Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #136
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookie View Post
I think that depends on the hospital. Most places would contact her because she deserves to know what has happened for risk management purposes. She may not know the details of your child or your name however.

I think that if you are going to go through with contacting the hospital, to expedite the process - you need to be brave enough to just call out the name of the person you are accusing so it can be taken care of once and for all. No dancing around it.
It has nothing to do with bravery. It also has nothing to do with accusing anyone. I would think the OP would be smart enough not to accuse someone of something without having proof.

It has to do with asking the hospital for a list of people who accessed the child's medical record. There is absolutely no need whatsoever to say "I'd like to see if ER MD Mom looked at my son's record". If the hospital presses and asks why she wants the information, the simple response is "because I'd like to see who accessed my son's record". They cannot refuse to give you the information. They certainly might try and worm it out of the OP, but the OP should be prepared to just keep repeating "I'd like to see who accessed my son's record". Period end of discussion.

Again, if the ER MD mom did NOT access the record, then the hospital would not be contacting her because her name would not be in any way associated with the record. The people on the list might be contacted...ie-"Mrs OP wants a list of who looked at her son's medical record, do you know of any issue?" but anyone who was directly involved in his care and needed to look at the record has nothing to fear.

Really people, this isn't as sinister or as complicated as you're all making it.

Get the list of who looked at the record.

If ER MD Mom's name is on the list then the next decision needs to be made as to reporting it to the authorities or speaking directly to ER MD Mom.

If ER MD Mom's name is not on the list, the matter is closed unless the OP decides to have the guidance counselor speak to the child with regard to how blabbing that her mother looked at someone's record without authorization (when Mom didn't) can get Mom into a lot of trouble.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #137
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyoffive View Post
If the OP requests to see who accessed her son's records and it is a small community, it will get around. If life is tough for OP's son now, imagine adding that inquiry into it. The OP is free to do whatever she feels is right, not exactly sure what the OP's ultimate goal is. If the hearsay is wrong and the OP's actions are revealed to the doctor/parent, the OP will have to live with the consequences.
Now how would that possibly get around? And who would care anyway? "Gee Bobby's mom asked to see his medical record & who has looked at it". Really? People are saying a doctor has better things to do than look up some kids record, but you think the "community" has nothing better to do than gossip about her family? Maybe in Mayberry in the 60s, but 2013, I don't think so.

Op, I think you are making the right decision. Ask for the list & go from there. If for no other reaon than to put your son's mind at ease.

And as a nurse in a hospital, I'll say I believe it could have happened. there have been a few high profile medical cases in our city. Medical professionals have been found to have accessed or tried to access those records. And suffered the consequences.

Good luck & please, come back & let us know what you find out. I'm sure we're all gonna be interested in the outcome.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #138
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Something to consider OP...

Do you know "Dr. Mom's" name? She may or may not be using the last name of the DD spreading the rumors. Just something to keep in mind as you look at the list.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #139
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

I haven't seen this addressed any where yet. Does the HIPPA law even allow the OP to see who has viewed her son's records? I know that with our doctors office (multi doctor/office health care system) we have an online system where we can make appts, check test results, leave messages for doctor, request prescription refills, etc. My DD13's acct was disabled once she turned 13 due to HIPPA. Once she turns 18, she can have an acct again. Trust me I went round and round with them on it, it's crazy. It's all due to privacy.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #140
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caropooh View Post
I haven't seen this addressed any where yet. Does the HIPPA law even allow the OP to see who has viewed her son's records? I know that with our doctors office (multi doctor/office health care system) we have an online system where we can make appts, check test results, leave messages for doctor, request prescription refills, etc. My DD13's acct was disabled once she turned 13 due to HIPPA. Once she turns 18, she can have an acct again. Trust me I went round and round with them on it, it's crazy. It's all due to privacy.
The privacy is to protect the patient, it is not to protect the staff.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #141
Caropooh
POO, are you? POO POO, POO POO!
I LOVE wiggling my kids teeth!
Drives a braille van

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
The privacy is to protect the patient, it is not to protect the staff.
Exactly, I understand that. That's why I asked if they the hospital would even release information to the mother. Her son is between 13 and 18, which is the age our doctors practice does allow the online access for us. They still have the electronic records in the practice for DD though.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 PM   #142
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Exactly, I understand that. That's why I asked if they the hospital would even release information to the mother. Her son is between 13 and 18, which is the age our doctors practice does allow the online access for us. They still have the electronic records in the practice for DD though.
They aren't giving her medical information and they would likely just give it to her, but if not, her son just needs to sign a form to give the okay.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #143
JusbKoz
Mouseketeer

Like I said prior this Mother/ doctor could of see easily seen your sons ct report with out it ever being "on record" so getting access to see who looked at his records may not give you the whole truth.
There are numerous ways to do this and by what you said about how this mother/doctor said it "wasn't a medical concussion" sounds like this mother/doctor looked at your sons ct report only and not the physical exam report the er doctor did on your son to get the mild concussion diagnosis.
I will second the idea a previous poster about going to the schools counselor for your son. Then I would talk/report this to some one at the hospital your son went to and not the hospital this mother/doctor works at.
JusbKoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #144
dbrn
Mouseketeer

I think the best way to handle it would be to let the Privacy Officer handle it - give him/her all the information about why you suspect there was a breach, who you think committed the breach, and what was said. That's the best way for the Privacy Officer to determine what happened. That individual is not going to gossip to others about the concern, and the doctor won't be notified unless it's necessary to delve further into the investigation beyond an audit report. If you don't tell him/her the concern, you limit what he/she can do to help you. There will be no stigma for the doctor if she did nothing wrong; she'll probably never know about it. If she did, there are consequences that she's already well aware of.

It is crazy to think that someone would risk so much to look at a patient's record, but there are a lot of individuals who have been fired, sued, fined thousands of dollars, and even jailed for what amounts to curiosity and snooping.
dbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #145
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblackpug View Post
I still seriously doubt it happened, but if you do find out it isn't true, I would contact the mother. Very likely, she doesn't know her daughter said this, and very likely, the daughter doesn't understand HIPAA or realize how damaging something like this could be to her mother's reputation. The mother should, at least, have the opportunity to have a dialogue with her daughter about spouting off at the mouth.
The mother shouldn't be punished for her daughter doing something that is very typical of dramatic teen girls, that she, probably, had no knowledge of.
Wait, you seriously think that if the OP finds out the dr. mom did look at her ds' records she should contact the dr. mom so she can have a talk with her own dd about ruining her rep? If that is what you are saying, then the Dr. mom should have known in the first place to 1) not look at the OP's ds' record and 2) not to say anything about them to her dd. Why should the OP concern herself with those people and the dialogue they should be allowed to have?

OP, contact the hospital. You have the legal right to see who accessed those records. If it turns out that the dr mom did, you requesting those records will not be the cause of anything that happens to her for accessing them. Good luck
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #146
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Wait, you seriously think that if the OP finds out the dr. mom did look at her ds' records she should contact the dr. mom so she can have a talk with her own dd about ruining her rep? If that is what you are saying, then the Dr. mom should have known in the first place to 1) not look at the OP's ds' record and 2) not to say anything about them to her dd. Why should the OP concern herself with those people and the dialogue they should be allowed to have?

OP, contact the hospital. You have the legal right to see who accessed those records. If it turns out that the dr mom did, you requesting those records will not be the cause of anything that happens to her for accessing them. Good luck
No. Pug said the OP should contact Dr. mom if she finds out the doc DID NOT access her son's record.

Last edited by Jennasis; 01-27-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Jennasis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #147
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
No. Pug said the OP should contact Dr. mom if she finds out the doc DID NOT access her son's record.
I understand why Pug said it. But I would let the school guidance counselor handle it. No reason for the OP to insert herself. It could get really ugly, real quick --- like kill the messenger type thing. The guidance counselor knows how to handle it and there would be a level of decorum built in so to speak.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #148
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Thank you. I was wondering what the heck she was thinking for saying the OP should contact the mom.

Sorry, Pug I misread your post.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #149
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

I don't see anything "stupid" about a mother contacting another mother to try to resolve a problem (that may or may not even be a problem) before involving everybody and their brother. Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

I think the majority of people in general are a little naive when it comes to HIPAA though. Everyone is making something that is very complex seem so cut and dried. It's not. Just because you didn't meet a person and shake their hand doesn't mean that they were not "involved in your care" or that they don't have the right to access your record.

Who's to say that an MD from hospital ABC didn't request that an MD (mom?) at hospital XYZ look at the CT and collaborate about the findings? The "minimum extent necessary" and all those other phrases you'll find throughout HIPAA are determined by the providers, not the patients. Everyone seeking medical care signs papers that say just that.

So, even if the mom's name is on this list that everyone thinks is going to be a piece of cake to obtain, that doesn't automatically mean that she violated HIPAA. Assuming that the mom did access the record and had a reason to do so, it would be nearly impossible to prove that she said anything to her daughter. Thankfully, people can't lose their jobs because Bobby's mom said that Suzy's mom did such and such.

More than one person would have to be involved in MD mom's ability to obtain records that she shouldn't have access to. She couldn't just go and pull up the record from another hospital on her own without any help. Help being someone at the other hospital giving her access, and I just don't believe this high school rumor is really the conspiracy that it would have to be for this story to be true. It'll be interesting to see what the outcome is either way.
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #150
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Well then the request can from the OP's son. It's his record.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: