Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #256
Caitsmama
Closet Hannah Montana Fan!
am planning on getting at least one more

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa0505 View Post
There will probably be 2-3 MNSSHP's during that time.
I hope so! We have done MVMCP but never the halloween one.. i am so excited. We use to go to WDW a few times a year when i was married, but when we go for this race, it will 3 years since my divorce and me and dd have not had a trip together.. this will be my first one that i have paid for with my new career and on my own. I want it to be super special. Can't wait to come up with some great costumes!
Caitsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #257
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if my dh signs up and he can't run, if they can be transferred?
Spunky946 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #258
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky946
Does anyone know if my dh signs up and he can't run, if they can be transferred?
Disney states they're non-refundable and non-transferable and you can be prohibited from running future races if you break the rules. That being said, I've seen people selling bibs at the last minute for W&D and Princess.
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #259
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky946 View Post
You can apply for a deferment. Although, I believe there is a deadline to do so.
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #260
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

How much of Disney will you be visiting BEFORE the race?

I'm trying to plan our schedule out--
We arrive early (about noon) on Friday, and will leave early Monday afternoon.
While we're primarily there for the race, there's also the food and wine festival, MNSSHP, and just other general "Disney World" to see and do! I'm having a hard time figuring out just how much I should be trying to squeeze in without wearing myself out before the race.

Should we go to a park (likely Magic Kingdom) as soon as we arrive Friday...then rest on Saturday?

Or do you think a park early in the day on Saturday is "do able" without getting too tired?

What about going to ESPN to pick up the race packet? Should I plan to do that as early as possible on Friday, or will waiting 'till Saturday be better (especially if we plan to not go to a park Saturday?)

How long does packet pick up take?
Thanks!
VAfamily1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #261
MacClemsons
Mouseketeer

Read a good percentage of the posts but not ALL. Haven't signed up yet. This would be 1st race ever for me.
We have APs but this would be trip without kids. How inconvenient is it to stay in non-host hotel? We will have car. I don't want to pay $$$ for hotel. Right now there is no military discount for Oct.

Upcoming AoA May 14 SWW
Jan 14 Coronado 1/2 Marathon
Dec 13 ASMu, Oct 13 CBR ToT 10 miler, Sept 13 MNSSHP AoA Nemo Suite, May 13 Cabins, Apr 13 ASSports, Feb 13 POP, Jan 13 SOG
Sep 12 MNSSHP ASMovies, June 12 - SWW off property, Mar 12 SOG
Dec 11 POR, Sep 11 ASMovies
Dec 09 MVMCP ASMovies, Sep 08 SOG, July 03 Hilton DTD
MacClemsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #262
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I still need to register. I am thinking next week. I still don't see a bar, so i assume we are still under the 50% mark. I have a feeling that is going to jump up the closer to the end of march we get.
I ave absolutely nothing to base it on, but that's my feeling, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
None. Zero. Zilch. Mostly because this is just a weekend trip for me,not a full vacation, but also because past experience tells me my running suffers if I've been on my feet in the heat for days before the race. I'll arrive Sat., hit packet pick-up, get into my hotel and just chill - maybe hit the pool, perhaps see a movie, definitely try to nap.

Quote:
Just pick-up was pretty quick for me last year - I'd say no more than 10 mins, though over an hour by the time you add in travel time, walking from the parking lot, etc. It can get a whole lot longer if you choose to truly shop the expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacClemsons View Post
How inconvenient is it to stay in non-host hotel? We will have car. I don't want to pay $$$ for hotel. Right now there is no military discount for Oct.
Not at all inconvenient. I stayed at SSR, which was not a host last year. Rather than deal with parking at WWOS, I drove around the corner to POR, had dinner, and took the race bus from there. Going back after the race was no sweat, either - took the bus to POR and drove 5 mins to SSR. You may find a nice AP rate at a non-host, WDW resort. Might find a good one at a host resort, too!

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #263
kmchisholm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998

I'm trying to plan our schedule out--
We arrive early (about noon) on Friday, and will leave early Monday afternoon.
While we're primarily there for the race, there's also the food and wine festival, MNSSHP, and just other general "Disney World" to see and do! I'm having a hard time figuring out just how much I should be trying to squeeze in without wearing myself out before the race.

Should we go to a park (likely Magic Kingdom) as soon as we arrive Friday...then rest on Saturday?

Or do you think a park early in the day on Saturday is "do able" without getting too tired?

What about going to ESPN to pick up the race packet? Should I plan to do that as early as possible on Friday, or will waiting 'till Saturday be better (especially if we plan to not go to a park Saturday?)

Thanks!
May be lengthy, so i apologize. We're planning to arrive Fri afternoon through Wed (maybe Thursday). As always it will depend on the weather, but if there is a MVSHP Fri night we'll do that, if not expo (allow 1 1/2 for full round trip, always depends on how much time you want to spend at vendors). I learned my lesson by doing too much before W&D last year, so Sat will be breakfast and pool time, expo if we don't do Fri. However, it is only 10 mi (that sounds crazy) so if you take it easy, you could do park & shows Sat an. Just leave time for nap.
kmchisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #264
acpalmer
Mouseketeer

DH and DS (12yo) just registered. I will be cheering them on along with our younger DS (10). My mom (63yo) is also registered and plans to walk most of the race. She currently walks 5 miles every day at a 15 minute/mile pace, so I think she will be fine, as she is planning to up her training gradually from now until the race. We normally travel to WDW in June, so early October should feel NICE for temps and we know that going down to sea level (we live in Denver, my mom included) makes us feel so very strong and fit, LOL. DH and DS plan to run some/walk some.

We are excited to be there--just trying to decide how much park time we will do. We will arrive late Thursday night and leave Monday mid-morning, so could do some park time Friday, Saturday morning/early afternoon, and Sunday afternoon/evening. We're using our DVC points to stay at OKW.

acpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #265
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post

Just pick-up was pretty quick for me last year - I'd say no more than 10 mins, though over an hour by the time you add in travel time, walking from the parking lot, etc. It can get a whole lot longer if you choose to truly shop the expo.

Thanks! I don't really plan on shopping at the expo--I pre-ordered a pin, and that's really the only souvenir or gear I am interested in.

So it sounds like if we do arrive at POFQ about noon, take a bus to the expo to do packet pick up...we could still have a little time to hit magic kingdom for a few hours,then dinner at an Epcot restaurant? Great!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #266
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmchisholm View Post
May be lengthy, so i apologize. We're planning to arrive Fri afternoon through Wed (maybe Thursday). As always it will depend on the weather, but if there is a MVSHP Fri night we'll do that, if not expo (allow 1 1/2 for full round trip, always depends on how much time you want to spend at vendors). I learned my lesson by doing too much before W&D last year, so Sat will be breakfast and pool time, expo if we don't do Fri. However, it is only 10 mi (that sounds crazy) so if you take it easy, you could do park & shows Sat an. Just leave time for nap.
Thanks! I know what you mean about only 10 miles...one thing I figure...Sunday is typically my "long run" day--most Sundays I will run between 10-13 miles...Saturday night is date night for us...so usually when I run my long runs, it is after an evening of good food, a little too much wine...so maybe I can just consider myself well trained for running the TOT 10 miler, even with a food and wine festival
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #267
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i officially registered today.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #268
acpalmer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post

I did this race last year and LOVED it!! Yes it was HOT, but it was FUN!!!

So, who's in with me
Freepixie--I just saw in the 2012 MNSSHP thread that you did MNSSHP on Friday night and the TOT 10 Miler on Saturday night--we are thinking of doing this schedule this year. How did it go for you? Thoughts, feedback, input, etc.?

acpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #269
VAfamily1998
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpalmer View Post
Freepixie--I just saw in the 2012 MNSSHP thread that you did MNSSHP on Friday night and the TOT 10 Miler on Saturday night--we are thinking of doing this schedule this year. How did it go for you? Thoughts, feedback, input, etc.?
Oooo I am interested in knowing too!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #270
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Originally Posted by acpalmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 View Post
Oooo I am interested in knowing too!
It worked out nice for us I did not do the 5K, so we planned that on race day we would want to sleep in anyhow! So staying out late the night before helped force us to sleep in on the day of the race! Plus, I ALWAYS have the problem with anxiety/nerves the day before a race, so having a party helped to alleviate the stress and take my mind off of what I would be doing the next evening, helped me to "stay in the moment" you know?

Not sure if we are doing the party the same way this year too, we will have to see once they release the party dates and go from there

I will tell you that the Friday Halloween party was very crowded, it was a sold-out party, and one of the CM discount parties, but it was a BLAST!! Still nowhere near the crowds you see during the day!!

Definately doing a Halloween party again this year
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: