Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #556
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post
I'm doing the Electric Run in Puyallup with a team of 10...my sis, sons, daughter, nephew, and friends (including my DD's high school choir teacher, lol)... we're all excited!
It was you who told me about it.

I think I'm sticking with doing the Sound to Narrows 5K run, and then I got the map for the Tacoma City 5K, Half, and Marathon and I will start running those routes, building up as I go.

Then I'll get into summer and see if I want to do more races, as I build up more and more to October.

October is also really expensive (not to mention the stuff I signed up for in January in faith that I'll get to the point of being able to do a Half!), along with the shoes and everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
OH! except shoes!!! THOSE have to come off my feet.
I'm developing a list of things DH and DS can bring me. My Crocs Athens, a bunch of cold water to dump on my head (and drink, of course), maybe some easy and simple clothes.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #557
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

I'll make a note to bring my Crocs and some cleaning wipes - it was so hot last year!

The Electric Run hasn't reached capacity yet.

Quote:
Last year I brought a change of clothes and cleaning wipes... however my running partner was not at all up for the bash..so we didn't go.... and so I didn't need to change or clean up. Honestly though... I think as princessV said... everyone is sweating running or not and the difference between someone who has ran and someone who has just stood out in the heat for hours probably isn't too much.... I will plan to bring some cleaning wipes more to get the salt off my face.... beyond that I won't worry too much. I will bring a change...just in case I am seriously gross. (after the phm...I was seriously gross ) After the ToT last year... not so gross so if we had stayed... I am sure i would have been fine just hanging out in my running attire. OH! except shoes!!! THOSE have to come off my feet.

How fun!!! I had wanted to so bad... and then got a tad scared. Now I don't even know if it is sold out or not..
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #558
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
OH! except shoes!!! THOSE have to come off my feet.
YES!!! Single best thing I brought for post-race was flip-flops.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #559
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki23 View Post
I'll make a note to bring my Crocs and some cleaning wipes - it was so hot last year!

The Electric Run hasn't reached capacity yet.
Good to know
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #560
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
YES!!! Single best thing I brought for post-race was flip-flops.
I totally agree about the shoes!! At the 1/2 in January I was lucky enough to grab a larger handicap POP (which I did not steal from a handicapped person, honestly!) that I used to change into. DH had my backpack with a change of clothes and my most important thing, my sandals!!

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #561
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

I am all signed up. This will be my first Disney run. I have been registered for the marathon for a while. That will be my first marathon. This seemed to be a good training run. I am doing a half a few weeks before and another half a few weeks after. Figured this would also be a good way to get a feel for how it will work in Jan.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #562
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Since we are talking about shoes after the race... this came as perfect timing!

I purchased a pair of Nike comfort sandals at the phm expo. I think I paid just about $40 for them. They are super comfy...

Well, today they are on sale at JcPenney.com

Using the code 4FRIENDS it brings them down to $16 before shipping and tax. Having them shipped to the store instead of home gives free shipping.

so I was able to get two (sizes and colors are running low though..) for less than the price I paid for one at the expo.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #563
willrunforwine
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE_TCR View Post
I am all signed up. This will be my first Disney run. I have been registered for the marathon for a while. That will be my first marathon. This seemed to be a good training run. I am doing a half a few weeks before and another half a few weeks after. Figured this would also be a good way to get a feel for how it will work in Jan.
Welcome! This was my first runDisney event last year (my first race ever, actually), and it was a blasteven with the oppressive humidity.

I also second all the thoughts on bringing comfy shoes (at the very least) to change into afterward. I brought flip flops and a lightweight dress last year. Quick, simple, and (most importantly), dry! =)

willrunforwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #564
Larrabe
Mouseketeer

Hey, everyone! Add me to the list of folks who can't wait to run the TOT! This will be my second Disney event with my running group. I'm so excited!

I really need to get on the ball and book our hotel room, though. Man, five years ago, I would have had everything super-ultra planned already, but now, I'm like, eh, I'll do it tomorrow! My inner commando is so ashamed.

Can't wait to get to know all you better!

My blog about running, writing, rejoicing, and runDisney! Run. Write. Rejoice.

Larrabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #565
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

And today I discovered that "adventure runs" are not for me. Did one with the family through roadrunnersports, and all I got was wet (raining!), cold (not warm!), and lost as heck in a town I do not know at all. And I reminded myself how much I dislike this one version of googlemaps vs the one I normally use.

The good news is that DS and I liked the running part. And will appreciate it very much a few months after the TOT race, when he and I do the 5K during the January marathon week, because they won't make us figure out where to go. Turns out...I like signs.

And I am now also hoping that it Does Not Rain during the 10miler. My feet aren't huge fans of being overly damp! Hope hope hope.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 04-19-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #566
Larrabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinFan View Post
This is what I have scheduled so far:

April 14 - Red Shoe Shuffle 5K
June 1 - Run for the Dream 8K (I'll probably walk this with DH)
June 2 - Run for the Dream 1/2 marathon (my first half!)
June 23 - Baltimore Women's Classic 5K

I think June may be a little race heavy
Awesome schedule, and I'm doing the BWC 5k, too! I ran it in 2011 and had a blast. Long, long lines for the port-o-potties, though! Are you doing the 8 week training program?

My blog about running, writing, rejoicing, and runDisney! Run. Write. Rejoice.

Larrabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #567
holleypie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrabe View Post
Hey, everyone! Add me to the list of folks who can't wait to run the TOT! This will be my second Disney event with my running group. I'm so excited!

I really need to get on the ball and book our hotel room, though. Man, five years ago, I would have had everything super-ultra planned already, but now, I'm like, eh, I'll do it tomorrow! My inner commando is so ashamed.

Can't wait to get to know all you better!
Hey, I "know" you! I'm not sure if we've ever properly interacted, but I know your work and recognized your photos. How's that for creepy? My name is Holly Nicole; we're facebook pals.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #568
PE_TCR
Disney Cruise Adict

I am shooting for my first marathon in Jan! I'm running thr WDW Marathon and this seems to work perfect into my schedule. Here is my running schedule for races so far.

4/21 Oshkosh 5K
5/25 Color Run 5K (Racine, WI)
6/15 Rock 'n Soul 1/2 marathon (Milwaukee, WI)
7/11 Storm the Bastille 10K (Milwaukee, WI)
7/20 Milwaukee Brewers Saussage Race 5K (Milwaukee, WI)
8/11 Color Run 5K (Milwaukee, WI)
8/24 Electric Run 5K (Racine, WI)
9/22 Biggest Loser 1/2 marathon (Racine, WI)
10/5 TOWER OF TERROR 10 MILER!
10/26 Skeleton Skamper 1/2 marathon (Racine, WI)
1/12 WDW Marathon

I am sure I will have some other races in there as well. I find the races keep me more motivated to keep up the training. It amazes me that the 5K races have become my fun off days/short runs. I would have NEVER thought that woudl be the case.
1996 All-Star Sports, 1997 All-Star Sports, 2000 Shades of Green, 2002 All-Star Sports, 2004 off site, 2008 All-Star Movies, 2009 Caribbean Beach and Wonder, 2009-10 All-Star Music,(Christmas-New Year Cruise) Magic and All-Star Movies, Alaska Cruise (Wonder) 2011, All-Star Movies 2012, Podcast Cruise 3.0 2012 Dream, 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo House) DVC, Tower od Terror 10 Miler (All Star Sports), 2014 Marathon Weekend (Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village), Animal Kingimdom (Jambo House) - Magic - Art of Anamation
PE_TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #569
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
And today I discovered that "adventure runs" are not for me. Did one with the family through roadrunnersports, and all I got was wet (raining!), cold (not warm!), and lost as heck in a town I do not know at all. And I reminded myself how much I dislike this one version of googlemaps vs the one I normally use.

The good news is that DS and I liked the running part. And will appreciate it very much a few months after the TOT race, when he and I do the 5K during the January marathon week, because they won't make us figure out where to go. Turns out...I like signs.

And I am now also hoping that it Does Not Rain during the 10miler. My feet aren't huge fans of being overly damp! Hope hope hope.
Ah... did you do the one up in Kent? I thought about it... looked...interesting. I am really trying to decide if those adventure/fun runs are for me. So the course wasn't well marked? I am glad maybe that I didn't decide to try it. Also... the rain.. yeah... a bit too rainy last night. (it was an evening gig, right?)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #570
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ah... did you do the one up in Kent? I thought about it... looked...interesting. I am really trying to decide if those adventure/fun runs are for me. So the course wasn't well marked? I am glad maybe that I didn't decide to try it. Also... the rain.. yeah... a bit too rainy last night. (it was an evening gig, right?)
Yep, in Kent.

the event started at 6. At 6 they sent out emails with links to googlemaps to those who had pre-registered. They also dropped the tarp off of a huge map. The maps showed locations where you could go to to get raffle tickets.

If I had stopped and really looked at the big map, if I had perhaps written things down on what the names of places were, or where they were, it would have been MUCH better. INtsead I relied on the googlemap. Unfortunately, the version they used isn't the one I have downloaded, and it kept rebooting and disappearing on me. So I had no idea where I was going, either on a map or with the name of the stores.

DH was walking it, DS was going with me, and he was interested in RUNNING. As was I, really. But most of the stops were right there in Kent Station, so the whole running thing was a bit silly.

What I should have done was note the locations of the faraway places, and just run to those places. Then come back in to Kent Station to get those raffle tickets before the end. But we ended up following the crowd. Silly silly me.

I'm still highly annoyed at the whole thing, and at my reaction to it all. I'm also annoyed at DS and DH, who had all the info that I did, but kept looking to me like I knew more (like Harry Potter in book 7, where Ron thinks he knows more than he does).

It's mainly an event to get together and run around Kent a bit, and to get raffle tickets and discover burrito places and Naked Pizza and maybe win some prizes.

Because it's a hunt, the only signs are outside the establishments giving out the raffle tickets. Otherwise you have to go by the map or your photo of the big map. More of a scavenger hunt. And I knew all this, but didn't know how I would react to it. turns out I really hate the feeling of being lost, and despite having the googlemap on my phone, I felt lost, especially b/c it kept rebooting.

Blah blah blah.

Eh, light of day and thinking of "go to far places first then come back", I realize that I could do it again, just with better expectations. Also, I discovered Redhook's Wit beer, which was quite delicious (they have a beer garden after). Also discovered my need for a waterproof running jacket. How convenient that a sporting goods store puts on the event, eh?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: