.

She has started and I have just been doing stairs everywhere but no actual running yet -

I appreciate all the ideas - didn't think of bringing actual cash but $20 sounds good - so I don't like most of those "power" snacks and I have never run a night race but my usual routine is this for our 8 mile am walk: banana at the start; vitamin C at 6 miles and a banana at the finish, and then we go eat breakfast. Should this work do you think?

And what time should I eat my last meal? How heavy? Pasta? or anything.
I haven't found too much information about this and thought I had already asked it but can't find the answers. Thanks!
I had been thinking about that color combo, too.

I think that what works for a morning run might not work for an evening run. But since every person is different, most of what I read says that you should have some practice with running in the evening and seeing what your body needs.

I'm not sure that it covers it specifically, but have you looked aroud the rundisney site? There's a resident nutrition person on there with regular blog posts; what I've read there has been decently helpful, at least in general.

I"m lucky in that I'll have a time change that works to my advantage. I generally run in the later afternoon, and it'll be 7pm MY time when the TOT starts, so that really works for me to see what, well, works for me.

That said, I am obsessing over whether I should take part in Tonga Toast at 10:30am the day of the race, or if it will just be a lead ball in my belly all day that will negatively impact my running.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 06-20-2013 at 02:07 AM.
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #865
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=bumbershoot;48725675]I'm not sure that it covers it specifically, but have you looked aroud the rundisney site? There's a resident nutrition person on there with regular blog posts; what I've read there has been decently helpful, at least in general.[QUOTE]

Ah ha! I did not see the resident nutrition person - will go look again! Thanks.

I am very concerned about the humidity that everyone keeps talking about. So I am not so sure even running here at night would help me with that since our nights are nice and balmy

I am gonna try a evening run in August but for now - will stick to days since that is the hottest time here.

THANKS
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #866
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I had been thinking about that color combo, too.
Ohhh a tutu with black and orange - with glitter!! That would be cool!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #867
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

I was thinking of something like this for a skirt. Probably not a layer of black underneath. I think it would be too thick, so I would just mix all the colors. That and the fact that my waist is not the size of a kid's headband. Then a black tshirt with glow-in-the-dark fabric paint of a hidden mickey or other character on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxy9k8ayR1Q

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #868
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am very concerned about the humidity that everyone keeps talking about. So I am not so sure even running here at night would help me with that since our nights are nice and balmy
The heat scares me. I'm SO glad I've lost a bunch of weight, because I've gotten a lot *less* heat-sensitive, but I definitely lose electrolytes while I run. Others are at the Y on the treadmills with ONE sweat towel; I get 6 now for my 5+ mile runs. On the treadmill. With a/c and fans blowing. (if you read back in this thread, you know I've been having an obsession with finding the perfect gu/gel/beans/etc to help replace my electrolytes while I run!)

Quote:
Ohhh a tutu with black and orange - with glitter!! That would be cool!
And you'd leave a trail of glitter wherever you go.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #869
heart goes boOm
Mouseketeer

how do you get to and from the race if you are not staying at a host resort?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #870
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart goes boOm View Post
how do you get to and from the race if you are not staying at a host resort?
From the rundisney website (which is just awful when using Firefox, but much better with Safari, FWIW), in the Plan section when you look up the 10miler:

Quote:
Driving Directions

Guests not staying at a Walt Disney World® Host Resort will need to provide their own transportation.

Directions to ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex (Expo, 5K and Kids Races)

Take 1-4 to exit 65 (Osceola Parkway West). Take a left onto Victory Way and park in the main lot. Proceed on foot to the main entrance.

All information is subject to change.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: