Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM   #226
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Some information "belongs to" the hospital and doesn't have to be "handed over" or shared, necessarily. It's not clear whether this would be one of these times.

It always amazes me how crystal clear people here are on HIPAA when medical and legal scholars still admit to at times being befuddled by it.

In the course of discussion and investigation, word often gets out.
I've been contacted regarding whether or not staff had legitimate reason to be in a patient's chart, it's always been made clear that it's a confidential matter.

The only patient information in a chart that I know of that isn't released to patients are incident reports. Research records may also be restricted in some cases, but that's disclosed to patients, and are kept separately from patient medical records.

Personally I don't care for the HIPAA rules and wish they would throw them out and greatly simplify them, but the government likes things complicated.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #227
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsToad View Post
I think it was true that not much was done by HHS and OCR in the beginning, but under HITECH, a 2009 act that strengthens HIPAA enforcement, I think enforcement may increase. Here is an article about some incidents and the results - the last example in the article may be the most similar to this situation (if the doc did snoop inappropriately). In addition, the article notes the severity of fines that can be assessed.
http://compliance.med.nyu.edu/news/d...ent-admissions
I am familiar with the HITECH Act. It clarifies some of the issues which were unclear before. (Though some still refer to it as being unclear. ) Regulators wanted something in place prior to national health care getting underway, for coordination, and they also want everyone to have electronic medical records in place in large part for tracking data. What I get from it primarily is that they want medical organizations to have strict policies, safeguards and training in place and if they don't they are subject to liability; and that although unauthorized access to a medical record in an organization - such as the situation in the OP - is addressed, they seem to be far more concerned about large scale data breaches. Penalties imposed seem to hinge in large part on whether safeguards were in place. And as previously, fines and/or discipline seems dependent on many factors; it's not always black and white. In the last example in the link above, it's funny how the doctor got priveleges suspended for two weeks but two other non-doctors got fired. That's the thing - it depends. But no, I don't think anyone would argue that inappropriate access to a medical record by a snooper is ok. I still don't know if we've discovered the answer of whether the hospital has to give up that information to the record holder (possibly); it does appear to have to be reported to the DHUS and I suppose record holders could get it that way if the hospital didn't want to give it directly. Curious to see how it works out for the OP if she comes back.

E-Med Records Privacy: A False Sense Of Security http://www.acluvt.org/blog/2012/11/1...e-of-security/

What is a Breach Under the HITECH Breach Notification Regulations http://www.americanbar.org/newslette...512_eisen.html

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013

Last edited by Pea-n-Me; 01-31-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 AM   #228
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

Yes the consumer absolutely has the right to get a list of who their health record was shared with and why.
So if there is an electronic trail of who accessed info they will have to tell.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 AM   #229
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I guess I am assuming every insitution functions like mine does, which I probably shouldn't assume.

In my institution they take possible privacy breaches very seriously. The Privacy Offier does their job in a confidential manner and does not discuss it in the cafeteria or with their work BFF. The people who need to be involved in the investigation are made very well aware of the importance of keeping the matter confidential for the reason stated above...you don't want to ruin someone's reputation by blabbing about a privacy investigation where you could find out that there is no breach.

Realisitically everyone involved in the investigation in any way is made well aware that if they breach anyone's confidentiality (patient, RN,MD or anyone else who may be subject to the investigation) by discussing the investigation outside of its "official" compact, that they are subjected to disciplinary action as well, up to and including termination.

It's pretty cut & dried that it's not information for the institution's "grapevine".
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #230
keetmommy
Mouseketeer

I hWope OP comes back soon and updates!
keetmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #231
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmommy View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #232
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetmommy View Post
Well, it will 2 weeks on THursday since she started the thread. She hasn't posted on the thread (or the DIS) since Saturday the 26th. My bets are on that she won't be updating...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: