Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #181
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
The son doesn't need to know.

No one besides the OP and the Privacy Officer needs to know.

UNLESS the ER doc mom actually did access the records, then I'm pretty sure the hospital will take over.

And I don't think the doc is automatically "guilty". In fact, I'm pretty sure that she would not risk her license and career to participate in high school drama. But it's easy enough to find out the truth and does no harm to anyone.
Ditto

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #182
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
This won't end well for her son, no matter what happens. Whether she approaches the mother, or whether she requests the records, or both, he is still going to be the kid that tattled to mommy. It's already out there that he is a "baby" and a "snitch." It's just going to keep snowballing. Unfortunately, that is how teenagers are.
Please explain how the request to the hospital gets back to the school? Will the hospital notify the hospital "Dr. Mom" works that OP asked for the list of who accessed the CT scan? Then you expect Dr. Mom to tell her DD "hey, OP asked for who accessed the records", then you expect DD to further pick on OP's son? Is that how you envision it happening.

Quote:
The issue I have, here, is that everyone automatically believes the mother did it, and is, basically, adopting a "guilty until proven innocent" stand. They are judging the mother (without knowing her) based on the actions of the daughter. Everyone is assuming this woman is some sort of horrible person, might she be? Yes, but she might also be a perfectly normal parent to a perfectly normal teen girl, who has no idea what crap her little princess is spewing at school.
Actually, I think people are saying "get the records". If Dr Mom isn't on the list of who accessed it, it's done.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #183
dbrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This won't end well for her son, no matter what happens. Whether she approaches the mother, or whether she requests the records, or both, he is still going to be the kid that tattled to mommy. It's already out there that he is a "baby" and a "snitch." It's just going to keep snowballing. Unfortunately, that is how teenagers are.

The issue I have, here, is that everyone automatically believes the mother did it, and is, basically, adopting a "guilty until proven innocent" stand. They are judging the mother (without knowing her) based on the actions of the daughter. Everyone is assuming this woman is some sort of horrible person, might she be? Yes, but she might also be a perfectly normal parent to a perfectly normal teen girl, who has no idea what crap her little princess is spewing at school.

I get everyone's desire to always defend and believe your kids. I get feeling angry because your kid is hurt. As a parent, I would hope that another parent would give me the benefit of the doubt and have enough respect for me, as an adult and parent, to have a civilized discussion. I know on the Dis there is a higher than average percentage of gifted and perfect children, but having been a teenaged girl, and having a teenaged girl, I know how they can be. I would hope that a reasonable parent wouldn't, automatically, assume I was a horrible person based on my teenaged girl, acting like a teenaged girl. Just think how you (general you) would like to be treated in this situation. I would much rather a parent approach me, than make trouble on my job.

There are 3 sides to every story, this one included. What the OP's son says, what the girl says, and the truth, which is probably somewhere in between the 2 stories.
I don't think everyone here is assuming she is "guilty until proven innocent". They've simply suggested a way that she can be certain of the truth. Asking the privacy officer to investigate the validity of the rumor isn't dragging the physician's name through the mud. If the privacy officer is any kind of privacy officer, it will be handled in a confidential and professional manner, either reassuring the OP that her son's information wasn't accessed/disclosed inappropriately, or taking appropriate action if it did happen.

It's possible that the doc looked at the record - stranger HIPAA violations have occurred - there's no rhyme or reason to why people decide to snoop, even people with a lot to lose. I can also see where the daughter may have exaggerated some comment her mom made and implied her mother had knowledge that she just didn't have. The best way, and most impartial way, to find out the truth, in my opinion, would be to let the privacy officer handle it.
dbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #184
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
The son doesn't need to know.

No one besides the OP and the Privacy Officer needs to know.

UNLESS the ER doc mom actually did access the records, then I'm pretty sure the hospital will take over.

And I don't think the doc is automatically "guilty". In fact, I'm pretty sure that she would not risk her license and career to participate in high school drama. But it's easy enough to find out the truth and does no harm to anyone.
Oh, I'm fairly certain the son already knows. The OP has said he is "upset about her viewing the records." I'm sure human nature, being what it is, the OP has already informed her son, if he didn't already know, that people can't just access records. ...an I'm also sure, teens being what they are in real life, but of course NEVER on the Dis, that there has been a lot of back and forth and gossip and talk among the parties.

It's a big peeing match and adults have allowed themselves to be drug into children's drama. "My mom saw the records you're a baby and faking it." "She's no allowed to look at the records, she could lose her job, we are going to report it." I know everyone will swear their angel didn't or wouldn't or couldn't feed into the drama, but i'm pretty sure, being all normal kids, it's going back and forth.

...and as I said before, what I would hope, as a reasonable adult, is that if my little princess were going around saying crap that could make me lose my job someone would step up and inform me, not just take the attitude that I get what I deserve because my child is acting like a little witch, and that must, somehow, be my fault.

Sometimes the best way to end drama is to just let it die, and let the kiddies move on to this week's drama.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #185
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Oh, I'm fairly certain the son already knows. The OP has said he is "upset about her viewing the records." I'm sure human nature, being what it is, the OP has already informed her son, if he didn't already know, that people can't just access records. ...an I'm also sure, teens being what they are in real life, but of course NEVER on the Dis, that there has been a lot of back and forth and gossip and talk among the parties.

It's a big peeing match and adults have allowed themselves to be drug into children's drama. "My mom saw the records you're a baby and faking it." "She's no allowed to look at the records, she could lose her job, we are going to report it." I know everyone will swear their angel didn't or wouldn't or couldn't feed into the drama, but i'm pretty sure, being all normal kids, it's going back and forth.

...and as I said before, what I would hope, as a reasonable adult, is that if my little princess were going around saying crap that could make me lose my job someone would step up and inform me, not just take the attitude that I get what I deserve because my child is acting like a little witch, and that must, somehow, be my fault.

Sometimes the best way to end drama is to just let it die, and let the kiddies move on to this week's drama.
The OP's son is upset because of what the girl told him. Heck, I'd be upset if someone told me someone was mucking around my medical records.

It seems like you aren't extending the same benefit of the doubt to the op, that you give to the mom doctor.

What matters is did the girl tell the truth. No harm in finding out.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #186
badblackpug

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAnnie View Post
The OP's son is upset because of what the girl told him. Heck, I'd be upset if someone told me someone was mucking around my medical records.

It seems like you aren't extending the same benefit of the doubt to the op, that you give to the mom doctor.

What matters is did the girl tell the truth. No harm in finding out.
Actually, I think the son is more upset that he is being picked on and that someone offered "proof" that made maybe even more people believe the opposing side. ...but... what I meant was based on the fact that that the son is upset that someone looked in his medical records, I am pretty sure that he already knows that looking in someone's medical records is a big no-no.

I have to go with what sounds logical. To me, it sounds more logical that this is a bunch of kids being dramatic and acting like fools. Again, as a parent I would want someone to give me the benefit of the doubt, as I would them. I work in the ER, I have for years, the facts don't add up. I've never heard a doc use the term "medical concussion." I've never heard that term, period. As an ER doc, she would also know that no "scarring" would show up on a CT scan of a concussion, ever, so she wouldn't expect to see that. She would also know what the treatment recommendations would be for a concussion. It just sounds like a lot of childish bragging and teasing to me.

To be quite honest, all things considered, I would just let it go, but that's just me. My thought on the matter is someone may have looked at a digital image of my kid's brain (some days I'm not sure one exists) It wasn't like they said he had an STD or something. I would just let it go in the interest of ending all this drama. I would be like, "Look it's over, it's done. The boy got his punishment, let's move on, she's just trying to get your goat, rise above and ignore it."
Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #187
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

badblackpug, are you a doctor? Or is your DH? I know I have read it somewhere and I think you are projecting on this thread because you can easily put yourself in the shoes of this Dr.Mom (either way--whether it is you or your DH)--esp. having a teenaged girl.

I understand what you are saying in people thinking the worst and why would the Dr. Mom risk her hard earned education etc. etc. etc. but, honestly, while you (or your DH) wouldn't do such a thing, many have expressed here that people do it. Co-workers, friends, and clients--some of the nicest people I know, actually have confessed to this in my chair. It does happen and for whatever reason, people will put themselves at risk out of curiosity. It is too bad that they will do that when they know the rules.

Hopefully she is innocent. Hopefully this daughter is just running her mouth and maybe the OP's son is being overly sensitive to his peers comments...who knows. But if the Dr. Mom did what the daughter said she did, then she deserves the consequences. The daughter will need to know that you can't run around saying such things if they aren't true or she will learn that her big mouth got her mother in BIG trouble.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #188
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
To me, the teen girl saying "the CT didn't show scarring" is what makes me think she did possibly hear something from the mother. MAYBE.
But that's the thing - you will not see "scarring" on a CT for a concussion, particularly on the first day. You really won't see much of anything unless there is a fracture or bleed present. This is very well documented, and a physician would know that. So to me it sounds more like what a teenager would say than what a medical doctor would say.

http://childrenshospitalblog.org/are...g-head-injury/

(Other than that I really don't know what you guys are talking about right now and I don't have it in me to go back and read the whole thread. )

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #189
badblackpug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
badblackpug, are you a doctor? Or is your DH? I know I have read it somewhere and I think you are projecting on this thread because you can easily put yourself in the shoes of this Dr.Mom (either way--whether it is you or your DH)--esp. having a teenaged girl.

I understand what you are saying in people thinking the worst and why would the Dr. Mom risk her hard earned education etc. etc. etc. but, honestly, while you (or your DH) wouldn't do such a thing, many have expressed here that people do it. Co-workers, friends, and clients--some of the nicest people I know, actually have confessed to this in my chair. It does happen and for whatever reason, people will put themselves at risk out of curiosity. It is too bad that they will do that when they know the rules.

Hopefully she is innocent. Hopefully this daughter is just running her mouth and maybe the OP's son is being overly sensitive to his peers comments...who knows. But if the Dr. Mom did what the daughter said she did, then she deserves the consequences. The daughter will need to know that you can't run around saying such things if they aren't true or she will learn that her big mouth got her mother in BIG trouble.
I am an ER nurse, my husband is a hematologist/oncologist. As I just explained, the facts don't add up. The terminology doesn't fit, the CT "findings" don't fit. It doesn't ring true to me. I also have a teenager and I do know how they can act, and I will freely admit that mine, in the very least is not above a little embellishment to earn points.

Do people look into people's records that aren't authorized to do it? Every day. I have seen all kinds of people get fired for it. Docs, nurses, registration, secretaries. In this case, given the info the OP did, it doesn't ring true to me. To me it seems like a kid trying to get another kid's goat.

Again, yes, the daughter needs to know how serious of an accusation this is, which is why I would approach the mother on a personal basis. If something didn't seem genuine about the mother, or she seemed cagey or hostile, I might take it from there.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #190
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

I can't believe this debate is still raging. Does anyone actually know what OP decided to do?
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo!

ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #191
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Do people look into people's records that aren't authorized to do it? Every day. I have seen all kinds of people get fired for it. Docs, nurses, registration, secretaries. In this case, given the info the OP did, it doesn't ring true to me. To me it seems like a kid trying to get another kid's goat.

Again, yes, the daughter needs to know how serious of an accusation this is, which is why I would approach the mother on a personal basis. If something didn't seem genuine about the mother, or she seemed cagey or hostile, I might take it from there.
It doesn't matter if it doesn't ring true, HIPPA is set up so that one can KNOW the truth. As someone not in the medical field, I am thankful that there is a way I can find out the truth without having to create personal drama with some other parent, or get in the middle of her and her dd's business.
If its true, then doc mom faces the consequences, if its not true then no harm done.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #192
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebtbmom View Post
I can't believe this debate is still raging. Does anyone actually know what OP decided to do?
It's up thread a few pages. The OP is going to follow up with the Privacy Officer.

Quote:
Actually, I think the son is more upset that he is being picked on and that someone offered "proof" that made maybe even more people believe the opposing side. ...but... what I meant was based on the fact that that the son is upset that someone looked in his medical records, I am pretty sure that he already knows that looking in someone's medical records is a big no-no.

I have to go with what sounds logical. To me, it sounds more logical that this is a bunch of kids being dramatic and acting like fools. Again, as a parent I would want someone to give me the benefit of the doubt, as I would them. I work in the ER, I have for years, the facts don't add up. I've never heard a doc use the term "medical concussion." I've never heard that term, period. As an ER doc, she would also know that no "scarring" would show up on a CT scan of a concussion, ever, so she wouldn't expect to see that. She would also know what the treatment recommendations would be for a concussion. It just sounds like a lot of childish bragging and teasing to me.

To be quite honest, all things considered, I would just let it go, but that's just me. My thought on the matter is someone may have looked at a digital image of my kid's brain (some days I'm not sure one exists) It wasn't like they said he had an STD or something. I would just let it go in the interest of ending all this drama. I would be like, "Look it's over, it's done. The boy got his punishment, let's move on, she's just trying to get your goat, rise above and ignore it."
Quote:
I am an ER nurse, my husband is a hematologist/oncologist. As I just explained, the facts don't add up. The terminology doesn't fit, the CT "findings" don't fit. It doesn't ring true to me. I also have a teenager and I do know how they can act, and I will freely admit that mine, in the very least is not above a little embellishment to earn points.

There is ALOT of conjecture thrown in with what "seems logical" to you. You are filling in holes with stuff you have no idea about. None of us do. I don't think that is fair to the OP or her son.

I understand your situation puts you close to the subject matter, but really it comes down to the OP wanting to know in order to protect her son's medical records, not drama. How is that not acceptable to you? I don't get it. You give the benefit of the doubt entirely to the doctor mom and none to the OP or her son.

The situation described by the OP is exactly why HIPPA came into existence. HIPPA protects patients.

Why is finding out such a huge deal? There have been many posters stating the OP can do so discreetly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
It doesn't matter if it doesn't ring true, HIPPA is set up so that one can KNOW the truth. As someone not in the medical field, I am thankful that there is a way I can find out the truth without having to create personal drama with some other parent, or get in the middle of her and her dd's business.
If its true, then doc mom faces the consequences, if its not true then no harm done.
Exactly.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #193
MScott1851
Got a link for those Trip Reports? ;)
Type A Travel Planner
I'm a complete sucker for a drop dead gorgeous dress and strappy heels

You know, ts fairly easy and common here for ER personnel (nurses and MD) to access records from other ERs in town. We have what is called MidSouth E-Health Alliance, and we all furnish info to it, mostly in real time. That way, when someone comes in wearing another ER armband, I can look it up and say, "no, you were x-rayed today at the Med, it was negative, and the MD gave you two RX at 11am." Or the patients who hop from ER to ER for primary care? It keeps us from repeating unnecessary tests and gives us a clearer clinical picture, hopefully to provide better continuity of care. All of the ER's in town pretty much use it.

Plus, there are always consulting docs around who have access to other facilities' inpatient records. If we have patients who can only tell us that they had a test done in the hospital at XYZ last month but can't remember what it was it why, usually the doctor will access those records just to provide better care. In emergency situations, it happens, too. I had an unreponsive pt with a very suspicious EKG come in via EMS on Thursday. Never been to my ER, so no records. One pill bottle had a cardiologist's name on it, so I called him at home,he looked the pt up and faxed me a copy of an old EKG, and the pt went to the cath lab, probably saving his life.

So, I'm not sure why people think its so far fetched and difficult to access people's health info. Patients sign a form when they arrive giving me permission to use other facilities data, it's all electronic, and voila! The days of faxing things to medical records and waiting for hours are dying,thank goodness.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #194
Acklander
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree, it probably is a bunch of kids being fools - its what kids do best. But in all this foolishness one kid stated her mom broke the law. So, yes, that needs to be followed up on. Worst case scenario - the mom actually did break the law and has to face the repercussions of it. Best case scenario, the girl made it up and someone explains to her that she cant spread lies about how someone is breaking the law when they aren't. Either way, you can't just let it go.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #195
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScott1851 View Post
You know, ts fairly easy and common here for ER personnel (nurses and MD) to access records from other ERs in town. We have what is called MidSouth E-Health Alliance, and we all furnish info to it, mostly in real time. That way, when someone comes in wearing another ER armband, I can look it up and say, "no, you were x-rayed today at the Med, it was negative, and the MD gave you two RX at 11am." Or the patients who hop from ER to ER for primary care? It keeps us from repeating unnecessary tests and gives us a clearer clinical picture, hopefully to provide better continuity of care. All of the ER's in town pretty much use it.

Plus, there are always consulting docs around who have access to other facilities' inpatient records. If we have patients who can only tell us that they had a test done in the hospital at XYZ last month but can't remember what it was it why, usually the doctor will access those records just to provide better care. In emergency situations, it happens, too. I had an unreponsive pt with a very suspicious EKG come in via EMS on Thursday. Never been to my ER, so no records. One pill bottle had a cardiologist's name on it, so I called him at home,he looked the pt up and faxed me a copy of an old EKG, and the pt went to the cath lab, probably saving his life.

So, I'm not sure why people think its so far fetched and difficult to access people's health info. Patients sign a form when they arrive giving me permission to use other facilities data, it's all electronic, and voila! The days of faxing things to medical records and waiting for hours are dying,thank goodness.
As I understand it though, the OP's son was seen at "Hospital X". Teen Girl's "Dr. Mom" works in the ER at "Hospital Y". According to Teen Girl, "Dr. Mom" accessed the records of "Hospital X". As far as we know, she didn't have a reason to do so. It's not like OP took her son to "Hospital Y" because she didn't like the treatment at "X". It is possible a doctor at Hospital X asked Dr. Mom for a consult(?), but to me, that would be strange... why not ask a doctor at the same hospital?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: